Chapter 18: A trouble shared is a trouble halved.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

As Seulgi rode her fastest steed out the city gates towards the east to Dongqian, a rumor circulated the capital city. 

 

“Did you hear about the Eldest Miss of the Bae Manor?”

 

“What of her?”

 

“She has fallen ill!”

 

“That’s right, you haven’t heard yet? Her wedding ceremony has been postponed!”

 

“Isn’t it only the common cold? Would she not be better once the wedding draws closer?”

 

“Aiya, that can’t possibly be it. I hear it’s because of her fiance.”

 

“You mean the seventh prince? What of him?”

 

“Aiya, don’t you know? The seventh prince has been spotted making repeated visits to the Happiness Brothel!”

 

“Eh? Really? No wonder! If I were his future in–law I would’ve called off the engagement! So close to the wedding date too? Never would I allow any of my daughters to marry such a disgrace!”

 

“How bravely spoken for a mere blacksmith…”

 

“A pity for the Eldest Miss of the Bae Estate…”

 

“Well she would have to confront it at one point. There’s truly no man who would not have stepped foot into a brothel at least once in their life.”

 

“Alright, enough of you old geezers. I am done serving you for today. Get out of my restaurant!”

 

The Seventh Prince’s reputation dealt a huge blow by the rumor. But saving Joohyun was her main priority. She had informed the Imperial Commander that Seulgi's absence was under her command. Seungwan also gave a quick visit to her future in–laws’ estate. After rounds of being chased through courtyards and dodging sticks and stones, she managed to inform them about Joohyun’s situation. Omitting Seulgi’s discovery of the family being targeted. Ending the hectic week, she returned to her chambers after explaining to her parents for the postponement of the wedding. 

 

Ever since Joohyun decided to become bait, she’s become hypersensitive to everything. It’s been a couple of days since she left the capital with the others. Her wedding ceremony was still approaching. But here she was miles away from the Royal Palace. The palace court lady in charge would definitely not be pleased with her absence for the dress fitting.

 

“Guys” Joohyun opened the door of her inn room, greeted by four cheery smiles. “I gave you money to buy something to change out of your guard armor, so we’d look less suspicious.”

 

“And we did.” Lisa motioned to their matching black robes of refined leather, as she made her way past Joohyun into the room.

 

“You’re still matching each other!” Joohyun moved aside for the rest to follow suit. “If anything, it seems like you’re actually kidnapping me now.”

 

“This is the least of your worries.” Nini pulled on Joohyun’s arm to the side table. “You won’t believe what we heard out there!”

 

“Ah right!” Jisoo poured out a cup of water and offered it to Joohyun. “Say, what kind of person is the seventh prince?”

 

“Seungwan?”

 

“Yeah, apparently he’s been visiting some brothel since you left

Please log in to read the full chapter