8

I just wanna go home

 

 

The technician introduced himself and went to work fairly quickly, Jihyo figured it wasn’t the only place he would have to visit that day. For some reason, the man, Jiyoo, got his blood taken as well. Jihyo tried not to think about what that might mean, but it was impossible to not see how they were all looking at her like she was the answer to their prayers. It was also impossible not to notice the similarities between herself and Jiyoo. The big question is ‘was there no other heir that could have been chosen’.

 

After the technician was gone, mr Ko said they would know in the afternoon. They spend the rest of the time getting to know Jihyo better, as a person, that was. mr Ko had already provided all the official records of her life. Jihyo, in turn, didn’t see the harm in talking to these people, all in all, she could make friends in high places, and they were honestly interested. She told them everything about herself, including how her only real friend ended up being Kim Dahyun and how she wasn’t that enthusiastic about attending the woman’s birthday party because of old, familiar faces. 

 

Jiyoo and Ahrin were the ones to convince her to attend, maybe let other people into her life. But Chinsun saw how the idea bothered the young woman, and was the one who mediated things and got the others to understand that the others had already wasted their chance, but she was also the one to convince Jihyo to attend and be cordial, as those were people Dahyun had connected with and she should support her friend, not force her to compartmentalize her life because Jihyo didn’t like the others. She told the young woman that she should, at least, tolerate them for her friend's sake, because that’s what best friends do, they support each other, even if they don’t agree, but are always there to catch one another when they fall.

 

Lunch was filled with more conversation, Jihyo found out that Chinsun couldn’t have children, when she asked about the couple. Mr Ko received the results halfway through the meal, merely announced it and resumed eating. Jihyo was also told a lot about the family, they were old money, big in many fields, but lately more focused on the medical area, in general. Meal over, everyone went back to the office, this was still a conversation for their ears only. Mr Ko waited for tea to be served and for the maid to leave, before checking that the hallway was empty and closing the door himself. They couldn’t trust anyone else yet.

 

“Well, don’t leave us waiting, Sejeong.” Ahrin urged.

 

“Well, I’m opening the email, then.” Mr Ko agreed easily.

 

With bated breaths, they wait for the lawyer to read through the message, mr Ko is repressing a smile really well, Jihyo notices, but the others seem not to.

 

“Ms Park Jihyo, you are indeed who we have been looking for.” Mr Ko announces happily.

 

The family is elated, finally, the true heir was found. It was impressive how old mr Gok knew all along and even made the arrangements to have her as the heir on his testament. Jihyo is hugged, kissed and passed from one to another, she lets them. Jihyo herself was happy that she found some family that cared for her, even if after all these years. When everyone settled down, mr Ko spoke again. Jihyo found herself being placed between Jiyoo and his wife, but she isn’t complaining.

 

“Now that we have proof that Jihyo is who we claim she is, I’ll begin the preparations for the inheritance. Also, your father will tell you all about the family business, but you can do whatever you decide.” Mr Ko says, directing the last part at the woman in question.

 

“Should I start calling you dad now?”

 

“Only if you want to. We are your family, even if a bit late, and we are here for you regardless of anything.” Jiyoo asures his daughter.

 

“Also” Ahrin interjects. “we’ll tell you all about our family, but you can choose the path you prefer.”

 

The next two days are filled with Jihyo learning about her father and the family she just discovered. It was good that she was given a choice, and she chose to make her father her representative for her business. It felt weird to think of herself as a millionaire, and she had absolutely no idea of how to do anything and opted to learn slowly, in the shadows, before stepping up as the Gok heir. She was asked if she wanted to change her legal name, to which she agreed, but asked for some time to talk to the commissioner about keeping her police identification as officer Park, it would avoid people prodding into her private life. 

 

Mr Ko said he could handle all of that, and inquired if Jihyo wanted to keep living as she was, and she said she would make frequent visits, but she really liked being an officer and wanted to keep trying for a little longer. It was no problem, Jiyoo also asked if his daughter wanted something, Jihyo said she had been saving for a new motorcycle, the man immediately took her shopping and got her, not only a fully personalized bike, but also a new car as well, having them delivered to her apartment too. Jihyo said she liked her place for now, it was the first real apartment and she got it on her own, so she wanted to enjoy it a bit more, so getting her a new house was also put on hold.

 

She had to get back to Seoul, however. And Jihyo really wanted to have sunday to prepare to get back to work on monday. Mr Ko said he would drop by her house after he talked with the commissioner about keeping her tag, meanwhile, he would take care of everything, as it was his job. One thing Jihyo wasn’t given a choice on was how she would be going back to Seoul, her father demanded she was going to fly back and purchased her a first class seat (a compromise from sending her on the family plane). Jihyo was also told to expect a new credit card and told she would be going shopping with her ‘new’ parents for a better wardrobe.

 

It was nice, but on wednesday, a face Jihyo hoped she would never see again was causing a ruckus at the reception of the precinct. There was also a man with her mother, she figured it was her mother’s husband, but she never really met the man. They were screaming about some money they were supposedly owed, and calling her name out as if that would make her appear. Jihyo had been out on an errand and took the garage entrance, it gave access directly to the inside area, not having to go through the reception at all. Her boss called her inside the moment she stepped inside.

 

“Park, my office.” Was all the man said.

 

“Chief.” Jihyo greets, as she enters the office and closes the door.

 

“Who are these people?”

 

“People I hoped I would never see again, sir.”

 

“I’m gonna need a bit more, kid.” One thing about the chief, he was a very kind but strict man.

 

“The woman is my mother, the man I believe is her husband. You know how I grew up on my own, last time I saw the woman was in my second year of middle school.”

 

“And why would they be here after so long?”

 

“You know how my grandfather died and I got some money?” Jihyo gets a nod and continues. “I learned that I’m not this man’s daughter, the grandfather who passed was from my real father’s family. That woman probably heard about it and came to try and get something.”

 

“You know that this is cause for arrest, right?”

 

“Please, put them behind bars for as long as possible. Whoever abandons their child like she did to me deserves nothing less. But there wasn’t much I could do back then. Now, I’ll call my father’s lawyer and have him handle them, preferably with a restraining order.”

 

“This father of yours seems to have money.”

 

“A bit, but this lawyer is handling this inheritance money thing and told me to call whenever I needed. Just have a unit get those two to the right precinct and they will be handled accordingly.”

 

“I like you because you are honest, Park. You know that?!”

 

“I try my best to be, sir.”

 

“Are you telling me why Myoui and Im are keeping tabs on you, then?” The man looks at her over his glasses.

 

Jihyo sighs, asks for the couple at the reception to be removed first, confirms with her chief that he had the time to hear her out, and proceeds to explain, with as few words and as simply as she can, about her relation with Im Nayeon and Myoui Mina. Relation being used very loosely, as she really didn’t feel any connection with either woman at all. The chief understood better, but said nothing about his own conclusions, he would keep tabs on this lonely woman that has been so mistreated already, but would be sure to do it without raising suspicion. Indeed, mr Ko handled it, now the Park couple was legally forbidden from getting within five hundred meters of Jihyo, else they’ll be arrested on sight.