Chapter 11

The Aftermath

Returning to classes was just annoying for Jay, though he knew he had to return to at least 3 of his classes. His fourth one didn't need him due to it being the class he was sharing with Keonhee.

Their professor in that class moved the rest of the semester pretty much online, so that everyone could focus on the big project.

For now it was midterms, and studying for them. Keonhee and Jay stayed in different rooms to not be distracted while Dongju spent his studying time in his and Dongmyeong's room.

 

~



"Well, at least this time our shared professor is fine with us putting off the project to focus on our other classes," commented Koenhee as he and Jay spent their break time in the kitchen to eat.

"Mhm," hummed Jay as he ate his food, ignoring the burning in his wrist to the best of his ability.

"What's wrong?" Asked Keonhee as he turned to Jay.

"Just harder to ignore the burning today is all," mumbled Jay as he shook his head.

"Ah," hummed Keonhee as he nodded sympathetically.

 

~



Jay stared at himself in the mirror in the bathroom, keeping his hands on the edges of the sink as he fought with himself. Part of him was itching to reach for the pills under the sink, but a bigger part of him knew that he shouldn't do this. He had to complete this project if it meant that he could tell his story and move on.

"Are you okay?" Came Dongju's voice from outside the bathroom. "You've been in there for an hour now," he explained, concern clear in his voice as he knocked on the door.

Jay turned away from the mirror and went to the door, opening it to look at a worried looking Dongju who thankfully didn't question more on the matter. "I'm fine," reassured Jay as he nodded.

"When are you due for your therapist anyway?" Asked Dongju as Jay walked out of the bathroom. "I'm pretty sure you're due for a visit soon?" He asked, following after Jay as he walked towards the kitchen.

"I've been having online sessions with them," replied Jay as he entered the kitchen and grabbed a drink from the fridge.

"Are they helping?" Asked Dongju as Jay closed the fridge door before taking a sip of his drink as he turned to Dongju.

"I don't know," hummed Jay as he shook his head. "My therapist thinks it's better on me if I continued this project, and that's helping a little," he explained. "Just- some days are harder than others, I guess," he added, closing the bottle and setting it on the counter.

"I get that," hummed Dongju. "Well, sort of," he added, shaking his head. "Just- if you need someone to keep you company, well," he added as an afterthought. "I'm here, okay?" He asked, hoping Jay got the gist of what he was trying to convey.

"Thank you, Dongju," Jay mumbled, sincerely as he nodded in thanks. He grabbed his drink and headed back to his room to continue studying.

 

~



Keonhee leaned against the headboard with a sigh, his notebook in his lap as he ran out of ideas to implement into his project. He didn't know what else to do with his project, but he knew one thing, he was close to completing it. He just had to figure out what to do in terms of visuals.

A movie would work, but that would've required footage of his soulmate. Keonhee wasn't sure if his soulmate's family would even let him use any footage from that time.

"A slideshow it is then," hummed Keonhee as he got up, going over to his desk and sitting down. He grabbed his laptop and opened it, turning it on and letting it boot before opening powerpoint and starting on that portion of the project.

 

~



Jay felt worse as the days wore on, his mind just not in the right place mentally. Each day he worked on his project like it was the only thing keeping him sane while also studying for his midterms.

Dongju was keeping a closer eye on him as everyone finished their midterms and gradually went back to a normal schedule.

Yunho and Dongmyeong were there as much as they could be, but both Arthur and Mujin needed them for some big annual meeting that all the kings had and they couldn't just say no. Jay had let them go because he didn't want to be a burden plus he still had Dongju and Keonhee so he wasn't alone.

 

~



Jay stared at the computer screen in front of him, humming in thought as he went over where his progress was going with the big project. He hadn't gotten very far, but he was farther than Keonhee was apparently. He looked away from the computer screen to look at the picture on his desk, picking it up and looking at the picture of his soulmate and his brother.

"What has my life come to huh?" Jay asked himself before putting the picture back in its place and getting up. He made sure to save his progress before shutting down his computer and walking away from his desk.

"You okay?" Asked Keonhee as Jay bumped into him in the hallway.

"I don't know," sighed Jay as he shook his head. "I'll be okay, I think," he added. "I need to go out and grab some art supplies, you wanna come with me?" He asked.

"Sure," hummed Keonhee. "Let me grab my phone and wallet," he added, going to do so as he walked passed Jay.

Jay went to get his shoes and put them on before leaving the house and getting in his car. He sat in in for a few minutes, contemplating what to get as Keonhee soon joined him getting into the passenger seat and closing the door.

"Where's Dongju?" Asked Keonhee as Jay started the car, backing out of the driveway before driving off.

"I think he's still in his classes, I don't know," replied Jay as he focused on driving. "I was asking if you wanted to come along because I didn't want to be alone right now," he explained. "Also I have one big final project on top of this one we're working on in our class so I need art supplies," he added.

"I see," hummed Keonhee as he nodded.

 

~



As Jay was getting his art supplies Keonhee browsed a different part of the store looking for inspiration for his final project. He stared at the different model cars in thought, wondering if he should get one and try to repaint it. Or try his luck with a wooden airplane model he could put together and paint.

"Any luck?" Asked Jay as he found Keonhee after getting what he needed.

"No," hummed Keonhee as he shook his head. "I'll come up with something I'm sure," he added. "But for now," he sighed, turning to Jay who raised an eyebrow at him. "For now I'm leaving empty handed," he finished, huffing as he shook his head. "Did you get what you needed?" He asked.

"I did, yeah," replied Jay as he nodded before turning around and heading towards the checkout lanes to pay. "It's all I need, really," he explained as Keonhee followed after him.

"You have an idea of what you want huh?" Asked Keonhee.

"It works out because I can incorporate this project into the final one for our class," explained Jay as he paid for his things.

"Hey, that's a good idea," remarked Keonhee as he looked thoughtful. "I should think of something similar," he mused humming in thought as he followed Jay out the door after he paid for his things.