Chapter 9

The Aftermath

A soft sigh escaped Jay as he stood in front of Sunghoon's room again. He had been requested to go see Sunghoon by Sunghoon, which had honestly surprised him. He knocked on the door before entering, closing the door behind him before turning to face his friend.

"Jay," greeted Sunghoon as he turned to look at Jay.

"Sunghoon," greeted Jay, looking relieved to see that Sunghoon seemed to be doing better. He soon walked over and sat down in a chair by his bed, looking down at his lap.

"I'm sorry to have dragged you from school to deal with this," mumbled Sunghoon as he looked away from Jay.

"I'm sorry for not answering your pleas for help when you needed me," muttered Jay.

Sunghoon shook his head. "I knew you were busy, and I forgot about time zones," he mumbled. "It's okay though, you didn't have to come," he added.

"I would've felt bad if I didn't," sighed Jay. "Please understand that I didn't ignore you on purpose," he explained.

"I understand that," reassured Sunghoon. "Don't blame Jungwon for what I did okay?" He asked. "The fight wasn't even what caused this," he explained, motioning to the room and himself in general.

"What caused it, huh?" Asked Jay as he looked up at Sunghoon. "You two have been fighting a lot more lately," he explained with a shake of his head. "Niki told me about the big fight that happened a few days before your hospitalization," he added.

"It was the anniversary," sighed Sunghoon, as if it explained everything as he turned to Jay. "For people like me we got to see color for the whole day, up until the time of death," he explained. "I only got to see it for an hour, as the crash happened a bit after I usually wake up," he added.

Understanding dawned on Jay's face as he subconsciously rubbed at at his wrist, which was now covered up by a leather bracelet. "Ah," was all he could muster up, looking sympathetic as he leaned back in his chair.

"The grief hit me hard after that," huffed Sunghoon as he turned away, looking at the wall and away from Jay. "I got into a fight with Jungwon because he didn't understand," he explained. "He wouldn't understand, thankfully," he added.

"I see," mumbled Jay. "This makes more sense now," he remarked, sighing as he got up. "Thank you, for letting me see you," he added. "I hope, that things get better with you, and I promise to not ignore you next time," he said in goodbye before turning and walking towards the door.

"Bye Jay," Sunghoon muttered, loud enough for Jay to hear. He looked down at his lap as Jay paused at the door before opening it and leaving the room, letting the door close behind him.

 

~



"Are you okay?" Asked Niki as he stood beside Jay as he browsed the refrigerated section of a convenience store.

"I don't know," Jay replied, honestly. "I know I must seem like I'm sulking," he added with a sigh. "It's just- I wish I had more time," he explained with a shake of his head.

"You're due back home soon?" Asked Niki as he blinked in surprise.

"I can't put off my classes any longer, and Arthur only paid for a two week trip," explained Jay as he grabbed a drink and walked over to the counter to pay for it. "Also according to my roommates we have a new roommate," he added, shrugging as he paid for his drink.

"Who is it?" Asked Niki as he walked over after grabbing something to drink and paying for it.

"I've told you about him, his name's Keonhee," replied Jay as he stepped away from the counter after grabbing his drink and opening it. He took a sip and walked out of the store with Niki following after him.

"Um, also is it normal to not have a soulmate mark? Mine never appeared," commented Niki as they walked down the sidewalk.

"You could be one of those odd cases where you don't have a soulmate," hummed Jay as he thought about it. "It does seem likely, but don't worry," he added. "You'll find someone I'm sure," he explained. "I'm sure Taehyun or someone would've mentioned something if your soulmate isn't, well," he added, shaking his head.

"Yeah, I get that," sighed Niki. "I just thought I'd get something cool," he whined, earning a chuckle from Jay.

 

~



"Look, I'm sorry," apologized Jungwon as he finally got to talk to Jay. "I didn't think of what he meant by it was the anniversary," he tried to explain as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Why are you apologizing to me?" Asked Jay as he stared down Jungwon with a blank expression. "You should be apologizing to your boyfriend," he added. "It's no wonder Jake moved out of the dorms huh?" He asked, scoffing at the surprised look on Jungwon's face. "Niki's close to moving too, from what I hear," he added. "Just mend things with him before you lose everyone yeah?" He asked, turning and walking away.

Jungwon lunged at him in anger, getting ready to throw a punch as he grabbed Jay by the shoulder and reared his arm back to throw a punch.

Jay was quick on his feet, as Seoho had started training him in dodging attacks, moving out of the way of the punch and grabbing Jungwon's arm. He pulled Jungwon forward before bringing up a knee to Jungwon's stomach and hitting him hard enough for Jungwon to wheeze in pain before moving away and leaving Jungwon to slump to the floor in defeat, coughing as he clutched at his stomach.

"Watch it," spat Jay before he turned and walked away. "Get your act together and then we can talk," he added as an insult.

 

~



The plane ride back to the US was expected, but it still left Jay feeling sad to be leaving the place he had come to call home after spending his high school years and the start of university in.

Sunghoon was out of the hospital after getting an all clear from his doctors and Jungwon had promised to try to make amends with him.

Jay promised to bring Keonhee along next time, if he was up for it of course, and of course his bodyguards if their kings didn't need them immediately. Dongju would be transferring at the end of the year so Jay promised to come along with him to visit at least.

For now it was back to the grind of homework, dealing with the burning in his wrist, and a budding friendship with Keonhee.