Chapter 44: The surging torrent of love.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Joohyun was stumped. The soft smile vanished instantly. “What do you mean Seulgi–ah? H–how can you say something like that?”

 

“There was nothing official about it. Father and mother weren’t there. We were just complying with the wishes of a crazy woman.” Seulgi stood back up.

 

“But still…”

 

“Lord Bae, Lady Bae, the best plan of action…” Seulgi took a breath, it was taking an emotional toll on her to deliver the idea in the highest regard. Slipping into formalities was a nervous habit. “…is to disregard last night’s events.”

 

“D–disregard? Has our matrimony not been witnessed by the moon and stars already! Seulgi–ah…”

 

“We only did what we had to do to survive, surely you can’t think of it as it is? How can I possibly replace Seungwan?”

 

“I–wh– Seulgi–ah what are you saying?” Joohyun felt a stirring sensation from within.

 

“Joohyun has a point, Seulgi, why are you bringing the seventh prince into this?” Taeyeon sided with her eldest daughter.

 

“Hyun, your engagement to Seungwan can’t be revoked. It was decreed by the King! You and everyone else could be imprisoned for defying against it.”

 

“Hyunnie, Seulgi’s right about that.” Miyoung defended her.

 

“I–I…right…we’ll come up with something. Let’s just–”

 

“Hyun, you know very well there is no ‘something’.” It was foul but Seulgi knew what to use to her advantage. It was the only way for her to get through to Joohyun. “Didn’t your ancestors pour their hearts into building the vast Li Kingdom with the past sovereigns? Father also dripped blood and sweat to inherit the responsibility. Aren’t you supposed to help protect it? Are you willing to risk a possible civil war between the conflicting power struggles of the court? Just because of a mistake you’ll regret for a lifetime?”

 

Paack!

 

“Never have I regretted any of my decisions.” Joohyun was livid. How could that marriage ceremony ever be a mistake? Her voice deepened and she said: “There might be a few mistakes I’ve made here and there. But I’ve been taught to weigh the consequences of my actions. Regret was never an option.”

 

In all of their parental years, Taeyeon and Miyoung had never seen Joohyun lay her hands on Seulgi as she did just now. They both knew how it hurt Joohyun more than the latter.

 

“C–coming Suzy!” Miyoung tactfully dragged Taeyeon out of the hall.

 

“What? I didn’t hea–ow!”

 

With only the two of them left, Seulgi’s façade softened. “Hyun…” It had always been like this. 

Like how wine enhances the taste of meat or how green tea completes dim sum. They are the two shadows under a single lighting. If one was a devil, the other was the little monster from within. They aren’t opposites but rather the stars that accompany the moon. Joohyun was her star as Seulgi was her moon. If only they had the will of heaven and earth.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter