Chapter 3

The Aftermath

Jay opened his eyes, finding himself in his bed as he looked up at the familiar ceiling. He could barely remember the night before, and half wondered if Dongmyeong had drugged his drink so he could get some sleep.

A knock on the door caused Jay to sit up and look at the door, watching as Dongmyeong opened the door.

"Breakfast is in the kitchen if you want anything," Dongmyeong stated with a shrug before he turned and left, closing the door behind him.

Jay let out a huff, getting up and going to get ready for the day before wondering into the kitchen to get breakfast.

Dongmyeong was sitting at the kitchen island sipping on some coffee while checking something on his tablet. "Your plate is here," hummed Dongmyeong as he pushed over a plate for Jay.

Jay sat in front of Dongmyeong and started eating, being silent as he ate.

"What's the plan today?" Asked Dongmyeong as he put his tablet on the table and focused on Jay.

"I have some work to make up for one of my classes today," responded Jay as he let out a sigh. "Sunghoon asked to talk to me yesterday as you know, so I have to work on the stuff I missed for that class," he explained.

"You're going to the library?" Asked Dongmyeong.

"I think it'd be better if I did," responded Jay as he nodded. "Someone from class said they'd help me catch up so," he explained.

"You're finally making a new friend huh?" Teased Dongmyeong as he smirked at Jay who started sputtering, covering his mouth as he coughed.

"I am, I guess," mumbled Jay as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "I've known this guy for the whole semester so far, we've always sat next to each other," he added.

"What's his name?" asked Dongmyeong.

"His name's Keonhee," replied Jay as he shrugged. "He seems to understand my situation, but I've never mentioned it to him before," he hummed.

"Hm," hummed Dongmyeong as he looked thoughtful. "Did he say what kind of soulmate mark he had?" He asked.

"He said he had a timer," responded Jay. "That can only mean one of two things, his soulmate rejected him or his soulmate died," he mused, looking thoughtful.

"He may think you have a timer, since you're always covering up your wrist," explained Dongmyeong as he thought about it. "None of your professors know of what happened to you though, so this Keonhee person shouldn't know about your soulmate mark," he added as an afterthought.

"I'll be careful," reassured Jay as he finished eating. "I'll be back after I'm done okay?" He asked.

"Ask Keonhee to come along," encouraged Dongmyeong. "I'd like to meet him," he added.

"Don't overanalyze things yeah?" Asked Jay. "I don't want you scaring away someone again," he sighed.

"Me? Scare someone? Nah," Dongmyeong reassured with a chuckle. "I'm not that scary now," he whined.

"Says the one person who could easily flip someone over his shoulder and onto their back," scoffed Jay as he finished eating and went to throw his plate into the sink. "I'll see if he wants to, okay?" He asked, turning to Dongmyeong.

"Sure, be careful," hummed Dongmyeong as he nodded, drinking the rest of his coffee.

Jay nodded and went to get his things for the class before leaving the house and heading towards campus.

 

~



Jay entered the library, looking around for Keonhee as he waved to the librarian sitting at the desk. He soon spotted Keonhee sitting nearby with books spread out around the table he was sitting at. Jay immediately went to sit down in front of Keonhee, taking his backpack off and putting it in the chair next to him before grabbing everything he needed and putting it on the table in front of him.

"So what did I miss?" Asked Jay as Keonhee looked up at him after a few minutes.

"Ah, just the usual stuff, we have to analyze the person we chose as a subject of our final paper," responded Keonhee as he shrugged. "The professor wants us to go over what we know of the person we chose and sort of come to our own conclusions of who that person is and what their life was like before their death," he explained.

"Ah," hummed Jay as he looked thoughtful. "Who did you choose as your subject?" He asked.

"Well," sighed Keonhee as he looked at the papers and books on the table. "I chose to go with my soulmate," he explained after a minute, a sad look appearing in his eyes before he shook his head. "I never got to meet them, so," he added with a small huff. "I figured I'd try to use what knowledge I know of them and come to my own conclusions you know? I would've loved to have known them when they were alive, but alas I'm only stuck with whatever information I have of them," he explained. "Who did you choose?" He asked, looking curiously at the papers that were on Jay's side of the table.

"I-" started Jay as he paused to look at his papers. "I did my soulmate too," he mumbled in explanation, looking away. "He- I never got to meet him either," he explained. "But I got permission from his family to do this so," he added, shrugging.

"Ah..." Mumbled Keonhee as he looked sympathetic, reaching over and patting Jay on the shoulder. "It's gonna be okay, alright?" He asked, moving his hand back when Jay turned to look at him. "I've had my timer at a standstill for years now," he sighed. "It hurts still, but I promise you, it'll be better," he explained. "You don't have a timer, right?" He asked, earning a nod from Jay. "At least you don't have that sort of reminder?" He asked.

"I guess so," mumbled Jay as he let out a sigh. "Let's just focus on this, yeah?" He asked, changing the subject and looking down at his papers again.

Keonhee nodded and started to work while Jay did the same.

 

~



"Thanks for helping out," commented Jay as he stood with Keonhee outside the library one they were done with their work for the day. "Not many would go out of their way to help out," he added, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

Keonhee smiled softly, nodding in understanding. "Yeah, I understand that," he said with a shake of his head. "There's no shame in asking for help you know?" He asked. "And, I'm here, if you need someone to talk to okay?" He asked, nodding in reassurance.

"Thanks, Keonhee," Jay mumbled sincerely as he smiled slightly, earning a grin in return from Keonhee.

"I'll see you around then," Keonhee said in goodbye before walking off.

Jay was left to stand there for a second, watching Keonhee before he remembered something. "Oh!" He exclaimed suddenly as called to Keonhee. "My um, roommates wanted me to invite you over!" He called. "Are you up for meeting them?" He asked as Keonhee turned back to him.

"Maybe another day, yeah?" Asked Keonhee. "I'll see you around Jay!" He called before turning and continuing to walk away.

Jay nodded, turning and walking the other direction, heading to his car. He put his bag into the passenger seat as he opened the door and got in before sitting there for a few minutes, feeling the burning in his wrist again. "What is wrong with me?" He asked himself as he put his seatbelt on before starting the car. Once he knew it was clear he backed out of his parking spot and drove home.