Chapter 1: Destined to meet.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

In Zhaoyun city, capital of the Li Kingdom. Inside a marvelous palace chamber that lay near the west axis of the royal palace, two figures were anxiously pacing back and forth. Not a single palace staff was seen in the entire courtyard. Both figures breathed quietly as they loomed over a spacious bed with an intricately carved bed frame that was lined with magnificent drapes. There lay a third figure that remain unconscious, breathing at a fairly steady rate.

 

“Seungwan–ah, how long does she plan on sleeping?”

 

“…”

 

The person on the bed was the imperial guard of Li Kingdom’s seventh heir, Kang Seulgi. Presently, in the sleeping state she appears to be pure and harmless, but for anyone that has come across her would think otherwise. For those in seek of her presence, court death. Taken in and raised alongside families of royal and noble, her adopted air of nobility made one not to underestimate her, as expected of one of the top fighters in the Li Kingdom. 

 

Seungwan stopped her pacing and stood quietly by Seulgi’s side. She looked over at her other companion who sat down by the bedside, watching worriedly. The one with uneasiness was the eldest daughter of the war god general of the Li Kingdom, Bae Joohyun. 

 

The small build and pale complexion was a reflection of her father, Bae Taeyeon, who had achieved great military merits and been awarded a noble title, raising the status of the Bae clan. Though, her black brows and eyes mirrored that of her mothers’, Bae Miyoung, one of Li Kingdom’s top beauties over a decade ago. The faint bite mark still lingering on her lips and scrunched–up brows gave her a sense of anxiousness despite the air of elegance.

 

Five years. That’s how long it’s been since Joohyun last saw Seulgi. She couldn’t believe her eyes when she saw how the small defenseless child she saved back then had grown into someone so dashing and unrefined even in her sleep!   

 

Joohyun had first met Seulgi when she was seven years old. It had been a rough year ever since Seulgi became an adolescent orphan living off the streets of Zhaoyun. Inherited from her father, Seulgi was able to move her body in ways not anyone could. Perfect to learn the martial arts!

 

Unfortunately, her father left before he could teach her anything more than to hold a stick. Living on the capital streets, Seulgi became aware of the harsh reality of survival. For a child like her with no familial support or inheritance, she could only resort to manipulation and looting. But she didn’t allow this lifestyle to brainwash her father’s teachings: to act benevolent, righteous, with propriety, and fidelity. She was just unable to do so in her current situation.

 

And currently she was being beaten up by other beggars. A scene she had been accustomed to, for not sharing her portion of rubbish leftovers she was saving for the younger begging children, when Young Miss Bae Joohyun chased the ruffians awa

Please log in to read the full chapter