Chapter 16

The Aftermath

Jay looked at the finished painting of himself, Sunoo, Younghoon and Keonhee for the last time before covering it with a sheet. He turned away from it before walking away and putting his hands in his pockets.

 

~

 

Keonhee let out a soft sigh as he watched through his final project, suddenly feeling almost nostalgic in a way. He knew that with this project being officially done it meant he was finally moving on. He just hoped that his heart was ready to move on by this point.

 

~

 

Dongju smiled encouragingly at Jay who fidgeted with the paper in his hand as he waited on his art professor to walk over and judge his final project. "You got this," Dongju exclaimed while throwing his hands up in a cheer.

 

"I got this," repeated Jay before he took a deep breath to steady his nerves. As the professor walked over to Jay's painting Dongju moved away to let Jay explain his painting to his professor and why he chose to draw what he did. When the professor gave a pass Jay grinned in relief and happiness. He immediately asked if he could take the painting to his next class, as it was part of another project the professor gave him permission.

 

~

 

Keonhee took his spot and noted that Jay's chair was empty as he turned to the seat beside him before blinking in surprise as Jay entered the classroom rather quickly and set up his project in the corner by the professor's desk before going to sit at his place next to Keonhee.

 

“You were almost late to class,” remarked Keonhee as he leaned back in his chair.

 

“I know, I almost didn't have any time to head over after the presentation was done for my art class,” sighed Jay as he shook his head.

 

“How did that go anyway?” Asked Keonhee as he looked curious.

 

“Very well,” responded Jay as he nodded. “Luckily the professor let me take it with me after the presentation, but I got nice marks with it,” he explained. “Not sure if I passed the class or not with just that but I guess we shall see,” he added.

 

“Well, good luck to you,” Keonhee said with an encouraging grin, earning a soft smile from Jay.

 

~

 

The presentations for the others in their class was honestly boring for both Keonhee and Jay as they listened to the others in their class drone on and on about the people they chose.

 

When it came time for Keonhee to present his project he went up to the desk and set up his laptop. He took a moment to hook up the projector before starting the movie.

 

~

 

Hello

 

My name is Keonhee and I decided to do my final project on my soulmate.

 

Not many people know this but I never met my soulmate before he died. I am pretty certain we knew each other from before, but I wanted to focus on the person known as Kim Younghoon of this life.

 

As the voiceover went through there were pictures of Younghoon through his life, his accomplishments and various little bits here and there.

 

I don't know how he died, but I found out about his death way before I knew about him due to my soulmate mark. I had a timer and we were 14 hours 30 minutes and 1 seconds away from meeting each other. Though I was fairly certain that we were going to meet sometime before his death because the timer had been going down before stopping.

 

The movie stopped at the obituary and a final picture of Younghoon smiling at the camera before fading to black and ending. Keonhee let out a deep breath as he steeled himself, shutting the lid to the laptop before stepping around the desk to face the class.

 

“Now, I don't know what he would've done because I think he was still in high school when everything went down, but,” explained Keonhee as he clasped his hands together in front of him, trying not to fidget as he looked around the classroom. “I do think that we would've met that day, and who knows, we would be here in this very classroom together or something going through the same project,” he mused, shaking his head.

 

“Anyway, that is my project, I'm sorry my actual presentation isn't what most people did but I didn't have very much to go on,” concluded Keonhee as he bowed. When everyone started clapping Keonhee straightened, blinking in surprise at the support from the entire class. Keonhee grinned, going to unhook his laptop and going back to his seat. Now it was Jay's turn.

 

~

 

Jay steeled himself as he got up, walking down the stairs and passing Keonhee who patted Jay on the shoulder in encouragement before going to sit down. Jay walked over to his covered painting and brought it over, setting up the easel and putting the painting on the easel.

 

“Now, just like Keonhee I also did mine on my soulmate,” explained Jay as he turned back to the class. “I never knew who he was either,” he added. “But I knew that in the months before his death he wasn't feeling well mentally,” he explained.

 

“You see, my soulmate mark is one where you feel the physical pain your soulmate is going through, and I wondered why my wrist kept feeling like it was burning every other week or so,” explained Jay as he subconsciously rubbed at his leather covered wrist. He looked around the room, making eye contact with Keonhee who gave him an encouraging nod.

 

Jay took a calming breath before turning and uncovering the painting, turning back to the class as everyone took in the painting for the first time. “You see, after the death of my soulmate's brother my soulmate fell into depression," he explained as he shook his head. “But he tried to push through it you know? I think he was in Korea the same time I was, because when I found his obituary it was in a Korean newspaper,” he added. “I don't know what caused him to snap, but from what I understand he- well,” he managed to say, rubbing the back of his neck with his left hand.

 

“I know I would've done everything to find him, and he would've done the same, and if I found him in time I think we would've worked through it together, who knows,” he eventually managed to say after taking another breath to steady his nerves. “I think we would've stayed in Korea to finish studying and I would've taken him to the states to meet my family,” he added.

 

“The reason I have Keonhee here and his soulmate is that both his and my soulmate were brothers,” explained Jay as he motioned to Keonhee and Younghoon in the painting. “My soulmate's name was Seonwoo, but everyone called him Sunoo so I just continue to call him Sunoo,” he added as an afterthought. “I don't know what he would be doing today if I'm honest with you, but I'm sure we would also be in the same school, doing our day to day things,” he explained.

 

“And that's all,” concluded Jay as he let out a sigh, bowing before straightening when everyone started clapping. Jay smiled, feeling relieved before he covered up his painting and moving it out of the way. He then went to sit down and Keonhee smiled at him before turning his attention back to the front of the class as the teacher congratulated everyone on their projects.

 

~

 

Jay and Keonhee entered their home after the last classes of the day with Dongju right behind them.

 

“You did a great job on your project," commented Keonhee as he turned to Jay.

 

“You did too,” retorted Jay as he grinned at Keonhee.

 

“Now we gotta get ready for that trip!” Chimed in Dongju as he brought the two of them together in a hug as he slung his arms around their shoulders. “We'll get to see your friends, and go see your soulmates' resting places!” He exclaimed.

 

“Have they really been asking about me though?" Asked Keonhee as he looked at Jay.

 

“Mostly Jake has, but Niki has wanted to meet you too,” explained Jay as he nodded.

 

“Huh,” hummed Keonhee.