Chapter 54: The wife seeks a concubine.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

The season of cherries brought upon humid air and annoying mosquitoes to the military camp.

 

Seungwan had managed to adapt to the majority of life in the barracks. Starting at dawn, she would wake up alongside Joohyun, and the two would wash up and eat breakfast together. Then her wife would begin their training lessons until noon.

 

Seungwan grew up in a sheltered life away from the need to wield a weapon. Although she would undoubtedly be protected no matter the circumstances because of her royal status, she still wanted to learn how to defend herself. She had told them: “If I can learn to protect myself, those that were assigned to protect me can assist in the war.”

 

When noon came, Seungwan helped the military cooks make lunch. Then she meets up with military strategists Kyungsoo and Chen for their lessons. Although the seventh prince had managed to finish the assigned readings on the strategy of war from the other two strategists, she still had a long way before proving to be of service. But they found that Seungwan had potential. A pity she had been caged in the palace her whole life…

 

Then when the sun begins setting, she would return to the cook’s side and help with dinner. During dinner Seungwan would spend hours conversing with the soldiers of Wolfsbane. Whether they were sharing memories of the fallen or demonstrating battles of victories, she cried and laughed along with them.

 

Quite different from Joohyun. The army captain was very similar to her father in that they strayed away from attention. They usually keep to themselves while doing daily tasks. But it was inevitable, their characters of raw talent radiated even without them having to lift a finger. Wherever they went, heads would lift towards their direction. They were the sensational silent type.

 

She was the opposite of Seungwan. That was how they were. If one was the light, the other was darkness. When one had a frown, the other held a smile. If Joohyun was too cold from winter, Seungwan brought her the summer’s warmth.

 

Joohyun was delighted to witness how Seungwan had become accustomed to the army life. It was here in the northern city of Lengxue that the daughter of the war god general felt at home, ironic as it sounds.

 

She had experienced some of the lowest and highest points of her life in the barracks. She was looking forward to the day she would be able to reunite with Seulgi and Seungwan in this city once peace had prospered through the lands of the Li Kingdom. She was halfway there.

 

The young couple were back in Joohyun’s tent. As a Captain, one of the few privileges was the spacious tent. When Seungwan was granted a tent fit for a prince, she had asked Joohyun to move in with her. But when her wife refused, she ended up moving into Joohyun’s tent instead.

 

The seventh prince was settling on their bed while Joohyun was finishing up some calculations of the military’s finances.

 

“Wife, are you sure you don’t need help?”

 

“It is fine, husband. I’m almost done. You can sleep first.”

Please log in to read the full chapter