Chapter 14: To have missed you by a hair’s breadth.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Splendid!” Seulgi straighten her back and led the dumbfounded mistress back upstairs with a chivalry hand. “There is much to discuss about, ladies please the young master outside before I report him to the authorities for obstruction of business. Everyone please carry on with your activities.”

 

Back inside the Phoenix Room, Seulgi helped Joy to the center table and pour her a cup of tea before settling in the seat across.

 

“Miss Joy, are you alright?” Seulgi waved her hand in front of Joy. “Miss Sooyoung?”

 

Startled from hearing her real name, she snapped her head towards Seulgi. “H–how did you know that name?”

 

Seulgi pushed the cup further towards her. “What I said down there wasn’t a complete lie. I am one of the seventh prince’s people, well, not exactly a servant. But he does wish to befriend the author of A Thousand Cries into the Night.”

 

“How d–”

 

“The handwriting on these scrolls is the same as the writing in your book.” Seulgi pointed to the wall art by the paper window she opened earlier.

 

Finally understanding her situation, she quickly got down to her knee. “Thank you, my lord, for helping me out of such misery!” She kowtowed three times.

 

“Aiya, such courtesy isn’t needed. Call me Seulgi.” Seulgi helped her up. “Didn’t you have me tied up just a few minutes ago?”

 

“Ah! Apologies for this lowly one’s unruly behavior Lord Seulgi. I deserve a hundred beatings!” She got back down to her knees.

 

“Now, now I was just pulling your leg. Don’t you see me free of the ropes. Honestly, it was terribly done. I broke out in a heartbeat. But I am serious, just call me Seulgi.” Seulgi pulled her back up. “Is it possible to ask for your cooperation now? In return for helping you out earlier?”

 

“Of course! It is the least I can do.” Joy led Seulgi by the arm back to the table. “Is it your lover that you wish to find Master Seulgi?”

 

“P–preposterous!” Seulgi reached forward to pour herself a cup of tea. 

 

“Who else would you be looking for in a brothel in the middle of the night?” Joy pressed on, delighted to see a reserved reaction, she pulled out a handkerchief and held it up to suppress her giggle.

 

“Was there a girl with a fair complexion?”

 

“Master Seulgi, there are hundreds of girls with a fair complexion…”

 

“No, no. Her complexion was as fair as a peach. Her eyes like peach blossoms. Her brows like a crescent moon. Her smile shines brighter than the starlit heavens.” Seulg’s eyes twinkled, the corner of her lip slightly curved upwards. “She has her hair tied up and wore an eloquent red robe.”

 

“She sounds really pretty.” Joy sulked. “Was she by herself?”

 

“Th– she– I’m not sure…” Seulgi looked back to the other girl, frowning as she worried about Joohyun’s current well–being. “Maybe with some sturdier looking people? Did anyone in a sort of captive situation come in here?”

 

“No. I’m pretty sure anyone of that sort would garner attention wherever they went…” Joy held her chin. “But there was this girl who wore the same outfit you described. She was a bit on the petite side and she had this air of nobility around her. She wasn’t held hostage though. She had four palace guards with her. Those type of custome

Please log in to read the full chapter