Chapter 38: It takes more than one cold day for the river to freeze three feet deep.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“What is with this setup?” Joohyun crossed her arms.

 

“There, there little girl.” Yuri clicked her tongue. “No need to rush.” She gestured for four young men to come forward.

 

“I had sought out four young scholars, who had taken shelter at my inn, for a favor and they were more than happy to help.” She directed her attention to Seulgi. “You claimed that you two have had feelings for each other even before the marriage was arranged, correct? Meaning you've spent much of your childhood together?”

 

Ignoring the fluctuating pacing of her heart, Seulgi calmly nodded her head.

 

“Then I can assume you both were once classmates at an academy?”

 

Joohyun was becoming impatient. “So what if we were?”

 

“Then this trial should be done with a breeze.” Yuri nodded to the four young scholars who made their way towards the desks.

 

For the first trial, among four others, Seulgi would have to write a poem and Joohyun had to figure out which one belonged to Seulgi. On the surface, it seemed as if the Madame wanted to test whether they could recognize each other’s handwriting. If that was actually the case, the duo would truly pass with flying colors.

 

That was because Joohyun was the very person who taught Seulgi how to write! When her father first announced that Seulgi would be joining her during her tutoring sessions, she was overjoyed.

 

The seven–year–old had whisked Seulgi away to her chambers right after dinner to prepare the latter for their first tutor lesson together the next day. She didn’t want Seulgi to fall behind in her first class. After hundreds of tracings and much help of the order on Joohyun’s part, Seulgi had managed to vigilantly write Joohyun’s name.

 

The fact that their communication was through letters for the five recent years didn’t help Yuri’s case at all. Forget the whole character, Joohyun would be able to recognize even a of Seulgi’s handwriting.

 

However, Yuri requested a poem in order to test the level of Seulgi’s literacy. Throughout the Li Kingdom, it was a great accomplishment for scholars to learn, memorize, analyze, and apply poems that have been taught from The Kingdom Come. This was a book composed of a large collection of poems that have attributed to the political and social progression of Great Li since archaic times.

 

Every civil officer of the court has learned and upheld this ancient book in the depths of their mind and heart. Every royal heir’s education, no matter the gender, has been raised on the basis of the book. Even examiners

Please log in to read the full chapter