Chapter 59: Weaving a heart of lies.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Commander Junho had led a small group to search the camp for the new assassins. Joohyun and Seulgi were helping Seungwan out of the military dungeon.

 

Heechul picked up the confession letter from Taeyeon’s desk. “Good thing we managed to get a confession.”

 

“I won’t allow my son–in–law to sleep in the prison cells a day longer!” Taeyeon had a resolute expression as she straightened her back in her chair.

 

“Aiya, don’t act like an old man. Even Joohyun knows Miyoung hasn’t allowed you to return home until the seventh prince was released.”

 

Springtime welcomed the longer sunny days as Seulgi and Junho bids Wolfsbane farewell.

 

Seulgi had to report her findings of the investigation and retrieve General Xiumin’s corpse to be formally buried by the Minister of Rites. Although it’s been three months, the winter season has managed to preserve the general’s body. Placed in an icicle–based coffin, Seulgi needed to return with much haste so as to not leak the rotten smell.

 

While Junho wishes for the King to reinstate him back to the eastern borders.

 

As Seulgi mounted her steed. A call of her name made her look back.

 

“Seul!” Seungwan had left her tent in a hurry when she received word of Seulgi’s departure. She’d forgotten her outer robe. “Seul, you’re leaving already?”

 

Seulgi turned to the fourth prince who also mounted his steed. “Guards.” She commanded their . “Protect His Highness.” Two lines of guards, mixed with several imperial ghosts hidden within, straightened their postures and shouted: “Yes Ma’am!”

 

“Your Highness should leave first, I’ll catch up in a bit.”

 

“Very well.” Junho steered his horse towards the entrance of the camp and looked back to Seungwan. “Stay healthy brother, shall we meet each other again.”

 

“Of course.” Seungwan was having a hard time keeping her emotions at bay. Both her brother and best friend were leaving her. “Stay safe brother!” Seungwan waved at Junho’s back. 

 

“Wan–ah.” Seulgi’s steed moved back and forth. “The Imperial Chief Investigator doesn’t get many breaks.” She tried to lighten the mood. She knew how somber Seungwan was feeling from a look at her brows. The seventh prince was trying very hard to not sulk. “Mayb–”

 

“Husband!” Joohyun rushed towards them. Seungwan’s outer robe in hand.

 

The call plucked two heartstrings. One heart of bliss, the other of envy.

 

Joohyun strangled the seventh prince in her robes as she threw out an earful of profanities. Seulgi was uncomfortable to witness such a sight. Then she cleared and turned her steed away.

 

“It is time, I have to leave.”

 

“Write to us!” Joohyun’s attention and arms were still fussing over Seungwan’s rumpled robes, but her mind was rather far away. She wasn’t planning to watch Seulgi’s departure. But because of Seungwan’s forgotten robes, she managed an excuse.

 

The past hectic weeks were eventful day after day. But Joohyun felt internally at ease. She had Seulgi by her side and Seungwan was safe, despite being locked in the military prison for her own good. The wolfsbane captain felt…com

Please log in to read the full chapter