Chapter 4. Protect

Hot & Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up to the construction noises just right near my apartment. I wasn’t really living in the luxury of being able to hear birds chirping every morning when I woke up. Today was just like any other day, I stood up and freshened myself up before changing my clothes to my school clothes, then went to school and got back home again where I got just enough time to freshen myself up once again before changing into my work clothes. Since I wasn’t able to get any money from my parents or from any people that I know of, the only way for me to be able to financially support myself is through working. I pulled my jacket on and began heading towards the convenience store, the place where I work. It wasn’t really that well-paid of a job but it did manage to help me have money for a roof over my head as well as money for food from time to time. I barely manage to make enough money for my tuition since I of course was the one who was paying for it. All of that meant that I didn't have any spare time for myself since all of it was spent working so that I could survive until the next day. I walked inside the store to see Eunbi unnie finish up with a customer. I won’t call her a friend but she has been the only person in this store that I have been talking to as well as the only person that has been trying to make an effort to get closer to me. Kind of like Chaehyun… Wait… why do I keep thinking about her even when she is not around me?

Eunbi: Thank you for coming! Please come back! Hey Jahoon! Good to see you, girl!

Eunbi unnie bowed to the customer as she left the store. I walked over to Eunbi unnie as she smiled at my arrival.

Jahoon: Has it been busy?

Eunbi: Always straight to business with you but to answer your question, not really.

Jahoon: Alright then. I will go and lay my stuff before coming out to take over, so you can go home.

I began walking to the staff room to drop my stuff off but I stopped and turned around to look at Eunbi unnie.

Jahoon: And it is good to see you too unnie.

Eunbi unnie smiled widely as she tried to compose herself to not jump on me for a hug. I plopped my stuff in the staff room and walked back to Eunbi unnie, who couldn’t resist giving me a hug. I was kind of used to it so I just let her do it.

Eunbi: I’m sorry Jahoon. I know that you don’t like it but I just can’t help myself.

Jahoon: Don’t worry. I know that you can’t.

I huffed at Eunbi unnie as she giggled and poked me in the side. All of a sudden my stomach growled loudly. I acted as if nothing had happened at all but it seemed like Eunbi unnie knew me too well.

Eunbi: How long has it been since you have eaten?

Jahoon: Just this morning.

To be honest, I haven’t been eating for around four days. I didn’t really have that much money for food after paying my rent. Eunbi unnie knows of my situation and has been taking care of me ever since finding out. I fainted one day because of long starvation due to lack of money and luckily Eunbi unnie was there or else I wouldn’t have been here today.

Eunbi: Don’t tell me that you haven’t eaten at all. You know that you can ask me for money if you don’t have any. I will be glad to help you. You know that you don’t have to pay me back.

Jahoon: I know that but I really don’t want to be in any debt to anyone.

Eunbi: So you really didn’t eat at all.

Jahoon: I didn’t say-

Eunbi: Don’t worry! I will buy some food and groceries for you. I will see you later at your apartment after you get off from work!

Eunbi unnie hugged me once again before heading off. I just stood there and watched her leave. It was really unbelievable. Sometimes she was just a bit too much but now that I think of it again, I’m happy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter