Chapter 5: Oath in a Sea of Blood.

Kingmaker: A Hidden Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

The chamber doors suddenly burst open. A slender–looking girl draped in black leather robes, similar to Seulgis’, gasped for air as she made her way towards the table and poured herself a cup of water.

 

“Yah, Kang idio–” The intruder dropped to her knees and brought her fists together in front of her chest. “ Greetings to Your Royal Highness and Young Miss Bae. Apologies for my rude behavior!”

 

“It’s alright Moonbyul. You don’t need to be so formal. It’s just us.” Seungwan broke out of her reminiscence and moved forward to help Moonbyul up. “Did you need Seulgi for something?”

 

“Ah, yes! Imperial Captain h-how are you doing?” Moonbyul stepped closer to get a look at Seulgi. She felt a bit intimidated by the stare of daggers the Young Miss had been giving. “The Imperial Commander has been asking about your well–being and when you can repo–”

 

“She just woke up. She needs to rest! Who is this imperial comma–”

 

“Hyun–ah, I’m fine now.” Seulgi gave Joohyun’s arm a light squeeze and a small smile to calm her down. “I should report to him about this morning’s incident. It concerns your and Seungwan’s safety.”  

 

“But–”

 

“Joohyun, nothing’s going to change her mind.” Seungwan passed Seulgi her sword. “We’ll be waiting for you here when you get back.” She gave Seulgi a forced smile.

 

“Seu–” Too late, Joohyun gave a sigh of defeat as Seulgi quickly left the room with Moonbyul.

 

Seungwan made her way to the center table pouring out a cup of tea. She beckoned Joohyun over. “Do you see what I mean?” The two situated themselves around the table in Seulgi’s bedroom chambers.

 

Joohyun didn’t want to admit it, but it was obvious how much Seulgi had changed while she was away at war. Asides from appearance, Seulgi had become more restrained and a bit indifferent. She was still caring as she always was. But Joohyun felt it, a colder airy persona enveloped Seulgi the second she opened her eyes. The younger Seulgi would listen to every word she said. But just a moment ago, it felt like her concerns were dismissed in an instant. Although she had been informed of such changes from Seungwan, she didn’t want to believe it. 

 

Over the years that she had gone off to the northern borders, Joohyun would write letters to send to the two of them back at the capital almost every day. Seulgi would reply with random parts of her day, new people she befriended, new training drills she practiced, and complaints about how Seungwan gets bullied every now and then. But she didn’t need to worry because Seulgi was by the prince’s side now. Seungwan, on the other hand, would talk about the class materials she’s been missing out on. A letter twice a month compared to Seulgi’s weekly messages.

 

Sometimes Seulgi’s letters can be quite dramatic. Like how one time the crown prince had his guards lock Seulgi and Seungwan in a cargo of valuable goodies the King planned to send to the prime minister.

 

Other times it was refreshing. Like when Seulgi started to make new friends, both guards, and servants, in the royal palace by helping them stand up to the crown prince’s lackeys. Or even when she rose in rank as a palace guard. Her letters increased as the years passed by. 

 

Joohyun’s favorite was when Seulgi rescued Seungwan and was promoted to imperial captain of the Yueliang Palace, the seventh prince’s residence.

The streets of Zhaoyun were bustling with peddlers as they carry assorted goods with a pole on their shoulders or in a pushing cart, making rounds trying to sell their knickknacks, garnering the attention of women and children passing by.

 

Seulgi and the secret embroidered uniform guards were just informed of the seventh prince’s sudden disappearance and although every available guard was sent out to find her. The search was kept under wraps in order to prevent a city–wide panic.

 

Seulgi was restless. It had been her fault. If only she didn’t fall for the crown prince’s tricks and left the seventh prince’s side. She could have kept Seungwan safe.

 

It was still daytime when the seventh prince was reported missing. It did not make sense for her to be kidnapped. But it was also not like Seungwan had walked out of the royal palace on her own, the entrance guards would have been notified.  

 

Dressed in a splendid orange robe, Seulgi roamed the streets, looking like the young master of a rich merchant family. She rushed in and out of shops and inns, hoping to see the familiar mini-sized scholar she had been tasked to look after the past two years.

 

Upon entering a pawn shop, a few miles close to the city gates, Seulgi spotted a casual blue set of the prince’s clothes on the top back shelf. The shop manager had pawned the owner of the blue set of extravagant robes for a jaded archer ring of equal value, despite the young age.

 

Taking back the robes, she flashed her badge, indicating that she came from the royal palace. Seulgi made her way back out front and searched through the surrounding areas. She stumbled past an exchange between a group of beggars ganging up on a child dressed in rags.

 

Unable to take action in the space of wandering eyes, Seulgi followed them as they drag the child down a secluded alley into an abandoned building concealed from the public eye.

 

The run–down building was a place of gathering for homeless beggars. They forced orphans to beg for money on the busy streets in exchange for accommodation during the night. The seventh prince happened to fall victim to such outrageous schemes!

 

Although their first meeting was memorable, Seungwan was ecstatic when Joohyun first introduced her to Seulgi. Surprisingly, they matched well with each other. She excelled in what the imperial guard lack and Seulgi reinforced her weak points. When she found out that Seulgi shared the same birthday as hers, she planned to celebrate this y

Please log in to read the full chapter