Chapter 26: To build, inherit and protect.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Old boss, two bowls of noodles please!” Joohyun settled her weapon on the wooden table. She was back in her vivid red robes with the company of her sword she had missed while pretending to be the young master Lau.

 

“Hyun, you must really think this through first.” Seulgi followed suit with her own blade.

 

“I have. I told you, you can’t talk me out of this.”

 

“But you have a we–”

 

“If you think I’m letting you walk into the south military camps alone…” The owner came out with two bowls of noodles. “Think again.”

 

It had been three days since the arrest of the Song family. The two had bid those at Happiness Brothel farewell and began their detour to Fu’nan.

 

Joohyun had written Nini and the others a letter of recommendation to join the Wolfsbane army. Witnessing their skills and loyalty she believed they would serve as greater assets to the military.

 

“I won’t be alone. I’ve already sent word back to Moonbyul, I have reinforcements coming.” Seulgi dugged her chopsticks into the bowl of noodles. “Naeun has also sent word to the Happiness branch in Fu’nan too.”

 

“Of course she has.” Joohyun harshly commented amid the mouthful of noodles. “The two of you are close enough to call each other by your first names, she wouldn’t want anything to happen to her precious ‘Seulgi’.” Joohyun mimicked the way the Naeun had addressed her.

 

“What does that have to do with you coming along to Fu’nan?”

 

At that moment, a horse from the stall nearby wandered its way over to Joohyun. With a glint of mischievousness in its eyes, the horse lightly knocked into Joohyun’s back.

 

However, Joohyun was used to the tomfoolery of a horse from helping her soldiers tame the military herds back at the north borders. It just hadn’t occurred to her that this was happening in the middle of the city and not the northern barracks. She continued on eating without a bother.

 

Then the horse became more playful and started bumping into her head, making her sway side to side.

 

“Argh, who can’t be bothered to tame their steed?” Joohyun had spilled the noodles. “And you go back to your stall before I–Lulu?” Joohyun looked at the steed and grabbed it by the reins. The white line trailing down the middle of its face struck Joohyun dumbfounded.

 

When she first arrived at the northern borders along with her father, she was given a magnificent mare that ruled the northern plains. She later found out that the horse originally belonged to Taeyeon who had caught and tamed it during the seven–year war.

 

This made her cherish the mare with adoration and care. The adoration gave the mare a sense of authority among the herd and surprised Joohyun when she was discovered to be carrying twin foals. It caused Joohyun nights of worry and distress. Eventually, the mare gave up its own life and entrusted Joohyun with the gift of a filly and a colt. She named them Lala and Lulu.

 

The chances of birthing two healthy foals were exceedingly rare. Joohyun was more than determined to raise them with care. When she returned from a battle one day and discovered that Lulu ha

Please log in to read the full chapter