Chapter 4

The Aftermath

It took a week before Keonhee agreed to meet Jay's roommates. It wasn't like he didn't want to, he did, but Keonhee had been stuck with visiting family and was too busy to even get to classes.

It was fine with Jay, as his mind was in a dark place again. He barely got up to go to classes when he did have them, and on his days off Jay preferred to stay in his room and sleep when he wasn't putting in minimal effort to at least work on his assignments.

 

~



"You okay?" Asked Keonhee as he sat down beside Jay in the class they shared. "You look like a wreck," he remarked with his head tilting to the side in concern.

"I haven't been in the best place mentally," mumbled Jay as he let out a sigh. "I'll be okay though," he reassured with a nod of his head. "My roommates are keeping an eye on me at home," he explained. "So I'm okay, really," he added.

"I-," started Keonhee as he blinked in surprise. "Okay," he finally mumbled after a minute of contemplating what to say.

"Don't worry too much," sighed Jay. "I'm okay, really," he added. "It's just been a tough time for me," he explained. "But I'm getting through it," he added as a reassurance.

"If you say so," hummed Keonhee as he turned to the board when the professor called for everyone's attention.

 

~



"I can come see your roommates with you after class today," Keonhee stated with a shrug, turning to Jay who nodded.

"I have one more class today, but we can eat lunch at the cafeteria," Jay muttered, nodding as he took notes. "After class I am heading home so we could meet up later," he added.

"Sure," agreed Keonhee as he nodded. "We can meet at the library after your last class," he added.

Jay nodded, cementing the agreement to meet up before turning his attention back to the professor who droned on and on about the lesson.

 

~



After class Jay and Keonhee walked to the cafeteria, meeting Dongju on the way there as he was also heading to the cafeteria to have lunch. He took one look at Keonhee and they instantly clicked, Dongju pretty much talking Keonhee's ears off as they waited in line to get their lunches. Jay could only watch in amusement as Keonhee nodded along to whatever Dongju said, providing commentary every now and again as he continued to converse with Dongju.

"Ah, sorry, I'm Dongju by the way!" Dongju said in introduction after they had sat down with their food. "I'm brothers with one of Keonhee's roommates," he explained as he started eating. "I recently moved into the house with them so I could continue school here so," he added.

"Keonhee," Keonhee responded in introduction, digging into his food with gusto. "Ah, you're one of the roommates I'm meeting then," he remarked with an amused look.

"I- I guess," mumbled Dongju as he shrugged, looking embarrassed. "I recently transferred from Washington State, so I'm finishing my year here before moving to Korea," he explained. "I'm finishing my last year there and then coming back to intern at Google," he added.

"How did you manage to get an internship to google?" Asked Keonhee as he looked surprised. "That seems like it'd be almost impossible to get into," he remarked.

"I don't know," sighed Dongju. "I just know that I got the internship thanks to my brother," he explained. "Apparently the king he works for knows the hiring guys at google and recommended me," he added.

"Your brother works for a king?" Asked Keonhee as he blinked in even more surprise.

"His brother and my other roommate do," chimed in Jay as he ate his food. "We're currently living at one of the king's houses," he added.

"Which kings do they work for?" Asked Keonhee, looking genuinely curious.

"One works for Arthur and the other works for Mujin," responded Jay as he shrugged. "I don't think you'll see them today, but my roommates are there," he added.

"Don't you gotta be like... Immortal or something to work for them?" Asked Keonhee. "I've heard so much about what they do, it makes me curious," he explained.

"Immortal to an extant," explained Dongju. "Dongmyeong is only immortal because he's my twin and he doesn't have a soulmate mark, we're linked in that sense," he added. "You have those going through reincarnation, and then you got those who are just stuck at a certain age until they meet their soulmate," he explained.

"Reincarnation sounds like it'd ," commented Keonhee. "I've heard stories, though I've never met someone who's going through it," he explained.

"Soobin is dealing with it now," hummed Jay. "It was his soulmate at first, then they switched places," he added. "I don't know about the others, though Dongju here is on his third life apparently," he added.

"Yeah," sighed Dongju as Keonhee looked perplexed at the idea, turning to Dongju for an explanation. "It's why my brother is immortal, I guess," he explained. "My soulmate is apparently somewhere in Europe, waiting on his king to be reborn," he added.

"Interesting," hummed Keonhee. "Who's the oldest?" He asked.

"Uh, I think it's Seoho?" Asked Jay. "I haven't met the others to really know, but I do know that Seoho is one of the oldest members," he explained.

"Funnily enough he currently works for the youngest of the kings," chimed in Dongju. "Dann is the oldest, and Soobin is working for him," he explained. "Though when Louis is reborn he'll be the youngest, and my soulmate will be working for him," he added.

"Who is your soulmate anyway? Does your brother resent him for causing you to die two other times before this? Does he even know you're alive right now?" Asked Keonhee as he blushed in embarrassment. "Sorry, I am genuinely curious," he mumbled in explanation.

"I don't know who my soulmate is," replied Dongju as he shook his head. "I just know they're in Europe, because my brother is in a group chat with all the bodyguards," he explained.

"I don't think he resents my soulmate? I don't know," mumbled Dongju, answering Keonhee's second question. "I never bothered to ask, but I'm pretty sure that my soulmate knows I'm alive," he added. "He's just in Europe right now waiting on his king to be reborn, so that they could possibly save him when Ivan, who is his king's soulmate, eventually meets him again," he explained.

"Louis right? That's the king with reincarnation?" Asked Keonhee. "Ivan is on the other side of the coin, being stuck alive?" He asked.

"Yeah," hummed Dongju. "I don't know why but Louis is taking a long time to be reincarnated," he sighed. "This next life, whenever that happens will be his second life, apparently," he explained.

"I should get going to my next class," Jay chimed in as he finished eating. "I'll see you after class, yeah? Also Dongju don't go causing trouble now," he added, getting up and grabbing his things and lunch tray.

"Oi," whined Dongju.

"Sure, we'll meet in the library," replied Keonhee. "I have to do a bit of studying anyway," he added. Jay nodded and walked off, going to throw leftovers away before heading to his next class.