21

I just wanna go home

 

 

Getting home from the planned fiasco, the couple found Dahyun lounging on Jihyo’s living room couch. It was odd, she looked bothered about something but made sure to put on a happy face the moment she saw them entering. It was also clear she was distracted, as she only noticed them when they entered her field of vision. Jihyo was obviously worried, this wasn’t something her best friend did, not the gloomy atmosphere and not the absentmindness. Sunmi also caught on that something was off but decided to leave the two to handle it.

 

Jihyo asked if thai was alright and took their mumbling as a yes. Dinner was a bit tense, they talked about nothing specific and Sunmi excused herself shortly after, under the excuse of calling her parents. Jihyo said she would be sleeping with Dahyun in the guest room so they could talk and left after a quick hug and a kiss to her wife’s forehead. The younger korean was sitting on her bed looking very out of it, so the detective immediately knew there was something very serious happening.

 

“Alright, speak.” Jihyo prompted as she sat against the headboard.

 

“I think I might have to divorce Jeong.” Dahyun blurts out, finally looking as tired as she was. 

 

“You what now? What happened this time that was so grave?”

 

“It’s just the piling up of everything.” The teacher sighed and cuddled against her friend. “I’m just tired. And she’s back to her ‘I know better about your life than you’ thing she loves doing.”

 

“Well, I’ll be behind you every step of the way. And you are living here now.” Jihyo asures.

 

“Thanks, you are the best friend I could ever hope for.”

 

“I’m not doing anything you wouldn’t do for me. Now, tell me about this.”

 

Dahyun took a deep breath and did just that, she had been feeling like Jeongyeon had become more and more controlling. They always had problems but she was at her wits end, she felt as if she was always the one giving up on things and trying to make things work. She wanted some time away to find herself again and rethink where she really stood in life. Some much needed soul searching she honestly thought was about time to happen.

 

Jihyo was more than happy to let her friend stay, Sunmi was also very enthusiastic about it all. She liked Dahyun a lot and saw how she looked distressed, but mainly sad when they got home that evening. It was easy to fall into routine with the new roommate, Jihyo and Suni had helped Dahyun to move out of her place with Jeongyeon shortly after she showed up at their place. Mostly, they left her boxes in the garage until the younger woman figured herself out. It was clear that Nayeon and mina had been itching to ask about it. The entire group knew if Dahyun had disappeared anywhere, it would be Jihyo’s house.

 

“Park, office.” Nayeon called one afternoon.

 

“Close the door behind you, please.” Mina asked when the detective entered.

 

“Yes, Dahyun is staying at my place.” Jihyo sighed as she sat down. “No, I will not be allowing any of you to visit, you want to talk to her, have her go and meet you.” She continued before the two could get a word in. “And no, I will not be considering Yoo Jeongyeon at all in any of this. I have all the right to simply pretend she doesn’t exist and I will never not side with Dahyun whenever their relationship is in question as I know first hand what that brat is capable of.”

 

“Oh, alright. This is more than I hoped to get out of you.” Nayeon is slightly stunned.

 

“I figured you all would be itching to get anything on this.” Jihyo shrugs. “Plus, it’s not like you guys can really reach her right now anyway.”

 

“That, and you have also been avoiding us all for quite some time now.” Mina chimes in. “Since your wedding, if I’m not mistaken. I get that you and Sunmi must still be in the honeymoon phase, but you’ve kept up with Hyun fine.”

 

“As you all know, Dahyun is my best friend, a position she will never be removed from and she is also the one person who really respects me.”

 

“We are sorry, alright!” The older korean groans. “I know we weren’t the best, but we do care for you! When will you believe that?”

 

“Maybe when you actually start proving it? I mean, none of you have the best track record. Chaeyoung is the most tolerable among you all, but still…”

 

“I thought we were good?” Nayeon raises an eyebrow.

 

“Oh, we are better than before, but still not quite there yet.” Jihyo smirks.

 

“I’ll take it.” The older chief shrugs.

 

“Also, what was that the press released about and Sunmi being madly in love? I didn’t even know you both still had that teenage energy within you.”

 

“Well, chief Myoui, we are a married couple after all. And we were spied on, I don’t know what to tell you. That Chungha kid bugged the entire apartment and it’s not like we could have known.” Jihyo offers as vaguely but convincingly as possible. “I also wouldn’t like my married life to be broadcasted like that, you know.”

 

“It was kind of cute, really.” Nayeon teases.

 

“And I didn’t know you were so cute within a relationship.” Mina leans back on her chair.

 

“It’s not like I had any relationship to begin with, if you forgot.” Jihyo throws, just for the sake of it. “Had I been in a relationship before, maybe yall would know something about how I am within the confines of one.”

 

“Low blow, but I can’t be against it.” Nayeon grumbles.

 

“Very low blow, but it’s not like we can say anything about that.” Mina agrees.

 

“I know, it was meant to be low. I don’t really feel like holding back anymore, been too nice for too long already.”

 

“Fine, I’ll try and convince Hyun to come to dinner with us.” 

 

“You do that, chief Myoui. As for me, I have to head out to give my statements on that footage everyone seems to have watched.”

 

With that, Jihyo leaves the office. She really didn’t have to do anything about the videos of herself and her wife, they were meant to be seen by everyone. But the detective wanted the conversation to end and she might as well give Secretary Kim a call and ask how things were going. She knew Chungha was planning something soon, most likely at Sunmi’s next public event. The politician was supposed to be meeting the prime minister in a dinner at the Blue House, they would do a press conference before that and Commissary Choi figured it would be the chance for a huge comotion to be caused.

 

Said dinner approached fast, Dahyun had been excited about it, saying she loved the couple, but she wanted a few hours without them in the house. Obviously, her argument was debunked with the fact that neither Jihyo nor Sunmi were early to arrive home, and Dahyun was done with work mid afternoon. Regardless, Sunmi was in a modest dress, reaching down to just above her knees and with a sweetheart neckline, Jihyo went with her formal uniform. It was an official event and she was a known cop, plus, Sunmi loved it when she showed off her medals, leaving the more snobbish security forces officials to twist their noses because they couldn’t really diminish her for being in the police force and not among their ranks. Yeah, our girl was decorated like that.

 

Everything happened very fast, Sunmi was shaking hands with the prime minister as he finished his speech and introduced her. Jihyo had stood up with her wife, mostly to wish her good luck for the cameras, when they heard screams. It seemed Chungha had slipped through security, it was planned but nobody except Jihyo and her support squad knew that, and headed straight to where they stood. The young woman held out a gun, pointing directly at Sunmi, screaming about betrayal and deceit. Jihyo had been wearing a bulletproof vest, but it was secluded so her shoulders were completely open, and there was exactly where the shot hit.

 

One might ask why she was hit at all if they knew about the attack. That was because she needed to take the hit for everything that would come after to be believable. Sure, they gambled and she could have been hit in the head, but she was ready for that too. Jihyo, in her brilliant adaptability, had made sure her cap was resistant enough to take a single shot and not get her killed. She did a good enough job in such a short time, it was reavy as hell, but she managed to pull it down in front of her face the moment she saw Chungha prepare to shoot. Security was precisely delayed for the raging woman to fire just one time before they restrained her. Sunmi was desperate, her wife just took a shot and was bleeding profusely in front of her. 

 

Sure, Jihyo was an officer and that was part of her job. It wasn’t even her first time being shot, but it still hurt like a . She was in a lot of pain, but managed to look at the Prime Minister, who mouthed ‘great job’ to her before Sunmi blocked her view and she was being surrounded by security. After that, it was all pretty standard for an attempt against a high political figure. Chungha was detained, Jihyo was taken to the hospital, and the event was adjourned.

 

Sunmi chose to drive there, opting to drop by the house and take a quick shower, she was covered in blood. Dahyun was lounging on the couch, but shot up when she saw how the older woman was. Sunmi quickly explained that Jihyo had been shot and she came by to clean up, get some clothes for when her wife was out of surgery and get Dahyun for moral support. The younger woman hurried to change and send their friend group a message about the incident, promising to tell them more when she got more information. Sunmi was quick, she entered the shower before it could warm up and removed the blood, her dress didn’t matter so it lay where she discarded it on the floor.

 

They arrived at the hospital a little over an hour after Jihyo had been admitted. Sunmi asked at the front desk and was promptly guided to where her wife was to be guided to after the surgery. Dahyun questioned if she had warned Jihyo’s parents, and that’s when she remembered them. Sunmi decided to tell her own parents as well, and both older couples arrived not long after, sitting with them in Jihyo's apartment room as they all waited for any news. Prime Minister Kwon arrived at some point as well, he said he was worried and decided to just go instead of pacing around at home.

 

Jihyo’s surgeon entered the room about four hours later, telling them the shot went through but there were no major damages. The officer would have a bit of difficulty moving her arm up to a year and a half after, give it or take, but she would make a complete recovery with persistence and physical therapy. They all asked the doctor a few more questions but were appeased knowing nothing permanent would come of this. Sunmi’s parents and the Prime minister excused themselves not long after, having been informed Jihyo would only be taken to the apartment once she woke up and had her vitals checked. 

 

Dahyun and Jihyo’s parents were the next to leave, it was getting very late, Dahyun still had work in the morning and couldn’t find a substitute this last minute. Sunmi thanked them and promised to send updates as soon as she had them. Left alone, the politician decided to try and get some sleep, the events of the day finally taking a toll on her now that she knew everything would be fine. The good part of this room was that there was a bed for whomever would be accompanying the patient. Jihyo was wheeled in at some point during the night, still under the effect of her previous sedation, and very much asleep. Sunmi would wake up that morning and, finally, realize how much her wife meant to her. She would also allow herself to cry in relief about how she wasn’t losing Jihyo and could still be a true wife to her.