Chapter 15: In hardship, we see true friendship.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

At Yueliang Palace in the north of the estate. 

 

Pa! The sound of shattered teacups echoed through Seulgi’s residence. The floor was scattered with broken glass. The owner disheveled. Untidy hair poking out in every direction. Her robes dirtied and uneven. Her feet missing a pair of boots. Red thick liquids trickling down her fingers. Her eyes devoid of spirit. 

 

“Seul do you thi– Seul! Seulgi!” The seventh prince rushed into the bedroom chambers, careful to avoid the broken glass. 

 

“Wan–ah I couldn’t… Joohyun… I…find her.” Seulgi collapsed into Seungwan. 

 

Rushing the imperial guard back to her bedroom chambers, she carefully washed and dressed her wounds before changing Seulgi into a clean set of clothes. 

 

“Your Royal Highness.” A eunuch announced from the chamber doors. “A visitor wishes to seek an audience with you.” 

 

“Invite her in and tell someone to brew some tea.” The prince sauntered off to the side table. Her eyes still lingered upon Seulgi’s slumber state. 

 

“Seulgi!” Moonbyul barged in. Her hair was displaced adorned with drops of sweat. “Y–your Highness, please pardon my intrusion.” Moonbyul dropped to her knees. Her eyes drifted to Seulgi. 

 

“Away with the courtesy.” Seungwan swiftly pulled Moonbyul towards the unconscious figure. “Her arms were cut from the broken teacups. I just finished washing and dressing the wounds. Quickly check her condition.” 

 

Asides from her defensive planning, Moonbyul also made huge contributions to the imperial  infirmary team. “Her pulse is steadying. A bit fatigue, the stress seems to be taking a toll on her.” 

 

They both breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“Your Royal Highness. The visitor is here.” The eunuch reappeared with a tray of tea along with another person behind.

 

“Visitor?” Seungwan stepped out to the center of her room. “Wasn’t it Moo–”

 

“Respects to the Royal Highness.” A fairy like tone voice greeted the prince. 

 

Moonbyul quickly pulled down the bed curtains and hid behind a pillar separating the bed and the center of the room. 

 

“W–who are you?” Seungwan took a step away from the delicate stranger. 

 

Joy kowtowed to the prince, bringing forth the Palace token she received from Seulgi. 

 

Seulgi’s plaque? Why does she have it? “You may leave.” She dismissed the eunuch. She made her way to the center table and pour herself a cup of tea.

 

“Away with the courtesy, explain why you have that token.” Seungwan demanded, her deep voice carried with it a flow of authority. 

 

“Your Royal Highness, this lowly one received it fro–” Joy stood up from her position and took a step closer to reply. From the corner of her eyes, she caught a glimpse of some black robes sticking out from the bed curtains. 

 

Since birth, Joy was born with the ability to recall anything the moment she sets her eyes on it. It was thanks to this talent of hers that helped her build the network of courtesan spies she has today. Every secret that was recorded and passed through Happiness Brothel had been engrained in her mind. It was no mistake, those robes belonged to Seulgi!

 

Whipping her head towards the robes, she unconsciously stepped towards the bed. 

 

Startled, Seungwan abruptly stood up. From behind the pillar, Moonyul slid out, her hands shaped like a tiger’s claw as she launched towards Joy. 

 

But Joy was not only a beauty to be admired. She was a dangerous beauty. For the sake of her captivating looks, her adoptive mother had also trained her in the martial arts! As the owner of an information trade, she not only had the looks but also the skills. Truly a target of envy!

Please log in to read the full chapter