Chapter 33: A sin to touch the belongings of a sleeping tiger.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Once Joohyun returned to the room, the snakes interrogated her about Hwasa. She had attempted to play it off as if they were only acquaintances until Jiyong was the one who suggested she request Hwasa’s services the next time they all gathered again. Seeing this as a chance to earn his trust, she said she would try to convince her.

 

When the group departed for the night, she stayed back to bring the idea up with Hwasa.

 

“Are you sure about accepting this?” Joohyun pulled Hwasa down to be seated at the center table in one of the ion house’s back rooms. “You’re aware of the type of people they are right? Who knows what these ruthless people could do to you?”

 

Hwasa chuckled. “I’ve been here longer than you. I’m pretty sure I have some ideas.”

 

“But still…”

 

“Young Miss Bae, it will be fine. I’ll come in towards the end if it’ll make you feel better.” Hwasa wore a mischievous grin. “Just one sip of our One Shot One Kill, a subtle caress of their little juniors and they believe they had the most passionate night of their lives.”

 

“…”

 

The following weeks passed by quietly. Too quietly to Seulgi’s liking. Suho hadn’t been acting the same. There were no more grudges and petty pranks for Joohyun to avoid. He seemed more like a stalker instead. His eyes followed her wherever she went. But rather than eyes of irritation, they were eyes of…hunger?

 

When Seulgi first brought this up with her, she dismissed the latter’s paranoia. There were more important things to deal with at hand. Jiyong was planning something big, and this meant that both vanguard generals had to take leave from the camp. This resulted in Suho dealing with the financial management while Joohyun completely took over resource administrations. She was a step closer to possessing the ledger.

 

The camp was a bit barren, save for a few soldiers and much of the Roulette Battalion, on this starry night of the Mid–Autumn Festival. Suho had been full of vitality since the morning. He had allowed many of the army soldiers to take vacation leave to return to Fu’nan in celebration of the harvest festival.

 

As the full moon succeeded the night sky, Suho loudly whistled a hometown lullaby as he made his way towards Joohyun’s tent. A pot of wine in one hand and a book in the other.

 

“To what do I owe the battalion commander for his visit to my humble tent?” Joohyun looked up from her desk when Suho barged in.

 

“Now, now, no need to address me so formally. We’re of the same rank.” He placed the pot of wine atop of the pile of paperwork Joohyun had been reviewing. “It’s the mid–autumn festival, why don’t you take a break and appreciate the moon while enjoying some wine with me?”

 

“Thank you, but no thank you.” Joohyun raised her brow and pushed the pot back into his arms.

 

“Tsk tsk, come on now.” Suho walked over to the small drinking table located at the side of the tent. “I brought over what you asked for.” He waved the blue book in his hand.

 

Joohyun almost froze but carried on her task. “Did you? Just leave it there, I’ll take a look at it once I finish up this paperwork.” She kept her composure and continued to review the files. Just a little more, she thought.

 

Suho chuckled, heavily. “Aiya, shouldn’t you be thanking me?” He took a cup from the tea set on the drinking table and poured out a cup of wine from the pot. “I know, I know you’d rather die than thank me right? I shall admit, I would say the same.”

 

He walked back to Joohyun and offered her the cup of wine. “Then how about you finish this cup instead and I’ll acknowledge it as your appreciation.”

 

She received the cup with a forced smile and thought: just drink it and get rid of him.

 

Suho gave a chesire grin after seeing the emptied cup. “What do you think? Peach Blossom wine, I had them delivered all the way from Dongqian.”

Please log in to read the full chapter