Interim

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At this point, Haerin shouldn’t be surprised anymore.

But imagine this.

Like really imagine this.

Okay, where to start?

Number one, big stage.

Two, massive crowd.

Three, insanely loud cheers.

Yes, Kang Haerin has just found herself in a reality where she is suddenly given a microphone out of nowhere, being asked to go up on stage with two other girls.

Now, hasn’t she entered a reality where she is a singer already?

Oh, wait, this is a group. An idol group, it seems, so technically, it isn’t exactly the same.

Just what is up with these realities? Perhaps, this is a sign that Haerin should try to pursue a singing career.

Okay, this shouldn’t be that hard, Kang Haerin, just don’t sing like a dying cat. 

As the song begins, Haerin notices how the other girls start singing and almost as if she knows that it is her turn, she begins singing as though she has done this her whole life. Honestly, Haerin is so dumbfounded by this newfound skill of hers that she actually takes a moment to digest this whole occurrence.

For goodness’ sake, she actually sounds good, like she isn’t even singing off-key. Amazing. To think that she can actually sing like this? How remarkable. Maybe she should really consider being a singer for real.

As she looks at the big, actually no, massive crowd, she spots many banners with her name written on them. Haerin feels slightly overwhelmed at the amount of banners, because it makes her wonder, just how popular is this Haerin anyways?

Well, judging by the number of countless of banners, she must be pretty well known, because as soon as she finishes singing her part, she immediately hears a loud fan chant during the instrumental part of the song with her name being called out the loudest among the rest.

Wait, those other names sound so very familiar.

It is during this time that Haerin takes a moment to look at the other girls properly, realizing that this whole time, the two other girls are none other than the two familiar faces that she has met before. In many other different realities.

Haerin blinks her eyes in surprise. This has to be a joke.

Because right there, before her very eyes, is one Pham Hanni and one Lee Hyein.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous now. If she is going to be in a idol group, why is it that only Hanni and Hyein are in this group with her? It would be really, really mind blowing if Danielle and Minji was in the same idol group too. 

Yeah, perhaps in another reality, because in this reality, at the very least, things are different.

Almost as soon as the song finishes, the two girls immediately walks off the stage and Haerin merely follows suit, figuring it is best she follows the two girls anyways. Once backstage, the two are already on their phones, as a large number of makeup artists proceeds to fix their makeup. Haerin finds herself being ushered to sit down in a hurry as two makeup artists started fixing her makeup as well.

Haerin takes this time to settle in this reality, she closes her eyes and takes one deep breath.

Breathe, Haerin.

But of course, just when she thinks things cannot get any more chaotic, a delivery guy comes in the room carrying a huge bouquet of flower and a gigantic box. He seems to struggle with it as he places it on the dressing table in front of her, completely blocking the mirror. One of the makeup artists seems to be rather annoyed at this so the guy apologizes and quickly takes a small table nearby to place both the bouquet and box on it instead. 

“Sorry, the instructions were very clear, I cannot put these on the floor.”

“Is it from the same sender?”

Another one of the makeup artists casually asks. The delivery guys nods firmly before turning to Haerin to get her signature to prove that she has indeed received the item.
 
“Yes, as always.”

“I envy you so much, Haerin. It must be nice to receive gifts almost every week.”

As the delivery guy leaves, Haerin widens her eyes in surprise once more. To think that she receives gifts like these every week, wow, she should have been a singer way earlier.

It seems what the makeup artist says also catches the attention of Hanni and Hyein who are both now no longer looking at their phones.

“This fan of yours must be some old rich man, nobody is that rich enough to give you gifts every week, you know.”

Hanni comments with an eyebrow raised. Hyein lets out a snicker in response. 

“We envy you though, eonni. We really do.”

Hyein says out loud, now turning to look at Hanni with her lips forming a rather cynical smile. Wow, so it seems in almost every reality, Hanni and Hyein always seem to be the ones whom she isn’t on good terms with. Guess this is something she can add to her list of consistent-things-that-happen-in-every-reality.

“You should open it, everyone’s curious now.”

Hanni encourages as she looks at the gift with curious eyes. Haerin feels complied to do so, what with almost ten pair of eyes staring at her in anticipation. Okay, here goes.

It better not be something weird.

She unwraps the box and opens it to find a very expensive designer brand name written boldly on another smaller box. Loud gasps are heard in the room as Haerin opens the smaller box, to reveal a very exquisite looking bag which she assumes must be pretty expensive because it seems that everyone in the room is still recovering from sheer shock.

“Wow, that is a limited edition bag, it hasn’t even been released yet!”

“Your fan must be some rich heir or something, Haerin.”

“How much do you think this costs?”

“Looks like at least fifty thousand dollars to me.”

“I want to be an idol too.”

“Come on, it’s not like every idol has a rich fan like this. Some idols are barely making any money.”

The makeup artists says with a quick glance at the other two girls. Haerin does the same. She sees Hanni and Hyein both roll their eyes in unison and Haerin feels somewhat caught in the middle. Even if she didn’t mean to, it seems she has caused discomfort to the two girls.

As the makeup artists continue to gossip about the gift, she quickly closes the box and places it aside, wanting the now ongoing conversations around her to cease with immediate effect.

However, she takes note of a small card attached with the bouquet of flowers and Haerin cannot help but wonder about its contents. She reaches forward and takes the card, and its so very cliche how the makeup artists around her tries to pry. Haerin however, makes sure she opens just a little, you know, just enough for her eyes only.

“If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk through my garden forever. Here's some from this garden of mine. From your biggest fan.”

Now Haerin is only human so it’s only natural that she finds these words rather swoon worthy. This fan of hers certainly have a way with words. Haerin unknowingly lets a smile form on her face.

“What did your fan say?”

“You know what, this must be a pre-birthday gift. Your birthday’s coming soon, right? I just cannot imagine what the birthday gift is going to be.”

“Probably another designer item again? Haerin, do you even have space left on your shelf for your gifts? If you don’t, you can give it to me, okay?”

The makeup artists all started chattering once more and Haerin sort of wishes they’ll stop because as she takes a quick glance at the other two girls again, she can sense the tension in the air. She takes a deep breath and tries to ignore the chatters, taking comfort in the fact that soon enough, a lady comes in the room, informing them that it is time for their next song.

Haerin heaves an euphoric sigh of relief. 

As they make their way to the stage once more, standing there with their microphones in their hands, she suddenly feels a hand on her shoulder. Haerin turns around instinctively and to her surprise, she finds one familiar pair of eyes looking at her very fondly. 

“Tired?”

Haerin shakes her head in response. As if on cue, she can hear the small scoff coming from Hanni as the girl nudges Hyein to look at her. What’s with that scoff anyways?

“Do you like it?”

The girl beside her asks very softly, but of course Haerin hasn’t got a clue as to what she is saying. Nevertheless, she takes note of how the petite girl is dressed in expensive clothing, and Haerin thinks she must be some rich heiress. True enough, she realizes how very spot on her assumption is when she hears whispers from behind her.

“Isn’t that the CEO’s daughter? What is she doing here?”

“Don’t you know, she is going to inherit the company soon?”

Amidst all of the whispers, Haerin quickly realizes that literally anything is possible now. She shouldn’t be too surprised anymore.

“Sorry, I should have been clearer, do you like the gifts?”

Haerin blinks her eyes. Ah, so it makes sense now. Let’s add another constant variable to her list of consistent-things-that-happen-in-every-reality.

That is, Danielle Marsh is certainly a constant love interest for her.

Speaking of which, where is-

“Nevermind, let’s talk later, I’ll pick you up for dinner after your performance.”

Danielle says in a haste as her hand now slides down to Haerin’s waist in a very indiscreetly manner. Okay, that was intimate, what are they in this reality anyways? But, wait, let’s not think about that now.

Focus on singing first, Kang Haerin.

As they go up on the stage once more, she sees the heiress quickly being surrounded by the makeup artists, all gawking at the mere presence of the petite girl.

It’s ironic really, because just like in that other reality, Danielle always seems to be coveted by many. Haerin doesn’t blame the many because just look at that face. It would be a crime if she isn’t anyone’s favourite.

And true to her words, once the performance was over, Haerin finds herself sitting across the heiress in a very fancy restaurant with tiny food being served to them with almost no one else around. The place looks amazing and the food is delicious as well so how can such a place be empty?

Unless.

Oh my, is this some Korean drama? Did Danielle just booked the entire-

“I know you like it quiet. I’ve booked the entire restaurant for tonight. Don’t worry, it’s just us.”

Oh dear, she did.

Okay, but that aside, Haerin can’t help but feel so very intrigued at how Danielle is able to read her mind so very easily. Ah, this must be why she is always a love interest in every reality.

Haerin nods in understanding, and the heiress merely smiles in return. That warm smile is the same in every reality as well.

“So, can I have the answer now?”

Oh yes, she’s been waiting for a long time now. Haerin should at least answer her. 

“Yes, I do.”

Haerin assumes it’s the gifts from earlier today and is suddenly reminded of the words on the card. 

“I especially liked the quote you used.”

“Quote? What quote?”

Danielle asks, her eyes showing curiosity as she crosses her arms. Wait, did she not write it? Or maybe she simply forgot? Haerin takes a sip of water as she tries to think of what to say next. Does she continue or change the topic?

“I meant the quote written on the card.”

“Ah, the card, yes.”

Haerin lets out a sigh of relief as Danielle uncrosses her arms, now looking at her fondly again. Okay, so it was her. She must have simply forgot. She is an heiress after all, she must be so busy with-

“Isn’t it romantic? It’s from my favourite book.”

“Oh, it is?”

Danielle nods with a smile and offers her right hand to Haerin, and of course, Haerin accepts because that smile is just so warm and comforting. Almost like magic, Danielle’s left hand then reaches forward to reveal a beautiful bracelet that is now being placed around Haerin’s tiny wrist.

Okay, can we all just agree how Danielle Marsh is such a natural at this? Haerin swoons internally.

"I would rather be with you, even the you that you seem to think is diminished, than with anyone else in the world."

The heiress says as she gently caresses Haerin’s hand with her right hand. 

Wait.

Hang on.

That doesn’t seem right.

Of course, it isn’t right, Kang Haerin.

That’s not the quote written on the card.

That’s an entirely, completely, and absolutely different quote.

Isn’t that from the novel, Me Before You?

Haerin takes a moment to process the discrepancy she is currently facing and unknowingly furrows her eyebrows in response.

“Ah, you don’t think it’s romantic?”

Oh, of course it’s romantic. Haerin is quick

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter