Impeachment

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now, this is something you don’t see everyday.

A courtroom filled with people. Stacks of papers on the table and Kang Haerin being dressed in the most formal black and white getup ever known to mankind. Wait, rewind that, black and white, papers, courtroom. Why she is even in a courtroom? Oh no, did she commit a crime? Or perhaps is she a victim?

She takes a quick look at where she is sitting and realizes that this is even worse than being a criminal or a victim. Oh yes, we have finally arrived in a reality in which Haerin is playing the role of the devil’s advocate. The words “Attorney Kang Haerin” imprinted on the nameplate resting on the table can not be any more obvious to her as it already is.

To think that Haerin really thought of lawyers as nothing more than insufferable people who make a living out of the weak and yet here she is, in a courtroom, finding herself to be one in this reality.

Haerin looks to the front and takes note of the two opposing attorneys in front of her. They are rather unfamiliar to her, faces whom she has never seen before and unsurprisingly, they weren’t even paying her any attention as one of them proceeds to move to the witness booth to begin the cross examination.

Okay, wait, hang on, how does she even know the term cross examination? Ah, right, she is a lawyer in this reality, remember?

Right.

“Mr. Moon, do you agree that your habitual tendency of having prolonged eye contact is rather uncomfortable for your staff?”

Almost immediately, a loud voice resounds in the courtroom and it is then that Haerin realizes that she isn’t alone. She looks to her left and finds one very familiar face, looking so darn dashing in her similarly black and white outfit. Said familiar face is now making a stern objection.

“Your Honor, objection, that statement is irrelevant to the case at hand.”

“Objection sustained.”

Haerin’s fixated eyes follows that familiar face as those thick eyebrows of hers relaxes and those eyes, those beautiful round eyes turns to look at her briefly with a slight nod. Haerin nods quickly in response and notices that the same opposing attorney has now continued with more questions but it’s fair to say that her interest has long gone out the window.

And really, can you blame her?

Her only focus is on that familiar face next to her who is currently listening intently to every single word the opposing attorney is saying, and it’s almost as if time stood still for her. It’s as if the only person that exists in the universe with her right now, at this very moment is the familiar face next to her, and Haerin tries to take it all in, those facial features she has seen countless times now, tracing them from those ever frowning eyebrows, to that high nose bridge and to those luscious lips.

Let’s be real here, she really should be used to them by now, like she really should but even if she has those features imprinted into her mind, seeing them up close, in every single reality just leaves her breathless each time.

This reality is no exception either, coupled with a very, very well dressed variant of her beloved, ah Haerin is done for.

She is really is in too deep.

There’s no mistaking it, her beloved must has put a spell on her. No sane human would be this head over heels for someone. With that being said, Haerin briefly wonders about the nature of their relationship in this reality.

Are they just co-workers? Or are they closer than that?

She wonders curiously as her eyes becomes dazed with the intoxicating sight before her. Another thought crosses her mind just then, because just how many more realities will it take before she finds the answer to the most beguiling mystery in the world. Just why is-

“Attorney Kang.”

Haerin turns to look at the direction of the voice, belonging to none other than the judge in the courtroom who is now staring at her in shock despite those tired eyes of his. Haerin doesn’t understand why but when her beloved turns to look at her as well, the frown on her face now turning into a rather concerned one, and followed by the feeling of something wet dripping onto the back of her palms, she looks down and finally comprehends the gravity of it all.

A nosebleed.

Did she just get a nosebleed from staring at her beloved? In public too?

How embarrassing.

Of course, this doesn’t go unnoticed by everyone else present in the courtroom. She hears the loud gasps as her beloved has already begin wiping the blood off her nose before proceeding to ask the judge for a short break.

The judge agrees without any hesitation, but instead of granting them a short break as requested, he decides to announce an adjournment of the case, much to the relief of her beloved but to the extreme dismay of the opposing lawyers. Haerin remains as dazed as ever as her beloved quickly packed their files and instinctively leads her out of the courtroom, their hands intertwined closely.

The mere sight and warm feeling of their hands being so closely connected makes her lips form a rather silly smile as she remains as dazed as ever.

It’s as if she is under a spell and for reasons only known to her, Haerin doesn’t ever want it to end.

She lets her beloved lead her out of the building as they move into the parking area and into her car. It feels sort of nice to be taken care of, to not think of what do, to just let her beloved lead her like this. This feels nice, she thinks. Her beloved has said nothing throughout it all and somehow Haerin appreciates the silence. Well, what does she even say when she literally has no idea what is going on in this reality? Maybe she can start by asking-

She hears a soft sniff from the driver’s seat and is puzzled to see the tears welling up in her beloved’s eyes. Her beloved glances at her briefly, with a look that tells Haerin that they are definitely not just your regular co-workers before taking her hand in hers, placing a long kiss onto the back of her blood stained palm. Something about this gesture feels rather romantic and perhaps a tad bit sensual, she thinks. Its interesting really, she likes how every variant of Minji in every reality is consistently charming, well except maybe for that one Minji.

“Stop breaking my heart, baby.”

Haerin wants to ask why but words don’t seem to be able to make their way out of , so she settles for a kiss on her beloved’s cheek, hoping this gesture would somehow constitute as an answer.

“I’m not going to give in to that again, do you remember the last time you fainted in the office? If I wasn’t there-”

“Minji.”

She finds herself saying as she puts a finger to her beloved’s lips, effectively catching her attention. Those round eyes widens and her beloved tries to say something but Haerin is relentless.

“Kim Minji.”

She says again, now feeling her beloved’s thumb grazing over her much smaller hand lightly. It is here that she finally takes notice of the rings adorning their fingers, alike in design only different in size.

Okay, maybe not so similar since hers has a rather large shining piece of diamond sitting in the middle of the ring. As her beloved places another kiss onto her palm once more, Haerin takes in the rare sight of one Kim Minji looking so vulnerable, her eyebrows frowning as she waits for Haerin to speak.

Okay, Haerin will cave in now.

“Tell me, what did I ever do to deserve you?”

Somehow, this is a question that has certainly caught her beloved off guard, judging by her reaction. It’s almost cute, how her eyebrows sort of softens and her pouty lips purse to speak.

“You don’t have to do anything to deserve me. I am yours, and you are mine, remember?”

Minji reminds with that signature quick frown as she places their intertwined hands on her lap now. Something about having her hand in her beloved’s hand in this reality feels a little bit more heart fluttering than usual. She isn’t sure why though.

Is it the perfume she is wearing? Because dear lord, that perfume is the death of her. Or maybe its the suit she is wearing? Black does suit her beloved pretty well. Ah, perhaps it is the whole lawyer persona she has?

Perhaps Haerin does have a thing for lawyers. Scratch that, Haerin has a thing for Lawyer Minji.

Haerin smiles to herself and concludes that it’s actually a little bit of everything. It’s hard to deny though that Lawyer Minji is truly a sight to behold. She may sound biased but this has to be her most favourite variant of her beloved thus far.

Because then, that would perfectly explain her current state of being.

Dazed.

The car comes to a complete stop in front of a ridiculously lavish house and her beloved has quickly popped over to her side to open the car door for her. So, so unnecessary but Haerin isn’t going to complain. Chivalry is something she is clearly a er for, especially when it is from one Kim Minji.

For heaven’s sake, she’s only had a nosebleed, her beloved is clearly overreacting. As she steps out, she feels the cold wind hit her and involuntarily lets out a small shudder. This however, does not go unnoticed by the lawyer in front of her.

Her beloved takes off her blazer swiftly and puts it over her with a small frown, before taking her hand again and it is at this moment that Haerin internally wishes that she was actually the Haerin of this reality.

Because now dressed in a sleek white collared shirt paired with a black vest and slim long pants, is none other than the love of her life, her beloved, looking so drop-dead gorgeous. Haerin wants to roll her eyes at this.

Kim Minji, you’re too much.

“Hmm?”

Minji looks at her questioningly as she lets herself take in the sight of the massive house. This must cost a fortune, how does anyone afford a place like this, she wonders.

“You are the managing partner of the biggest law firm in Seoul, my ever so humble wife.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter