Infinity ∞

The Halcyon Stiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"May I please have this dance?”

Haerin turns around quickly, finding a very well dressed Prince Charming standing in front of her, his hair a little disheveled, and his face concealed by a very intricate looking mask. 

It was their yearly school dance and despite the fact that she initially did not want to attend, Hyein, her ever sociable and extroverted friend managed to convince her to come.

Haerin came in a modest princess like outfit and a matching mask, with little expectations but perhaps Prince Charming over here might change her mind. 

However she can’t help but notice that Prince Charming’s very petite in frame and his voice didn’t sound that masculine either. Perhaps it is a girl?

“May I?”

She says as she offers her hand forward. Haerin nods, now curious as to whom this girl is. Prince Charming, wait no, Princess Charming?

Let’s call her Princess Charming.

As soon as Haerin takes her hand, she finds herself being guided into a dance. One thing’s for sure, Princess Charming’s a complete natural at this. Almost as smooth as butter, if she may add.

Okay, that was cheesy.

Nevermind, let’s focus on the dance now, Kang Haerin.

So they dance and Princess Charming spins her around once every few times. Eventually they come to the end of the song and this is when Princess Charming discreetly lifts up her mask, perhaps in an effort to give Haerin a glimpse of her face. 

And my oh my is she gorgeous. Princess Charming looks foreign, has beautiful eyes and one dazzling of a smile.

Yet, even as she stares at this almost ethereal looking being in front of her, Haerin doesn’t feel her heart flutter.

Her heart is steady.

No unnecessary rapid heartbeat.

Which is ridiculous if you think about it, because Haerin is sure any other girl would have cave in into Princess Charming before her. 

“My name’s Danielle Marsh. What’s yours?”

Princess Charming says this with her hands now holding onto Haerin’s very gently. Haerin feels the warmth of her hands on the outside but on the inside, she feels nothing out of the ordinary. It does feel comfortable though.

Nevertheless, she realizes that Princess Charming’s name does sounds familiar, wait, ah, isn’t she the most famous foreign student in school? 

The one famous for leading the school’s debate team to victory during the national debate championship last year?

Right, as she looks at Princess Charming’s light brown hair, she confirms thar it is indeed the famous Danielle Marsh.

“Kang Haerin. Thank you for the dance.”

She answers, lifting up a little bit of her mask as well, because she thinks it is polite to do so and that maybe Danielle will like it. And she is right because Danielle Marsh then lets out the biggest smile ever. 

How beautiful, she thinks.

“You’re really pretty. If it’s okay with you, I would like to get to know you better.”

With such a beautiful smile, Haerin doesn’t see any reason to reject the offer. Perhaps she needed more time with Danielle. Perhaps it is irrational to expect heart fluttering feelings the moment you meet someone you find attractive. 

Because life isn’t some romance comedy. People don’t fall in love at first sight.

Haerin thinks its because she has such unrealistic expectations on love that she has yet to experience it. 

Like they always say, the more you want it, the less you get. 

She seriously needs to stop watching those fairytale like romance comedies and let love happen naturally.

Okay, let’s start now.

“Sure, I would love that.”

Danielle of course smiles at this and reluctantly lets go of her hands, gesturing her to look to her right.

“This is the part where we change partners, see you around.”

Before Haerin can process what Danielle has just said, she sees another person, this time dressed in a vampire outfit standing in front of her.

Seeing his wide physique, she can tell its a guy for sure and true enough, as he asks her for a dance, his masculine yet somewhat pretty high pitched voice confirms it.

“May I have this dance, Princess?”

Haerin thinks it will be a little bit rude to say no because he even called her Princess, so she accepts it but maintains her distance. Mr Vampire didn’t seem to mind too, possibly because he seems to be quite nervous as well. She knows this because he also seems to be avoiding any chance of eye contact with her.

And so, he spins her around and around and for some reason this dance feels like forever. Haerin tries to think of a way to escape but as the song finally comes to an end, she finds herself being e last time before Mr Vampire awkwardly takes a step back.

“I’m sorry, I’m actually not that good of a dancer.”

“It’s okay, I’m not that good either.”

Mr Vampire merely smiles awkwardly before offering his hand forward for a handshake.

“Thank you for dancing with me. I really appreciate it.”

Okay now Haerin feels bad. Really really bad. She feels like a bad person. 

Poor guy over here is just being really nice to her and here she is thinking of a way to escape from him throughout the whole dance.

“Please, it was my pleasure.”

She shakes his hand and sees a small smile forming on his face.

“Honestly, you’re really pretty but I guess its too bad I’m just not into women.”

Wait what? Mr Vampire is gay? Okay, now that explains the whole awkward atmosphere between them. Upon hearing this, Haerin lets out a loud chuckle.

“The feeling is mutual, I’m not into men either.”

Mr Vampire seems surprised at this revelation and pulls her into a hug, this time both of them no longer feeling any awkwardness.

“Well, I tried my best, told myself I’ll dance with a straight girl at the school dance and of course I ended up with one that isn’t straight. It’s a sign!”

Mr Vampire says out loud as they both break into a fit of laughters. Haerin lightly pats him on the shoulders as they keep laughing. It is then that Haerin realize that the next song has already started and that someone is standing behind her, presumably her next dance partner.

Of course by now Haerin has already grown tired of dancing and perhaps spending some time with Mr Vampire would be fruitful rather than going through an awkward dance with another stranger. 

But as if Mr Vampire can sense her hesitation, he leans in close and whispers into her ear with a wide smirk on his face.

“I think you should really do this next dance, babe. Trust me, you’ll regret it if you don’t.”

Of course, curious as ever, Haerin turns around to confirm what Mr Vampire has said.

My oh my, what she finds before her is mystifying.

Lo and behold, there stood a tall being, dressed in a rather dashing black suit, his mask covering only the top part of his face, seemingly designed in such a way to show off his high nose bridge. And as if God took his time with this being, even his lips are kissable.

Haerin contemplates for a moment if she is truly only into women. Perhaps this is her straight awakening. 

Because if she is ever going to fall for a man, this being would be the kind of aesthetic that she likes.

Tall.

Slender limbs.

Pouty lips.

And of course that high nose bridge.

And as if that isn’t enough already, he is also holding a single red rose in his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter