Idyllic

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now this is weird. Just very weird. 

Not only has she woken up next to a person who is not Kim Minji, she finds herself sitting in a huge hall for what it seems to be a graduation ceremony. She looks at her outfit and realizes this is a high school uniform she is wearing. Okay, so now she is in high school. 

Okay, but she does not know the two girls sitting on her left nor her right, not that she cared honestly, what’s really bothering her is that her beloved Kim Minji is nowhere in sight.

Sigh, perhaps, this is a reality in which for once, Kim Minji doesn’t exist.

Now that’s a sad reality to be in. Because then Haerin will probably just spend the rest of her life alone.

This has been clear to her since day one. It is either Kim Minji or no one.

With that being said, can she leave this reality?

But wait.

Perhaps she spoke too soon.

Haerin hears a commotion at the entrance and finds her surprise, surprise, dearly beloved object of affection, girl of her dreams, the reason of her existence aka Kim Minji walking in, surrounded by students, all continuously congratulating her for being the highest achiever in the school.

Of course, Kim Minji is the valedictorian of the year, she expects nothing less from the older girl. Haerin does have a good eye after all.

She shifts in her seat now, looking from afar at a sight of one Kim Minji walking up to the podium to presumably give a speech.

At this point as well, as she watch Minji adjusting the mic in preparation to speak, Haerin realizes that it really is astounding that every time she looks at the older girl, she finds herself incapable of doing anything but falling for her all over again.

Every single time.

It is like a habit, or maybe even a spell.

Perhaps Minji has placed a spell on her. Perhaps she is a sorcerer and Haerin is a victim. A willing victim that is.

Speaking of which, her beloved’s voice begins to fill the massive hall and Haerin loses her train of thoughts within an instance. Yes if you haven’t noticed already, she is whipped for Kim Minji, that’s for sure.

She listens intently and realizes roughly about one minute into the speech that Minji seems to be looking at her, very keenly as she begins to pause midway during her speech.

Okay, looks like Minji knows her in this reality too. Are they close in this reality? Oh, they better not be enemies because why is Minji frowning like that? That can’t be good. 

“Many of you like to attribute my success with it being a result from my hard work and yes, it is definitely one of the reasons I am able to be the valedictorian of the year.”

Minji pauses again, now putting away her script to pull the mic closer to her lips. Oh, those pouty lips that Haerin oh so likes. Wait, don’t get distracted now, focus on what she has got to say, Kang Haerin. Restrain yourself for goodness sake. 

“But I would like to thank one person who has stood by me throughout it all. She has been my pillar of support, my shoulder to cry on and someone I can turn to in times of distress.”

Oh, Haerin would die inside if Minji isn’t talking about her. It must be her right?

It has to be. 

Say it.

Kang Haerin.

“Pham Hanni, thank you for everything, I am forever indebted to you.”

Haerin feels her as if her soul had just left her body and her heart is being torn apart, sort of like how predators tear off dead roadkills into pieces.

Everything Minji says afterwards didn’t matter anymore. Behold, she is finally in a reality where she isn’t Minji’s favourite girl. 

Not only is this surreal, as she turns around, she realizes then from the loud claps from behind that Minji has been staring at Hanni from the very beginning. It wasn’t even her.

It was Hanni.

Shocked, disappointed and perhaps experiencing a little bit of heartbreak for the very first time, Haerin realizes that this is a reality she doesnt want to stay in any longer. She discreetly leaves the crowd, taking advantage of the fact that she is near the exit and makes a quick run for it.

No, no, no, this isn’t right, she thinks. The fact that Minji is in love with someone else isn’t right.

This can’t be. They are meant to be.

Minji has always belonged to her no matter the reality, so why is this reality different from the rest? What sets this reality apart from the others?

Why is this Minji with someone else?

She briefly recalls. Doctor Minji is hers, (she thinks) Prince-like Minji is also hers and so is High Schooler Minji but maybe Valedictorian Minji isn’t meant for her?

Why? Is it too much to want Minji for herself in each and every reality? Oh, wait that does sound selfish.

But why does it hurt so much then?

Why does knowing Minji can be happy with someone else makes her heart ache so much?

She despises this reality so much that she is walking so fast, trying to escape the thought of anything Kim Minji as she makes her way to the school gate. She stands there getting ready to cross the busy road as the traffic light beams a bright green sign.

It is here that Haerin contemplates on a lot of things, one being if not for the sole purpose of being Minji’s favourite, what is the point of this reality?

What is the reason of her exis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter