25

I just wanna go home

 

 

Now the whole thing with Chungha was still lurking, Jihyo knew it, Mina and Nayeon knew it, everyone knew it, but they had to wait for the other side to make their move. They had been too quiet ever since Jihyo was shot, their real target was Jihyo herself, she was getting too close and the big guys in the organization knew it was just a matter of time until the detective could prove who they were and what they were doing and needed her out as soon as possible. But the idiot had aimed at the prime minister’s general direction and got locked up by national security immediately.

 

Jihyo was safe for the time being, Sunmi wasn’t a problem, just a tool to get to the detective and, therefore, not even thought for the ones trying to keep their secrets secret. Secretary Kim, Commissary Choi and Prime Minister Kwon knew that, from the investigation they had been conducting under wraps, Jihyo would still be in danger as long as she remained in Korea, but they couldn’t just make her disappear this soon. With this, a new plan started to hatch, a plan our favorite grump would agree to easily, though not because of the threat on her life. But this is for a bit later.

 

Right now, Jihyo is smiling like an idiot because her doctor has just told her she can get back to work, as long as she keeps to desk work or consulting for another detective. She had been itching to go back to work and actually end this thing. Sunmi was in a bad mood from the moment she heard the news, she had been hoping her wife would be forced to rest for a while longer. Dahyun merely sent laughing until crying emojis to their group chat when she read the news.

 

“You don’t have to look that pissed about me being allowed back to work.” Jihyo says lightheartedly. “Plus, I’ve been diligently following doctor’s orders and resting for three months now.”

 

“But you should be resting more!”

 

“I feel utterly useless just laying around the house. Plus, we both know things didn’t just end with Chungha shooting me, she hasn’t said a single useful thing since that day.”

 

“And you were just told you can’t do more than consult!” Sunmi gets slightly annoyed.

 

“I’m not going to do anything, Yugyeom is the detective in charge now. Plus, she is probably giving them a lot, they are just not seeing it.”

 

“I thought you were training new kids?”

 

“I am, but there are some things they aren’t that good at spotting yet. I just intend to watch her questioning tapes and point out what everyone has been missing.”

 

“And here I thought you were all humble and whatnot.” The older woman jokes a bit.

 

“Oh, there’s no need to be humble about this, it was hard to develop it and despite requiring some born skill, this was something I worked hard on.”

 

“I do believe that ‘you gotta be humble about your achievements’ talk is for those who have nothing to show for.” Sunmi laughed.

 

“Usually it is the people who can’t do whatever they are accusing you of bragging about.” Jihyo agreed.

 

They keep talking all the way home, both agreeing on talking to Dahyun and asking if they could work out a schedule to take Jihyo to work until she can drive again. Mostly, it would be Dahyun, if she agreed, as Sunmi normally leaves the house either too early or too late. Then again, Jihyo is certain Nayeon would be more than ready to swing by everyday to pick her up if that meant Jihyo would talk to her. That was an option that will be kept for when neither could take her.

 

Jihyo was right, she knew that the moment she stepped into the room Yugyeom and his juniors were working in the investigation. They made good progress, but at a single glance over everything told her there were a couple things they were missing. She knew it wasn’t their fault, most were things that she noticed because she’d known Chungha personally and picked those up quickly. She waited for someone to arrive, probably Yugyeom, before touching anything, it was normal for detectives to have their own way of placing things, and Jihyo had been away for long enough that her juniors had already developed their own system.

 

“Oh!” Indeed, Yugyeom was the first to arrive. “I didn’t know you’d be here today, sunbae.”

 

“Well, the doctor said I could do desk work and consult, and the chiefs agreed that I could come in and consult, as long as I don’t really move around too much.” Jihyo shrugged. 

 

“Would you like me to walk you through what we have?”

 

"Yeah, but let’s wait for your kids to show up first. I’m sure they can learn a lot.”

 

“Alright.” The younger detective agreed easily.

 

“But now, let’s go and get some breakfast. Might as well make use of the extra budget I got.”

 

“Can’t say no to that, can I?”

 

They laugh and head out. As the higher ups knew there were big names eyeing Jihyo after the attack, they gave her a corporate card and made it clear that she should keep herself well fed and not exert herself too much. After getting up to date with everything, Jihyo points out a few things that her juniors have missed, then asks them to prepare a tv so they could watch the interrogations and she could see if there was something there that would give them more. It’s a productive day, but Mina sent Jihyo home around four and wasn’t hearing anything about it, Nayeon agreed and the detective couldn’t do much about it.

 

Dahyun’s divorce process started soon, obviously Jeongyeon wasn’t going to agree with any of that, so they would have to go through the long process. Jihyo asked mr Ko for anyone he would advise for the process and he called his colleague himself and drove them to the first meeting. It would be a bit expensive, but Jihyo insisted on paying for her friend and Dahyun could pay her back later, in easy installments. Mr Song was very nice, he welcomed them and explained as well as he could how everything should progress. It would be a long process, but the man assured them it would be fine in the end. 

 

“So, how about I take you out to dinner and we can call Sunmi and tell her to join us?” Jihyo suggests as they step out of the office.

 

“I’d like that.” Dahyun smiles a little.

 

“It will be alright, you know. Sunmi and I will have your back the entire time.”

 

“Oh, I have no doubts. The thing is, I don’t know how the girls will take it. Especially since I’ll let mr Song handle everything.”

“Like I said, Sunmi and I will have your back. Don’t stress about anything.”

 

With that, Jihyo focuses on putting the address so her friend could drive them there and then messaging Sunmi to meet them later, the older woman answered she would be a bit late but they would definitely eat to their hearts’ content and talk about how things should go with the divorce. It was nice, Dahyun may have eaten a bit more than she should have, and was too sleepy to drive them back home. Sunmi was a little down because she wouldn’t be able to drink but Jihyo was still not allowed to drive and she would have to.

 

The next day, Dahyun overslept and had to rush out, Sunmi had already left and Jihyo didn’t have anyone to take her to work. She called Yugyeom, but he said he was following a lead on the other side of town, so a cab it was. Now, why would taking a cab be a problem? Im Nayeon. The chief had been overjoyed that they were talking well and happened to be arriving at the same time Jihyo was getting out of her cab. 

 

“Look, I didn’t have a way to get here so I took a cab. Now you can stop looking like that.” Jihyo blurted out the moment she was within earshot.

 

Nayeon said nothing, still looking betrayed, spun on her heel and headed inside. Jihyo sighed, she knew this was far from over. Indeed, the moment she finished putting her bag down on her desk, Nayeon put her head out the office door and simply blurted ‘Park, inside’. Jihyo didn’t have another choice, chief Im was the precinct’s sweetheart, where chief Myoui was everyone’s crush, Nayeon was friendly and outgoing, for her to look (what most would call) angry, something serious must be going on.

 

“Close the door.” Nayeon said as the detective arrived.

 

“Good morning, chief Im, chief Myoui.” Jihyo greeted, already tired.

 

“What’s going on?” Mina was, if anything, amused.

 

“Well, detective Park here ditched me to come by taxi.” Chief Im explained.

 

“Oh no! Not a grown woman, an officer of the law, at that, taking public transportation to arrive at her job!” 

 

“Mina, shut up.” Nayeon wasn’t happy about the response.

 

“Look, Sunmi leaves too early and Hyunnie was late today. I just did the logical thing and took a cab. It’s not like I would have you drive across town to pick me up when we both know you’d be on your way here.” Jihyo slumped in the chair.

 

“I thought we were good!” Nayeon whined.

 

“We are, kinda, but I’m not making you drive across town, then halfway back just to give me a lift.”

 

“Makes sense to me.” Mina shrugged.

 

“Also, I need to talk to all of you.” Jihyo interjected before Nayeon could speak. “Can you guys gather everyone except for Jeong?”

 

“Is this about her and Dahyun?” Nayeon asks.

 

“Yeah, and I want to talk to you all as soon as possible.” Jihyo confirms. “Just gather everyone and give me time and space coordinates.”

 

“Fancy way of saying just make it happen and I’ll show up.” Mina chuckled.

 

“Well, Dahyun is staying at my place, as everyone knows, and I really don’t need her listening to what I have to say.”

 

“Oh, you’re finally telling us exactly what you think of Jeong, then?”

 

“Yes, Nayeon. But I also want to talk about something else and I don’t want either of them suspecting I’m doing this.”

 

“Then maybe you shouldn’t do this at all?” The younger chief suggests.

 

“Maybe, but you know, I’m her friend and will stand up for her no matter what.”

 

“Alright, how bout tonight?” Nayeon says while looking at her phone.

 

“That can work.”

 

“Great, I just talked to Chaeng and she said we can do it at our place. Now I’m making a group without those two and coordinating with everyone.”

 

“Great. Let me call Sunmi.” Jihyo pulls out her phone and messages her wife, asking if it was alright to call, dialing as soon as she gets the okay.

 

“Hey there, y. Are you going to tell me what underwear you are wearing?” Sunmi’s voice comes through the speaker.

 

“Hello, beautiful.” Jihyo answers timidly, the other two are very amused. “I’m here with Nayeon and Mina and I wanted to talk to you about something.”

 

“I’m on speaker, aren’t I?!”

 

“Sure are. And it’s the purple and black lace one you got me last week.” Jihyo says, just to see the others’ faces.

 

“Ooooh, send me a pic?”

 

“Sunmi, focus. I want to talk to all of them about what is going on, and whatnot. So, I’ll need you to keep Hyunnie company tonight.”

 

“Fine, but I want that pic. I’m sure you can close the curtains in their office or something.” Sunmi says easily.

 

“That she can!” Nayeon interjects happily. “And I can even take the picture for her!”

 

“See, Nayeon will help. Now send me that picture and tell me later when you know how long you’ll be out.”

 

“I’ll see what I can do.” Jihyo says and quickly hangs up.

 

“You two could have kept talking, you know.” Mina tries really hard not to laugh.

 

Nayeon doesn’t have that much self control and just bursts out laughing. Jihyo gives them that, it’s good that her and Sunmi talk like that to each other, it makes for a more believable marriage, they are supposed to keep selling the happy couple idea after all. Mina giggles quietly for a while and the detective waits patiently for them to be done.

 

“Oh, that was a good laugh.” Nayeon sighs as she wipes a tear away. “Now, let’s take that picture and you can get back to whatever it is you are doing.”

 

“I’m not getting in front of you!” Jihyo exclaimed.

 

“C’mon Jih, your wife asked for it.” The eldest is already closing the curtains.

 

Mina also gets up and helps, going as far as locking the office door. Jihyo knows she doesn’t have much choice here, so she relents when Nayeon reaches for her sling and gets to her underwear, which was indeed the one she mentioned, the only lie there was that Sunmi wasn’t the one who got it for her. They spent about ten minutes taking various pictures, in different positions, including but not exclusive to Nayeon’s desk and chair. Both chiefs also took a few for themselves, for science, and Jihyo just shook her head when she saw their phones out.

 

To say Sunmi was very pleasantly surprised when said pictures arrived would be an understatement. She knew Jihyo was hot, but this whole pictorial she got was enough to keep her ‘entertained’ for the foreseeable future. Mina and Nayeon, well, they talked to their wifes after the detective left and said wifes said they should look at the pictures together later, after the conversation thingy. Confusing, certainly, but everyone in the group agreed that Jihyo was attractive, it wasn’t about the physical part, one would say this was a bit messed up, and one would be kind of right, but hey their wifes wanted it too.

 

Regardless, Jihyo headed out with Nayeon, at the end of the day. Mina said she would pick up Tzuyu and head there. Sana had also messaged and said Momo would pick her up and they would be on the way soon. Chaeyoung was happy to have Jihyo over, if anything, it was the first time the woman was meeting up with them voluntarily. The group would take what they could get, even when it was clear that she was only doing it for Dahyun. They’ll take it.

 

"Alright." Jihyo begins. “Before anything, if those pictures leak, I’ll bring all yall down.”

 

“What pictures?” Sana asked.

 

“I’ll tell you later.” Mina is quick to dismiss.

 

“Now, whatever I’ll say today will not reach Jeongyeon’s ears, am I clear?”

 

“Yes ma’am.” Momo promptly confirms.

 

“Good, so Dahyun is filing for divorce.” Jihyo reveals.

 

There is a series of responses, Jihyo waits for them to get it out of their systems. It was a bit surprising for them, she figures, Jeongyeon has been an all their lives, why now. But Jihyo knew, better than anyone there, that now was when things blew up. It wasn’t the one thing Jeongyeon did, it was the amalgamation of all the problems they had as a couple coming to a breaking point. There were too many things for her to enumerate, but our lovely grump knew of each and every one of those things, she had been the one to support Dahyun through all her troubling times, and the one to lend an ear when the teacher needed to get it all out.

 

“Are you all done now?” Jihyo asks after a while.

 

There are confirmations from all the women and the detective continues.

 

“Good. I’m telling you all because we know that Jeongyeon will flip when she gets the notice and she will definitely try to spin her own narrative.” She takes a steadying breath. “I don’t want any of you going after Dahyun about this.

 

“We get that you both are best friends, but what’s the real goal here?” Tzuyu, the always wiser one, asks.

 

“The real goal here is for none of you to come for Dahyun and try to get her to give up on this.” Jihyo clarifies. “Look, I know you will want to interfere, but Dahyun has thought this through and she wants the divorce. I know she is staying with me and hasn’t given you her side of things yet, but I’m just asking you guys to not try and get her to just give it up.”

 

“What are you not telling us?” Mina wondered aloud.

 

“I’m not telling you what’s not mine to tell. Dahyun will talk to you all on her own time, but I’m here to prevent her being bombarded with demands for her to just get over it and go back to her wife. I know that I haven’t talked to Jeong and gotten her side on things, but you all know I’m not her biggest fan, and I know everything Dahyun has gone through.”

 

“Fair enough. We promise we’ll just watch and wait for Hyun to come to us.” Sana agrees, her tone definitive enough.

 

“Thank you. That’s all I can ask.” Jihyo sounds relieved. “I’ll be on my way now.”

 

“And how do you intend to be on your way?” Nayeon gets to her feet, hands on her hips.

 

“By cab? Honestly, unnie I-”

 

“You will be a good girl and get into unnie’s car.” 

 

The detective is about to complain, but the pleading look Chaeyoung gives her is enough for Jihyo to allow herself to be taken home by the chief. The way back was filled with Nayeon asking about Jihyo, how she had been, what was going on with the investigation, how were the wounds, anything and everything the chief could think about the younger’s life. Jihyo didn’t mind, Nayeon was making the effort and that was honestly all she could ask for at this point.