Chapter 2

The Aftermath

Jay left his therapist's office, letting out a breath as he stood in front of his car. It hadn't been that long since the last session but it still hurt. Part of him still wondered about the what ifs and what he could've done to meet his soulmate sooner.

Jay shook his head before walking over and getting in his car, closing the door and taking his phone out of his pocket. He put it on the phone mount attached to his side vent and pushed the button to start his car. After making sure it was clear Jay backed out of his parking spot before driving off, heading back towards campus to head to the first of three classes for the day.

 

~



"Classes are so annoying aren't they?" Asked Dongju as he sat down beside Jay at the cafeteria. "I already regret transferring here," he whined, digging into his food with gusto after he got settled.

"Why did you transfer here again?" Asked Jay. "Don't tell me your brother asked you to," he sighed.

"No, he didn't," dismissed Dongju. "I was wanting to be closer to him anyway, and this school had what I was looking for anyway," he explained.

"It's weird how you're the one going through the stages of reincarnation, but then your brother is stuck without a soulmate," commented Jay as he tilted his head to the side.

"Well, I don't mind it too much," hummed Dongju. "But this is my, what? Third life?" He asked. "From what I've been explained anyway," he added. "My soulmate has stayed away for this long, I think I'll be fine," he hummed. "It's only for a semester anyway, then I'm going to Korea to finish studying," he explained.

"Really?" Asked Jay. "Didn't think you'd have it in you to go to Korea to finish studying," he remarked as he ate his food.

"Mm, it's only for one more year, I'm coming back to do an internship at Google afterwards," explained Dongju. "I know, I was surprised too when I got accepted," he added when Jay looked surprised at the information.

"Damn, you got friends in high places or something?" Asked Jay. "I would like to see if someone would be able to get me somewhere," he mused, looking at his phone when it pinged. He tapped it, seeing an email from one of his professors. He quickly typed up a reply before sending the email, getting up once he was done and going to throw his food away.

"Leaving already?" Called Dongju.

"I have to get to class early to finish something with one of my classmates," Jay called back as he continued walking, heading to his next class.

 

~



"Why is this class so complicated today," whined Jay as he struggled with the assignment given. He tapped his pen against his cheek in thought as he looked over the paper.

"Having trouble again?" Came a voice from beside Jay as his seatmate looked over to see the progress made.

"Wouldn't you believe it," grumbled Jay as his tablet pinged, causing Jay to tap the screen to see who was messaging him. "Sunghoon," he sighed out, typing up a reply before getting up and excusing himself. "I need to have a chat with a friend in need, I'm sorry," he explained, bowing before grabbing his stuff and leaving the classroom.

 

~



Jay sat in his car after setting up his tablet on the dash, waiting on Sunghoon to start the call. He felt his wrist start to burn again and he took a breath to try and ignore it. Sunghoon was hurting again and Jay had promised to be there for him.

"Sorry, no one else was free to talk," greeted Sunghoon after Jay picked up the call. "I know you were in the middle of classes but I didn't know who else to talk to," he sighed.

"It's okay," reassured Jay. "I wanted to help in anyway I can," he added. "Besides, it's just an assignment I'm stuck on, so I'm glad for the break," he explained.

"I don't know what's going on with Jungwon and I," confessed Sunghoon as he let out a soft sigh. "Jungwon is being the supportive boyfriend and all, but I feel like he's not- he doesn't want to be with me anymore," he explained.

"How long have you felt like this?" Asked Jay. "Is this a new feeling you have or has it been in your head for a while now?" He asked.

"I think it's a new feeling," replied Sunghoon as he thought about it. "I never had to deal with it before though, this doubt," he mumbled.

Jay hummed, jumping in surprise when someone knocked on his window. Jay quickly rolled down the window and looked at who was at his car window. "Can I help you?" He asked, recognizing it as his seatmate from his class he walked out on.

"The professor asked for me to hand you your homework," replied his seatmate as he handed Jay a folder. "It's just coincidence that we happened to be parked next to each other," he commented with a shake of his head as he motioned to the car next to him.

"Ah, thanks...?" Asked Jay as he took the folder.

"Keonhee," Keonhee finished with a friendly grin. "Don't worry, I understand your situation," he added. "My- I had a timer and well," he mumbled in explanation. "Anyway, see you around Jay," he added quickly before he walked around to his car and getting in the driver's seat. He waved to Jay before backing out of his parking spot and driving off.

Jay huffed out a sigh as he rolled up his window, turning and putting the folder in the passenger seat.

"Forgot your homework huh?" Snorted Sunghoon as he changed the subject.

"For the record you were a priority," sighed Jay as he looked at the time. "I need to head to my next class, I'll talk to you later okay?" He asked. Sunghoon nodded before hanging up the call.

 

~



"Jay," called Dongmyeong as Jay entered the house after returning from university for the day.

"What's up?" Asked Jay as he entered the kitchen where Dongmyeong was rolling out dough for pizza.

"How was classes today?" Asked Dongmyeong as he looked over at Jay.

"It went fine," responded Jay as he leaned on the counter to watch Dongmyeong roll out the dough. "I saw Dongju during lunch," he added. "He seems to like it here so far," he explained with a shrug.

"I told him it'd be better to transfer here before his overseas trip to Korea," sighed Dongmyeong. "I guess since he has that internship to look forward to he was a bit hesitant," he mused, turning back to the pizza and going to grab the sauce to spread around it.

"Is he staying here until he has to go?" Asked Jay.

"Did you want him to?" Asked Dongmyeong as he looked up at Jay again.

"I don't mind it," hummed Jay. "We do have an extra room so," he added, shrugging.

"I'll see what he wants, okay?" Asked Dongmyeong as he finished adding the sauce, grabbing the cheese to spread across the pizza.

"Where's Yunho anyway?" Asked Jay as he changed the subject, walking around the counter to the oven and making sure to preheat it.

"He went to do something with Arthur, he should be back within a week," hummed Dongmyeong as he moved the pizza into a pan to get ready to bake. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Sunghoon is fighting with Jungwon again it seems," sighed Jay. "I just hope they'll be okay, Sunghoon doesn't- he's hurting," he mumbled.

"Ah," hummed Dongmyeong as he nodded in understanding.