Inevitable

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The notion that she somehow wakes up in a reality in which she would be in the arms of one Kim Minji and not some abandoned lab is something she hopes for when she opens her eyes.

Ironically, that very notion is now being realized. 

Yes, Haerin has once again found herself in none other than the arms of Kim Minji, only this time, the girl is wide awake, though sadly, her attention isn’t on Haerin. Instead, Kim Minji has her full attention on the book in her hand, much to Haerin’s dismay.

It’s just a book, Kang Haerin. Don’t be such a drama queen. 

Haerin decides to look around and realizes very quickly that this isn’t the same place as before. This place or should she say room feels much more modern. The walls are white, the floors are of a light brown shade and the addition of plants in the room makes her feel sort of sleepy, despite the fact that she literally just woke up.

She takes another quick glance at Minji who is now looking at her intently, giving her her absolute attention, so much so that the book that was in her hand before, is now left aside.

“Hey, did you have a good nap?”

Haerin carefully observes the girl, somehow or rather Minji looks rather young here, almost as if she is only 16, which makes no sense because how can Minji age backwards? The last time she saw Minji was when the girl was a little older, perhaps 18.

And even Doctor Minji looks 18 ish. Wait, she isn’t sure anymore. Now that she recalls, Doctor Minji looks 20 ish instead. Ah, maybe she is hallucinating, maybe she has gone insane.

Or, maybe…

Maybe, just maybe this is all a dream. Haerin pinches her cheeks and frowns at the pain she feels. Okay, so this is definitely not a dream.

“Why are you pinching yourself, silly? This isn’t a dream.”

Minji playfully says with a smile on her pretty face. Haerin blinks awkwardly in response, can Minji read her mind or something? Or maybe she is just predictable.

Yeah, that must be it.

“Can I ask you something?”

She hears Minji asks, as she turns around completely this time only to find that pair of round eyes staring intensely into hers. Minji’s stare is so intense, so much so, that Haerin has to look away briefly to the front before nodding her head in response.

She feels a blush creeping onto her face as she wonders what would Minji be curious about.

“How close are you with Danielle Marsh?”

Okay, she did not expect this at all. But, this is rather odd because this is a name she isn’t quite familiar with. Danielle, Danielle, who is Danielle Marsh?

She looks around and notices a few photos in little frames. Almost every frame was a photo of Minji and her but she sees a particular photo in which she was smiling with another girl, a girl who certainly isn’t Kim Minji. The photo was marked with the name Haerin and Dani.

So Haerin assumes that Dani is short for Danielle because it seems logical and it does seem even more convincing since the girl also looks very much like a foreigner. Ah, she must be the girl Minji is referring to. However, she has no recollection of who this girl may be. But looking at the photo in question, they should be close. So she tries to give an answer that is vague, in hopes Minji will not probe further.

“I guess we are pretty close.”

While saying that, Haerin turns around again to face Minji, which is honestly a big mistake because now the older girl is frowning deeply. 

“I see.” 

Is Minji upset? It’s obvious that the girl seems rather upset by her answer but Haerin can’t help but to wonder why.

But all of her thoughts dissipates when the older girl wraps her long arms around her. Haerin looks back to the front, finding the sudden skinship eliciting a rapid heartbeat from within.

“Closer than us?”

The older girl timidly asks with a slight quiver in her tone. Haerin tries to think for a moment. What should she be answering? How close are they in this reality anyway? Does she even like Minji in this reality?

Perhaps, isn’t it safe to assume just judging by how fast her heart is racing and how her cheeks are flushing that she does like the older girl and that she is pretty much destined to fall for Kim Minji in every single reality they are in?

Or is she just jumping to conclusions way too soon? Because Haerin does have a tendency of doing that.

Especially when it comes to a certain Kim Minji.

“We are pretty close too.”

She feels the arms around her slowly break apart and the older girl shifting on the bed to stand up, leaving her perplexed at the sudden loss of warmth.

Haerin thinks this is the part where Minji walks away and perhaps this is the reality in which she doesn’t actually end up with the older girl because what kind of answer is “we are pretty close too.” She practically friendzoned the older girl. It’s times like these that she sometimes dislikes herself for talking too soon without thinking.

While all of this is transpiring in her head, reality can be very different it seems. The next thing she knows, she finds Kim Minji kneeling before her, taking her hands into hers with a determined look on her face.

Is she going to propose or something? What’s with that determined look? At sixteen? Okay, this is a little crazy, no this is insane but it doesn’t help that Haerin is quite the impulsive person too so there is actually a high chance that she might actually say yes.

“I don’t think it’s enough for me, Haerin.”

Minji shifts forward and now takes her hands to her pouty lips to place a light kiss. Light it feels on the outside but it sure feels heavy for Haerin on the inside. She becomes a complete mess at that single gesture.

“I know I should be satisfied with how things are but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter