Chapter 29: To stir the grass and startle the snake.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

The clashing of Joohyun’s stubbornness against Seulgi’s unduly protective instincts lasted five days until it was decided that they both entered the military camp to steal the ledger. The plan was to enter under the guise of the contract slave soldier and the exporter. Apparently, the man was promised a position as a military official for the successful delivery.

 

Joohyun naturally took charge of the mission. It had taken Sunyoung three days to forge the half-snake totem on the back of Joohyun’s hand. The differences were unnoticeable, but she should steer away from careful observations if possible. With her military experience, they agreed she would be able to draw the general’s attention. Once she rises in rank, she’ll be able to locate the ledger.

 

The only issue was that she needed to cross-dress since the deliveryman was… a man. That meant Joohyun needed to protect her identity as a woman as well as the fake emblem. Seulgi was beyond distressed but the former didn’t allow her the time of day.

 

Seulgi would be the contract slave sent in to infiltrate the Snake of the South. If there really was a secret army Joohyun needed to send word to her father to take precautions.

 

The two were split up after entering the military camp. Joohyun was whisked away to assess her requirements for the official position. Seulgi was dragged into the darkest and dirtiest place in the camp, the northwest.

 

Clothes of a soldier were into her arms before she was thrown alongside others washing and drying clothes. Then they had to sharpen arrowheads. Afterwards, they were tasked to unload and store provisions. And then, clean the horse stalls. Day by day, Seulgi and the whole group of the northwest were assigned menial chores.

 

There were no conversations exchanged or comrade bonds between the soldiers and officials. These soldiers kept to themselves during the day and focused on their own assigned chores. It was at night, that Seulgi realized, these slave soldiers would gather together to check up on one another.

 

She needed to show them she was one of them to find out anything more. But how? The opportunity was given to her when one of the patrolling officials had beaten a slave soldier from across the barracks. The slave got kicked in the stomach and coughed up blood when she was sent spiraling.

 

Seulgi, who was transferring a pile of towels, quickly slipped her foot out to trip the official as he made his way over to continue the beating. Seulgi ended up becoming his punching bag.

 

But because of the incident, Seulgi was welcomed into their group that night.

 

“Here, that’ll help with the pain.” A female slave soldier offered her a cloth-covered hot rock.

 

“A rock?”

 

“The heat will reinvigorate your blood circulation.”

 

Seulgi dismissed her aid. “It wasn’t t

Please log in to read the full chapter