Chapter 51: There are more ways than one to protect.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Clang. Clang. Clang–clang!

 

“Seulgi.” Joy quickly raised her sword against Seulgi’s attack. “I’m tired, let’s take a break.”

 

Seulgi had been staying at the underground lair of Happiness Brothel for the past three days since the daunting court session. Her mind had been racing nonstop, so she decided to physically exhaust herself in order to distract her thinking.

 

“A little bit longer.” Seulgi somersaulted backward to avoid Joy’s forward slash.

 

“We’ve been at this for three hours now!” Joy threw her blade upwards. She held her right hand out, as if holding an invisible ball, and channeled her inner force into her palm. As the sword descended back to her, she struck the pommel.

 

The blade spiraled straight at Seulgi who just landed from her somersault. She was a second late to avoid the whole edge of the sword. It left a small cut on the side of her shoulder. “Argh.”

 

“Seulgi!” Joy rushed forward.

 

“I’m fine. Just a small cut on the skin.” She went to pick up Joy’s sword and returned it to the latter. The stress from separating from Seungwan was affecting her concentration.

 

“Seulgi I’ve landed seven blows on you the past three days. Something is clearly bothering you.” They left the training rooms and settled in the main meeting hall. “Until when will you share your problems? I can’t help if you don’t tell me.”

 

Seulgi had been spending three sleepless nights figuring out how she was going to be able to safeguard Seungwan and Joohyun in the northern borders if she was stuck back at the Royal Palace.

 

“Aiyaa, you really…you–you, aiya!” Joy was frustrated. She splashed her cup of water at Seulgi. The latter didn’t make any attempt to avoid it. Maybe it was because she needed a slap of reality.

 

“Just because you won’t be by their side all the time doesn’t mean you can’t protect them anymore. Haven’t you noticed that mindset is a setback of your potential?”

 

“What do you mean?” Seulgi wiped her face with her sleeve.

 

“Aiya, think back to when you two were in Dongqian. When Joohyun was caught by the young master of the Song family, you had Naeun send in the courtesan spies. If you hadn’t done so, even with Joohyun’s skills, only she would’ve been able to escape that night needless to say if her four companions and Chorong could’ve made it out alive. Or what about when you were in Fu’nan? Hwasa never failed to send word of how you would direct the Roulette Battalion to keep a close eye on her whenever they see her going off to some place with the corrupted officials. And she wouldn’t have gotten away from Jiyong if you didn’t arrange for the ghosts to stage an assassination attempt.”

 

“…”

 

“Don’t get me started with how you’ve been protecting Seungwan all these years. She’s told me how you discreetly took control of the palace security by taking in the best of the best and turning them into your trusted aid. You have them everywhere in the palace! How have you not figured it out yet?”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Aiya…” Joy poured herself another cup of water. “Can’t you see the best way to protect those you care for is not to be beside them yourselves but to send your most loyal and trusted people to safeguard them? You’ve been doing this for, heavens, how long already…? Kang Seulgi, my . Kang Pabo is more like it.” She teased.

 

The spark in Seulgi’s mind went off. Joy’s guidance finally made sense. Her brows narrowed the more she thought. “But I only have people in the Royal Palace. I’ve never been to Lengxue how am I supposed to manage their safety from here?”

 

Joy clasped her palms together and straightened her back. “Right. Here I actually had something to talk with you about. I…I am planning to return to my parents.”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter