Chapter 1

Mr Cold Heart

Chaeyoung's POV

 

"Why would I marry an old man ?" I muttered to myself, and then scoff. This is flipping useless. Talking to myself won't help me out in this dumb situation. Why am I even talking to myself and a can of coke?

Oh right, because what's happening is taking away my insanity. An arranged marriage promised a hundred years ago. Arranged marriages is not the trend, anyone. My folks and those Min people should know that.

This idiotic situation happened when a century ago, my Grandpa's father made an oath with his friend, a Min heir. They promised each other to bond their families together since my clan is practically filthy rich and so are the Min. Basically, my great Grandpa and his friend are money-hounds.

Unfortunately, they both had a son for a first-born and they both didn't have the chance to have another try with their wives – I don't know if I should laugh because they died early or if I should cry because if they lived longer, my 'fiancé' and I probably would be relatives.

And I wouldn’t be dealing with this situation.

So yeah, I should probably cry.

Grandpa and the new Min heir became great friends too, but they both had a son and died early...

Maybe I should befriend the present Min heir and die early too? Because a curse seems to be working here.

I sighed and looked at the can exasperatedly, "I hate my life."

▬▬▬▬▬

"I'm not going," I said, my arms crossed against my chest. Yes, very mature, Chaeyoung. Very mature, that'll make you live longer in this harsh, cruel world.

"You will," Dad said, glaring at me. To my surprise, a dozen – or more – of maids barged in my room and –

"LET GO OF ME!"

How low! Even for Dad! How could he allow these people manhandle me?!

"We know that you already took a bath, young lady. But we will bathe you again." One of the women said, making me fume.

"What?! No thank you! I smell fine already, thank you very much! Let me go!"

They all ignored me and pushed me towards the bathroom, some of them already inside just in case I outsmarted them and lock the door and escape through the window not minding that it's pretty high up from the window...

Yes, I can be insane when I'm desperate.

When they were finished washing my whole body – these people should really know the word 'privacy' – they hauled me up from the tub and helped me dry myself. After that, they made me wear a fluffy robe and pulled me towards my closet. Some of them started to search for an appropriate outfit, while the rest were clutching me as if hell would break loose if I managed to escape. I feel dangerous.

My nose scrunched up when they showed me what they chose, "I don't wear dresses, I only wear those when I have no choice."

"Do you have any now, young lady?"

"Ha-ha," I said dryly, "Funny”. “Don't be smart and give me that."

 

▬▬▬▬▬

Donning a white dress and strappy sandals, I feel...

Cold.

"Get me a coat, goddamn it!" I snapped, "You guys made me wear this and you expect me to wear it like a professional model?!"

"Only if you shut up," Mom said pointedly, at which I rolled my eyes.

"Here, young lady." A maid handed me a cream-colored Sherlock-styled coat.

"Thanks," I mumbled and wore it.

"Now let's go, and don't even think about escaping, Chaeyoung."

Funny, I was already plotting numerous plans a few hours ago. As if they'll all work though.

When we entered the family limousine, Dad spoke. "This is very important, Chaeyoung. This is an oath that was made a century ago."

"I don't need to be reminded," I hissed.

"You don't understand. I'm very lucky to be able to have two daughters, I was the first one to even have a daughter at our family's history. My father, your Grandpa, died not too long after I was born. But Yoongi's father didn't managed to fight this so-called curse. It is better if you and Yoongi marry early and have lots of kids."

"What? So I'll be a breeder?" I deadpanned.

"Chaeyoung,"

"You don't understand," I gritted my teeth. "I'm young. I just graduated—why can't I do the things I want? You two promised me that once I finished my studies, I'm able to do anything I want! This isn't the deal!" I exclaimed. "Alice is three years older, she's at the same age with that Yoongi guy! Why not her?!"

Then suddenly, he slapped me.

"You shouldn't have done that, Minyoung."

"I can't help it; your daughter's getting stubborn by the years."

"Chae—"

"Don't touch me, Alice. I don't need you." I glared at her, I feel like my eyes are stinging but I definitely don't want to cry in front of them. One of my cheeks is stinging too, but I refuse to acknowledge that.

Coincidentally, we arrived at the place. The driver opened the divider that separates the front seat from the back seat, "Sir, we're here."

Someone, definitely a chauffeur, opened the door. I quickly scooted towards the exit.

Before I get out, I turned. "I never wanted to be born in your family. You all should have get rid of me the moment I was born."

▬▬▬▬▬

After cooling my face with water and efficiently getting rid of the hand mark on my face, I went out of the restroom without even retouching the make-up the women back at the house did with full-effort.

 

I don't care, so why bother?

"You look pale," Alice commented and then with a longer lingering stare, she gasped. "You removed your make-up?"

"I don't like make-up," I glared at her. "You're wearing some, so why don't you meet him instead?"

"Let me put some on you—"

"No need, I look terrible with or without make-up, what's the use of it?" I sneered and inched away from her.

Lots of people already commented of how I treat my parents, and especially, my sister. They said that they could understand my hatred for my parents because lots of rich children have that drama. What they couldn't understand, is my hatred for Alice.

Alice is nice, Alice is prim and proper, Alice is elegant, Alice is perfect –

And me?

I’m such a barbaric person, I’m so rude, I don't care about others, I’m too selfish, I’m so different from my sister, Alice is far better than me –

See?

I try to cope with it. Really, I do. No one knows about how I feel, because despite of what they're saying to me, they're selfish too. They only acknowledge the things they want to acknowledge, and I'm not usually one of their lists. And if I am? I'm probably at the bottom, and that's just because they're curious and hungry for gossip because they ran out.

I'm tired of people, that's why I have no friends. I'm tired of people, that's why I don't speak to them. I'm tired of people, because they make me so mad. I'm tired of trying to understand them, even though they don't even bother to understand me before judging because of what I do. I'm tired of this life, but I try to cope with it. Really, I do.

I'm so tired that I just chose to not care anymore.

If I don't care, then I won't bother.

People care about everything, so they bother about everything.

It's a pain.

And I don't care, so I won't bother.

▬▬▬▬▬

He's like a huge ice block that some stupid person decided to make a human out of. His looks are blank, cold or sometimes, judging. I could already tell from just looking at him straight for the past five minutes.

"Are you done staring?"

"Yes." I blankly answered and looked away. I don't even like what I'm looking at.

"I don't want to marry you—"

"Neither do I."

"Let me finish," he coldly said, in which I just rolled my eyes. "Even though I don't want to marry you, I will because it benefits me."

Wow, so straightforward. He's obviously blunt, based on the way he speaks.

 

"I expect you to see the pros in this arrangement, and we could get a divorce—"

"Then let's not just marry each other," I simply said, cutting him in.

He gave me an ice-cold glare, "What are you saying? Are you not listening to what I said?"

"I have ears that function well, thank you very much for worrying, but I don't like doing something that could be pointless in the end. In short, why would I marry you when we'll separate in the end?"

"I'll give you alimony,"

"That's good, but I don't really care. I don't want to marry, it's simple, really."

There was silence.

"What does really bother you about this?"

"I just recently got into my twenties." I started, "And my parents and I had a deal. After I graduate, I'll be able to do what I want to do; I'll be free. What I didn't expect is this; this flipping arrangement. I don't want this! I don't want to marry some old man—"

"I'm only three years older than you."

"—who I barely know and people expect me to bear a child as soon as possible?!"

"Grandma and your parents are being wary of this so-called curse."

"You believe in that stuff?" I scoffed.

"This stuff you're referring about killed your Grandpa and his father," and he raised a brow. "And mine too."

"Well, I'm sorry," Sarcasm dripped off my tongue as I spoke, "You see, I don't really give a flying care about everything now. So why won't you be such a good man and just. Goddamn. Reject. The arrangement!"

"Making the Min family and the Park family as one is a good opportunity—"

"You know what?! You're the same with the others; you're also a money-hound! Don't you know how serious a wedding is?! It's a holy event! You folks should know that!"

"Is that what's bothering you? The divorce?" he raised a brow. The way he acts infuriates me, how could he be calm?! Should I just strangle him and let him die?!

"Are you seriously hoping to find the right man for you to marry?" His tone was mocking, and that made my hands clench into fists. "You're a Park heiress, your family wouldn't allow that."

"I don't care," I mumbled. "Who cares about them? All my life, they always control me. All my life, I tried to make them see my worth. But someone... someone always has to be better, someone always has to be the greater one, someone always has to be the perfect one... I'm tired. I don't want to deal any of this mess... I never wished to be born in such an unfair world."

It was silent after that. Yoongi only gave me a blank stare, as if I said something so stupid that he decided that it's not worth his time to react. I bit the inside of my cheek in internal frustration. Must I really...?! Ugh, so stupid, Chaeyoung! Seriously, giving a little outburst right in front of him...!

He stood up, making me look at him as he stands in front of me.

"I'll marry you," he said, as if he's commenting something nonchalantly. "And you have nothing to do about it."

And just like a strong wind, he left quickly and swiftly.

And left me a little shaken.

▬▬▬▬▬

Yoongi POV

Great. I get a POV. I’m not just some side character. She gave a little outburst right in front of me. All I wanted to say was, welcome to life! It’s not fair and you have to deal with it! It’s not fair because you can’t love me back! Yes, I’ve loved you since the day Grandma took me to watch you sing. You are the only person I’ve ever felt for! But what kind of creep would I be if I admitted that I already like her? Yeah, that’s right, a big one! So I pretend I hate you the way you hate me. I let her hyperventilate for a few seconds then I said, I’ll marry you” “And you have nothing to do about it”. What I am also going to do is make her fall for me. Then I left. I didn’t say my POV would be interesting.