Chapter 11: Haste will not get one anywhere.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Gut–wrenching, heart pumping— after several s forward of her legs Seulgi arrived back to the royal palace. Turning up at Yueliang Palace, she ransacked the residence for Seungwan. The seventh prince was nowhere to be seen. Assuming that she was still held up in an audience with the King, Seulgi sprinted back to her own residence.

 

She needed to close the city gates. The only people allowed to call for such drastic orders are those with authorization from the King or members of the royal family. Jongin. Maybe Jongin could issue a request to have it close down.

 

Just as Seulgi dashed into her chambers, she fell backward on her bum colliding into an unknown force: Somi. She now sported the same attire as Yoo Ah, proudly showing off her association with the Imperial Ghosts.

 

“Oof!”

 

“Seul! Why did you run in like that?” Moonbyul rushed forward to help her up.

 

“Captain! Are you alright?” Somi moved towards Seulgi to check for injuries.

 

“I am fine.” Seulgi walked towards the changing screens. “Byul, let Jongin know I will be meeting with him shortly. There is something I need to discuss.”

 

“Seul, I heard. Somi just told m–”

 

“Somi, have you called in the others yet? Yoo Ah won’t be able to search the whole city by herself.” Seulgi lowly growled from behind the screen.

 

“I have. I’ll be on my way too. Captain don’t…don’t worry, we’ll find her.” Somi left the room in a hurry.

 

“Seul.” Moonbyul stepped towards the screen just as Seulgi stepped out. Fully dressed in her imperial guard attire. “Seul, what do you think you are going to talk to the imperial commander about? Do you think he could get His Majesty to approve?” Moonbyul knew what Seulgi was thinking. They had trained together all these years after all. “Joohyun is only engaged, she hasn’t been added to the royal family registry yet! Her safety doesn’t fall under Commander Kim’s jurisdiction. His plea would be useless.”

 

“Now is not the time Byul.” There was no changing Seulgi’s mind: the city gates must close.

 

Grand Princess Sunkyu then. She’s been close with the Baes. The seventh prince’s fiancée has gone missing, she’s bound to make a move. Seulgi’s only met her thrice. Although she has no power in the court or harem, she was still deeply respected for her royal status.

 

“Seul, you know very well the Grand Princess would not comply with such a thing. There is too much at stake here. What were you thinking, the ghosts could have been exposed if I wasn’t here earlier!” Moonbyul raised her voice as she watched Seulgi reach for her sword.

 

“They took her Byul. They. Took. Joohyun.” Seulgi gripped her weapon tightly. “Do you think I can still be ‘thinking’ in this situation?”

 

“Seul, seul, listen to me. Seul.” Moonbyul pulled her into a hug to prevent her from leaving. “The seventh prince is waiting in your study. Discuss this with her first.”

 

“Why did you no–”

 

The door opened and Seungwan stepped in. “Oh… apologies for interrupting your… rendezvous?” She teased at the intimate interaction.

 

“Y–your highness, it is not wh–” Moonbyul took three steps away from Seulgi.

 

“Wan–ah, close the city gates. They took Joohyun.” Seulgi placed her weapon on the center table as she moved towards the seventh prince, grabbing her by the shoulders. “I have already sent people out, but we can’t risk it. The city gates must be closed!”

 

“Seul, I understand your concern. But are you not taking this a bit too far? I hear what you’re saying: they took Joohyun. But that’s…the point.” Seungwan shook herself free from the grip.  

 

“They took Bae Jooh

Please log in to read the full chapter