Chapter 16: If something is under lock and key, it is stored very securely.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Sensing the dampened atmosphere, Joy quietly made her way back to the center table to pour Seulgi another cup of tea. 

 

“Mast–”

 

“Joy.” Seulgi looked sadly at the other girl. “Just ‘Seulgi’.” 

 

Joy gave in. “Seulgi, I was told to pass this on to you. It seems like she knew how you would feel about her plans.” 

 

Joy handed her a small wooden charm with a strange carved design. “She said to give this to you when you were ever to “loudly reject such a genius plan” were her words.” 

 

“Oh! Don’t you have a pendant of the same wood? The one you always keep up your right sleeve.” Moonbyul watched Seulgi reach for her right wrist. 

 

Hearing this she smiled for a short moment. Moonbyul was right. The pendant charms were a pair. Carved from the branches of a cherry blossom tree, Seulgi gifted them to Joohyun not soon after entering the estate. 

…  

Seulgi shielded her eyes from the sun as she took a peek at the sky. It was already leaning west. It’s been a week since Seulgi came to the Bae estate. Much to her frustration she was still having trouble remembering where her chambers were. 

 

Unconsciously, she followed a fragrant trail into a courtyard filled with flowers. It was the Jewel Flower Garden! 

 

Suddenly hearing small sobs, she ventured deeper into the garden. In a small corner to the left of the garden flourished a field of cherry blossom trees. Underneath the smallest tree among them was a little figure crouched up like a shrimp. Seulgi found the back side familiar. 

 

“Joohyun?” Little Seulgi slowly made her way closer. “Are you alright?”

 

Startled at the call of her name, Joohyun peeked out from her arms. Her red eyes puffy. Tears coursed down her cheeks. Lips trembled. “Seulgi–ah?”

 

Seulgi reached out for the other girl. “Joohyun! What’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

 

“Seulgi–ah…” Joohyun continued her cries upon Seulgi’s shoulders.

 

The slanting rays of the setting sun gave a warm orange tinge to the sky. Joohyun’s crying had stopped. But she stayed in Seulgi’s hold.

 

“Do you feel better now?” 

 

Joohyun hummed in acknowledgment. 

 

“What’s the matter?”

 

Joohyun shifted in her position, pulling her knees up to her chest. “My grandfather has gone on a diplomatic trip to the northern lands. He started his trip last week. My mother was worried, so she decided to him a couple of cities to the northern borders. But then on the way back, her group was ambushed right outside the city gates.”

 

“Oh no! That’s terrible! Have you informed Lord Bae of this yet?” Seulgi sat up straight, worriedness etched her brows. “Is this why you were crying?”

 

“What? No silly.” Joohyun pulled the other girl back over to lean on her shoulder. “My father has already been informed, and she rushed off to rescue mother in a heartbeat.”

 

“W–well then why were you in tears?” 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter