Impermanence

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kids. 

Two kids specifically. 

These two little beings are just staring right back at her, possibly questioning her existence in this reality and of course, she is doing the same.

She takes a quick look at her surroundings and realizes she is at a somewhat crowded beach. Something feels familiar about this beach almost as if she has been here before but she doesn’t dwell on that thought.

The beach seems so ordinary what with families just relaxing and kids playing all sorts of games. It feels almost as if it is just an ordinary day. 

The stares she is getting from the kids grow to be rather distracting so Haerin turns back to look at them. Both kids still have their stare on her and Haerin takes this time to carefully analyze their faces. Though the two kids look similar, almost like siblings, it is then that she realizes that the shorter one of the two share similar features with a particular someone. 

Those big round eyes.

High nose bridge.

Thick eyebrows.

And even that same stance.

Wait, is this where she finally arrives in a reality where time has somehow been twisted? This can’t be, it must be a coincidence. They only met much later.

Then perhaps, is there a slightest chance that this little girl in front of her happens to be that certain someone she is thinking of?

She hopes not because that would be insane.

“Oppa, she is spacing out like a cat.”

“Minji, don’t say that out loud. It’s rude.”

Oh dear, it is Kim Minji indeed.

That voice, and that frown, that unmistakable frown, Haerin can recognize that frown from a mile away. This little girl is indeed Kim Minji.

“I’m sorry, eonni but you do look like a cat. I don’t mean it in a bad way. I like cats.”

Haerin finds little Minji so darn adorable that she bends down to take a closer look at the little girl. 

Even as a child, Minji still looks pretty much the same, perhaps the only biggest difference would be her shorter limbs and small stature. It’s funny seeing Minji like this when all her life, Haerin has always been shorter one. It almost feels surreal.

“Eonni, do you know how to make sandcastles?”

Haerin looks around and notices that Minji’s older brother has already begin to play with his friends, leaving her all alone.

Well, perhaps just keeping little Minji company for a while wouldn’t alter the timeline in this reality? 

She’ll make it quick, she thinks. 

As if.

“Yes, do you want to make one?”

Little Minji nods once before her little fingers grasp onto Haerin’s thumb, pulling her to the pile of sand nearby. Haerin merely follows the little girl without any hesitation.

Somehow or rather it feels as though their roles have reversed and Haerin finds it all nostalgic. Because just looking at those once big fingers now become tiny ones just holding onto hers so very tightly, she is reminded of her beloved’s big hands grasping onto hers not too long ago.

How cute she thinks.

But enough of reminiscing, Kang Haerin. Let’s focus on little Minji now. 

Once there, little Minji immediately hands her a scoop and urges her to start scooping. Geez, even as a kid, Minji has gotten her wrapped around her little finger. Emphasis on the little finger because little Minji is really tiny. It is almost hard to believe how tall she grows up to be.

“Eonni, are you sure you know how to make sandcastles?”

Haerin rolls her eyes as little Minji frowns at her slow pace.

“Yes, of course I do. I’ve done this before.”

With you. Not little you. Big you.

“What’s your name, eonni?”

“You ask me this after you pull me all the way here to make sandcastles with you?”

Haerin teases with a small smirk, making little Minji frown in response.

“Eonni doesn’t look like a bad person.”

Little Minji says with her lips pouting. Haerin finds the little girl so very amusing as she lets out a chuckle.

“I also really like cats and eonni looks so much like one.”

The little girl says with a frown on her face as she attempts to make the first tower for her sandcastle. Haerin lends a helping hand as the little girl carefully lifts the scoop.

“And you look like a little puppy.”

Little Minji has one of her eyebrows raised and Haerin just bursts out laughing at this point.

“I prefer bears but its okay, I like puppies too.”

Haerin smiles, as the little girl makes her second tower. 

“You still haven’t told me your name yet, eonni.”

Haerin shakes her head at the little girl, even as a kid, Minji is still as bossy as ever.

But she can’t tell her real name right?

Right.

“It’s Rin. And you, what is your name?”

Okay, at least it isn’t her full name. That should be fine, she thinks.

“Kim Minji from Class 1A.”

“Nice to meet you, Kim Minji from Class 1A.”

Haerin says with a laugh, now understanding the pace little Minji is going for and offering as much support as she can as she continues to build towers after towers.

“Eonni, do you know why I like building sandcastles?”

This catches her off guard and triggers a certain memory from within. She suddenly vividly remembers this exact conversation with not so little Minji from a distant memory.

“Haerin, do you know why I like building sandcastles?”

She recalls shaking her head then, to which Minji only lets out a smile in response. Her beloved pulls her close then, making her lie down on the taller girl’s body comfortably.

Minji wraps her arms around her and as the sea breeze begins to blow swiftly, birds chirping in a distance, and the sun slowly setting amongst the multitude shades of pastel blue sky, Haerin basks in it all, trying to encapsulate this moment to her memory.

“Because it feels like what I’ve been doing my whole life.”

A tear drops onto her shoulder and Haerin remembers turning around to see a teary eyed Kim Minji staring at her. She immediately engulfs the taller girl in a tight hug, feeling even more tears falling onto her shoulders.

Minji is crying and she almost never cries. Haerin feels her heart ache at the sight of her beloved in tears.

“Eventually it will all go to waste when it slips into the sea. It’s like I know the ending yet I refuse to-“

“I know how hard you try, it will be all worthwhile, baby.”

Minji chokes in her tears and Haerin almost immediately assures her with her hands softly caressing her beloved. She knows now that in almost every reality, there seems to be a recurring pattern. Haerin has come to a realization that she exist in every reality not just to be Minji’s one and only.

It seems her very existence is to also offer comfort and love in ways that only she knows how. 

Because she was made for Minji just as much as Minji was made for her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter