vast seas & best of friends

Inescapable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the summer of the year 2008, the seven-year-old Minjeong was with her family on a cruise ship that was destined to go to Hawaii, an island that is a must-tourist destination. 

 

The head of the family, Kim Jaehyuk, just opened another chain of his restaurant in Seoul. As a celebration, they decided to have a vacation in paradise. Also considering moving to the city to foster their family-owned business. 

 

The Kims are from a long-line family of soldiers. Jaehyuk retired early from the battlefield after saving enough money to be able to achieve his dream job. 

 

The sun that was shining brightly and the sky that was lit up with great glory brought a smile to little Minjeong. There was a powerful sense of harmony and joy as she gazed up at the sun.

 

Her mind was filled with the idea of ships and vast seas, and still daydreaming about her vacation made her oblivious to her surroundings. 

 

Minjeong's thoughts and fantasies were sharply interrupted when she heard silent whimpers and sobs. A girl with hair that was dark as the night sky was sitting on the bench crying her heart out.

 

It pained Minjeong to see the other girl cry. She got something from her pocket, her signature white handkerchief with her initials woven on it, KMJ. She handed it to the raven-haired girl, the latter looked up and Minjeong thought about how expressive her eyes were.

 

The time stopped for a minute and Minjeong believed that she heard beautiful hymns while she looked at the other girl's eyes that could express almost every emotion known to man. There was a force between them that pulled Minjeong to oblivion, almost creating a spark while they stared into each other's eyes.

 

It was quite difficult for Minjeong to understand the reason for the sullen face of the girl. She couldn't help but wonder why the girl was crying. With a smile, Minjeong encouraged the girl to speak.

 

"Thank you."

 

A simple greeting with gratitude and yet she managed to capture Minjeong's heart and attention. Minjeong was in awe hearing the girl speak in a language she knew too well considering that the girl looked Korean just like her.

 

Without having a second thought, Minjeong replied, "I do not know your reason for crying but it will be okay. All will be alright in time."

 

This was an awful feeling, Minjeong thought. She doesn't really know how to comfort people. She was used to the feeling that she was the one who was getting pampered and not the other way around.

 

"By the way, I'm Minjeong, Kim Minjeong. You can call me Mindongie or Minjeong"

 

She offered the unnamed girl her brightest smile, the smile that could replace the sun. The smile radiated so much positivity that it made the other girl smile too.

 

"I'm Jimin. Yu Jimin."

 

Minjeong was star-struck when Jimin gave off her eye smile. She was taken aback by it. It made her stomach have some fuzzy feelings that even she couldn't comprehend.

 

“Want to get ice cream with me?” 

“Of course, I like mint choco.”

“Really? I do too!”

 

They just clicked. Like they were part of each other's puzzle pieces. They made each other whole as if their meeting was meant to be and was written on the stars.

 

The budding friendship grew and they did all of the activities on the cruise with each other, side by side. They played in their own suites, swam on the top deck of the cruise together, and introduced their family background to each other. 

 

It was one afternoon when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter