Interference

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Miss Kang Haerin, is that your name?”

Haerin blinks her eyes, once. Twice.

Why is she at some posh lounge? Is this some sort of event? She looks around and notices the big banner on the wall, with the words “Happy Birthday to our beloved Pham Hanni!”

Hanni? That name…what sort of reality is this? If Hanni is celebrating her birthday, why is Haerin here?

Well, unless.

“Miss, you need to answer me so we can register the other guests, are you Miss Kang Haerin?”

Haerin hears herself being called again, this time in a very frustrating tone by the woman in front of her. 

Oh, she looks pissed. Haerin nods quickly with an apologetic look. Almost immediately, the woman in front of her gives her a wide smile and ticks something off the list in front of her.

“Okay, I think we are good to go. On more thing, is your partner here already?”

“Sorry, who?”

The woman gives her a surprised look this time, whilst twirling the pen in her hand with curiosity evident in her eyes.

“Is Ms Danielle Marsh not your partner? Last I checked she announced your engagement at her opening event.”

Haerin widens her eyes in shock. Wait, what? Is this finally a reality where she isn’t in love with Minji?

A pair of hands pulling her close startles her even more as she finds herself in the arms of the mentioned person earlier. This includes a quick peck on her lips. Well, one thing’s for sure, she’s smooth.

“I’m so sorry, sweetheart, work has been hectic again today but I’m here now.”

Danielle Marsh, her fiancee.

Okay, Haerin really needs time to process that. 

“Hi, Danielle Marsh here for Ms Pham Hanni’s birthday party?”

“Yes, we all know who you are, Ms Marsh.”

The woman in front of them says with sparkly eyes. Haerin raises an eyebrow at that. Perhaps Danielle, her fiancee in this reality is someone influential. 

Which is clearly proven because very soon, cameras are flashing at them, reporters are swarming around them, and questions are thrown at them.

“Ms Marsh, is it true that Marsh Corp plans to acquire more fast fashion companies?”

“Ms Marsh, is this your fiancee?”

“Ms Marsh, how did you meet your fiancee?”

“Ms Marsh, have you seriously decided to settle down?”

Haerin squints her eyes, finding the constant flashes very, very blinding to look at. But particularly, one question catches her attention.

“Ms Kang Haerin, how do you feel being engaged to the heir of the largest fashion retailer, Marsh Corp?”

The microphone in front of her is left unattended because Haerin doesn’t know what to say.

What does she say anyways?

Thankfully, Danielle takes the microphone away not without a frown on her face.

“Leave my fiancee alone, you can ask me whatever you want instead.”

Danielle says sternly, pulling Haerin to stand behind her. Haerin is grateful, because the flashes are seriously starting to irritate her.

“Ms Marsh, is it true that you are going through a merger with Pham Corp?”

This time, Danielle smiles and nods as she takes the microphone into her hands.

“Yes, as you all know, Ms Pham and I have been working together for a long time now so it only makes sense to form a merger.”

The reporters all nod in approval, as the camera flashes come to a sudden halt. Haerin lets out a sigh of deep relief. But of course chaos ensues once she hears footsteps approaching them.

She looks towards the direction of the sound and finds none other than Hanni, correction, Ms Pham Hanni rushing towards them, engulfing Danielle in a hug.

“You made it! Can’t believe it, thought you were going to bail on me again. Well, is this the fiancee?”

Hanni breaks the hug and looks at her very intently, and Haerin feels sort of overwhelmed by the attention.

“Yes, sweetheart, this is Hanni but you know that already.”

Danielle gives her a knowing look and Haerin nods, offering her hand forward for a handshake. Hanni frowns instantly, choosing to engulf her in a hug instead.

“Girl, you are like my sister in law at this point, don’t be shaking my hand. We only hug, alright?”

Haerin nods obediently to which Danielle merely smiles at. When Hanni lets her go, Haerin realizes the camera flashes has increased even more, much to her dismay. Nevertheless, Danielle holds her waist tightly, moving her back again to avoid the flashes.

Haerin appreciates the gesture and thinks of how Danielle must be so used to this, because she is not even blinking. It’s amazing, really.

“And what about you, where is that girlfriend of yours, the one that you’ve been gushing about for months?”

“Please, it’s only been two weeks, stop making it like its a big deal.”

“Well, where is she? Is she even here?”

“Danielle Marsh, of course I invited a girl I met two weeks ago to my biggest birthday bash ever.”

Hanni says whilst rolling her eyes to which Danielle only seems to grin at. Haerin tries to keep up as much as she can because mind you, she only just entered this reality.

Okay, let’s go through it all very quickly.

In this reality, Danielle is her fiancee.

Danielle is also very influential and she is close with Hanni who is the same as well. 

Seems like she is on track.

For now.

Because in a matter of just five seconds, Haerin finds that she is about to go off track.

Why you ask?

Well, guess who is the girl Hanni met two weeks ago?

Yeah, you know it.

Wait for it.

Kim.

Kim Taeri?

Okay, no that’s too much, as iconic and pretty as she is, she is way too old for Hanni.

Also, there is only one Kim on Haerin’s mind.

And heart.

Yes, who else but Kim Minji.

Sighs.

Kim Minji who is now walking towards Hanni, looking as charming as always, dressed in a sleek white pair of matching vest and trousers.

Haerin can’t keep her eyes off of her and she knew it there and then that this track she’s on is about to go off course.

She sure is hopeless, she thinks.

Minji leaves a quick kiss on Hanni’s lips before turning to look at her, no them, because Danielle is with her, remember?

Right.

She then introduces herself. But she didn’t have to. Haerin already knows her name.

Kim Minji, Kang Haerin’s.

Wait, no, not in this reality.

“Hi, I’m Minji, Hanni’s girlfriend.”

Right, she almost forgot, in this reality, she isn’t Haerin’s.

And she isn’t Minji’s.

As they share a brief eye contact, Haerin notices the nonchalant way Minji nods at them and how very quickly she offers her hand forward to Danielle for a handshake.

“Nice to meet you, Danielle. I’ve heard a lot about you from Hanni.”

“I hope you heard only good things.”

“Yes of course, and you are…?”

Minji asks with her hand now reaching forward towards her.

“This is my fiancee, Haerin, its a bit ironic that she is a little shy but she is an artist with OMG Records.”

As she shakes Minji’s hand, she thinks how this must all be a joke. Haerin, a singer? What are the odds?

All these realities are getting wilder by the second.

“Oh, OMG? I’ve actually j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter