Inexorable

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Third time’s the charm.

Or maybe not.

Because here she is back in the lab, though for some strange reason it didn’t look as abandoned as before.

It looks almost new, as if it has just been built yesterday. Haerin takes in the overall white interior and once more she finds herself gravitating to the diamond shaped object she saw from her previous visit here.

Strangely enough the light is strong this time, not weak as before and she sees a thick file placed next to it labelled “Operation Diamond, led by Dr Kim Minji.”

Diamond? Guess this explains the shape of the diamond shaped object. But now she is curious. What is the purpose of this operation anyway?

She opens the file and finds a lone thumb drive clipped onto the first page. She examines the thumb drive and notices the wording written on top, “for infinity and in every reality.”

Haerin looks around for a laptop and she finds one conveniently sitting on the big lone table in the lab. She quickly opens the laptop and inserts the thumb drive. Within seconds, the screen shows a popup, prompting her to key in a password. 

Okay but what is the password? 

She tries typing in the wording written on top of the thumb drive. Wrong.

She tries to type in Minji’s birthday. Also wrong.

She thinks for a bit and decides to try her birthday instead, because it is possible. 

Wrong.

Haerin lets out a sigh, not even her birthday will cut it. Just what is the password?

Wait, isn’t this thumb drive clipped to the file? Ah perhaps she should try the file’s name.

Bingo. It opens and almost immediately, a video begins to play. On the screen looking so very happy is her beloved, seemingly standing in front of a cake surrounded by family and friends during a party.

Haerin hears herself telling Minji to make a wish so she assumes that she was the one holding the camera as this all unfolds. Instead of making a wish, the older girl tells her to put down the camera instead and join her.

For some strange unexplainable reason, as she sees herself onscreen, walking towards Minji with a big smile, she feels very odd looking at herself on the screen. Though it looks very much like her, it feels nothing like her.

Or maybe it is because she simply doesn’t have a recollection of any of this happening.

In fact, the Haerin on the screen acts differently too. She seems so playful and happy, nothing like what Haerin actually is.

Are they even the same person?

As she watch them blow the candles, Minji pulls onscreen Haerin close with a smile so wide, it is painfully obvious even to Haerin that onscreen Haerin is the sole reason of her happiness.

“It is my birthday but I would like to announce something more important. My favourite person in the whole wide world, Kang Haerin has also succeeded in getting a spot in Harvard!”

As loud cheering and claps ensues, onscreen Haerin thanks everyone briefly before engulfing Kim Minji into a tight hug.

Minji of course pulls her in even closer, the two of them completely ignoring everyone else around them. And as if everyone finds the sight before them a natural occurrence, they left the two to their own devices.

As the two break the hug, Haerin pays close attention to the fact that the camera was still recording their conversation.

“Congratulations, baby.”

“Thank you, I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“No, you definitely could.”

“No, I couldn’t.”

“Baby, you are the top student in school, don’t kid yourself.”

“I only studied hard because I want to be with you. That is all there is to it.”

“As romantic as that sounds, I hope you didn’t choose to be a doctor simply because of that reason.”

“No, you know the reason. I want to help, you can’t keep doing it alone.”

“Baby, just your very existence and the fact that you are mine is enough for me.”

Onscreen Haerin begins to smile widely and Minji does the same, now connecting their foreheads together.

“You are so cheesy now. I prefer the smooth you during the dance when we first met. Whatever happened to that Minji?”

“Says the one still dating me.” 

The two share a kiss and just as Minji is about to say something, the video suddenly skips to another scene with onscreen Haerin staring at the camera with an annoyed expression. 

This time Haerin notices, onscreen Haerin is just casually strolling along the beach and Minji seems to be one holding the camera now

“Oh come on, how long are you going to record me? Come here.”

“I’m making a compilation remember? Indulge me baby.”

“But you already recorded so much, how is that camera still functioning?”

“I upgraded the memory card, of course!”

Onscreen Haerin merely rolls her eyes before walking towards the tides, basking in the bright sunlight slowly fading into a beautiful sunset.

Haerin sees the camera zooming in to onscreen Haerin and hears Minji saying to herself very softly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter