16

I just wanna go home

 

 

Now, one thing Sunmi should have noticed but the haze of her new love didn’t allow her to, was that Jihyo had been showing up only when she was asked to. The detective understood she shouldn’t be hanging around anymore and, despite being her wife, Sunmi was never hers to begin with. Another thing was that Jihyo had emptied her room at the other’s house too, there was no need for her to actually have anything there anymore, she would just show up for whatever she was needed, then go straight home. Never again really spending the evening.

 

It was the morning of the candidacy announcement when Jihyo started thinking about a divorce. Sure, she would have to stick it out for a few years, but she could get out of this marriage sooner rather than later. She was asked to be there early morning so they could shoot a little montage for the day, Mina was iffy about allowing the day off, as they were still not done with that body in the sewers and press was drawing too many eyes to the case, not to mention it could be a serial killer and they really just wanted to catch whoever was behind it.

 

But, Jihyo had to show up, and Mina knew she was being considered as second chief despite having already said she had a plan for that. Now, Jihyo was getting dolled up by the stylists to show up beside her wife. Sunmi was also getting prepared for the public. The plan was that they would leave the house together, a driver would be waiting for them downstairs but Jihyo would insist on opening the door for her wife before jogging to the other side and getting in herself. Simple enough and very doable. From there on, Jihyo should just follow Sunmi’s lead and not frown at the cameras. 

 

It was all fine, if not tiring, but they pulled it off perfectly. Getting back there was some press in front of Sunmi’s building, as expected. The fact that Chungha was the campaign coordinator helped her move in and out with ease, and without raising suspicion, the entire team was in and out constantly. Jihyo, having access to the garage, started using the car her father had insisted on. It was great that it was very nondescript and also fit the area pretty well. The building had quite a few big names living there, nondescript luxury vehicles were normal there.

 

Once things started picking up, Jihyo found herself in more than a few dinners with politicians. In one particular dinner, while Sunmi was discussing whatever with some other influential people for her campaign, our detective was approached with an offer that she was very tempted with. It came from the very unsuspicious looking but unbelievably sharp presidential secretary, yes a very high rank, but it was more common for her to make contact than one would think.

 

“Detective Park.” The woman begins.

 

“Secretary Kim, it’s an honor to be known by such a person as yourself.” Jihyo bows respectfully.

 

“I could say so myself. Yours is a name that has always intrigued me.”

 

“I’m flattered, but you didn’t come to me for chit chat. I just haven’t figured out what you want from me yet.”

 

“Your reputation doesn’t do you justice, indeed.” The woman chuckled. “I’ll be blunt, then.”

 

“Please do, I’m not very fond of subtleties, they never seem to work for me.”

 

“Well, there’s a proposal for you that would guarantee your wife will get quite high in her career.”

 

“I’m wanted out of the streets and into some bureaucratic position where high profile criminals will be able to go back to doing whatever I’m making it hard for them to do and mr president will have his friends pull the strings for as long as needed.”

 

“Again, your reputation doesn’t do you justice at all.” Mrs Kim laughed. “I’m sure you already know what you want to do, but I’ll give you time to think about it. Give me a call when you want to talk, you can have your lawyers with you if needed.”

 

“Will do, mrs Kim.” Jihyo agrees, taking the card. “Now, think of something else because we are about to have company.”

 

“Secretary Kim, I see you found my wife. I hope she’s been able to entertain you.” Sunmi greets, Chungha following closely.

 

“Oh, she was lovely. I was lamenting that she is a taken woman now, I sure would love to have her for dinner.” The woman says suggestively.

 

“I’m sure we can work something out.” Jihyo waves it off. “For now, I’m sure my lovely wife would like to say something, if she came all the way here.”

 

“Indeed, I was about to call you over for the speeches. The whole ‘families stand together’ and whatnot.” Sunmi rolls her eyes playfully.

 

“I was almost forgetting about those.” Secretary Kim huffs playfully as well.

 

“At least you both wanted to be in this life, I’m here because my wife likes entertaining old men better than going on a date.” Jihyo pouts a little and both women laugh at that.

 

It worked to lift the mood and they proceeded to the speeches, all Jihyo had to do was stand beside Sunmi and look thoroughly entertained by whatever she was saying. Easy enough, Jihyo just got back to Ppuyo’s new thing, where he seemingly made an obstacle course through her living room and would spend hours running through it. The look in her face was real, but nothing in the ballroom was the cause of it, nobody needed to know that, of course. Once it ended, they got back in the car and were driven home. Jihyo played her part, went up to the apartment to get her bag and was on her way in less than ten minutes.

 

“Is something wrong?” Chungha asked when the door closed behind the detective.

 

“Nothing wrong, why?” Sunmi pecked her girlfriend and headed inside.

 

“Well, she never stayed over after she found out about us.”

 

“Yeah, she said something about couples needing their space.”

 

“But isn’t it too much when we get home this late in the evening? I mean, it’s two a.m.”

 

“I’d say it is, but that one is stubborn as a mule.” The taller woman remarks.

 

“Oh, so just like you, then!”

 

Sunmi tickles her girlfriend and they chase each other to the bedroom. They get ready for bed, but Chungha seems to be looking for something, so Sunmi naturally asks.

 

“What are you looking for?”

 

“I can’t seem to find my charger.”

 

“Maybe there’s one in Jihyo’s room. I’ll check.”

 

Sunmi gets up and heads to Jihyo’s room, it was very odd that the detective wasn’t sticking around, but she supposed it was just her feeling like the odd one out between the three of them. Alas, it was a surprise when Sunmi opened the door. The room was barren, without a single trace of anyone ever spending time there, she was certain Jihyo had made it more lived in, but right then it looked too pristine, even more untouched than before the detective had taken it. Sunmi checked everything, the drawers, the wardrobe, bathroom, it was all empty. Not a single indication Jihyo had ever been there at all.

 

Sunmi makes her way back to the bedroom very upset, she didn’t think Jihyo would feel so left out to the point of vanishing like that. Then again, she didn’t think at all about anything. Maybe it was time for her to start thinking about more than herself for a change, but for now, it was better to not let it show and slap on a happy face for Chungha. It worked, the younger woman never noticed the worry, Sunmi just said Jihyo took it with her and that was that, Chungha went to Sunmi’s office and got the one there.

 

Jihyo, on the other hand, had been thinking about what it was that Secretary Kim had to tell her. Certainly, she would discuss that with her parents before deciding on anything, but she already had an idea on what she wanted to do. Sure, Jihyo wanted to keep herself on the streets where she could do more, but she also knew there were quite a few juniors she could pass the torch to with ease, Yugyeom being the main one. Plus, there were other things she could do in higher positions that she would never be able to do where she was now.

 

“What was it that you wanted to talk to us about?” Chinsun asked as they settled down after lunch.

 

It was a saturday, Jihyo had messaged them the night before, saying she wanted to talk to them about something important.

 

“Well.” Jihyo looks around the hallway and closes the office door before speaking. “I was approached by Kim Eunsook the other day, during that dinner I had to attend with Sunmi.”

 

“Presidential secretary Kim Eunsook?” Jiyoo asks to confirm and gets a nod. “What did she want with you?”

 

“I don’t know, really. She just gave me her card and said she wanted to talk, it was for my ears only, that I’m sure of.”

 

“Well, I can talk to Sejeong and we’ll both accompany you to this talk. But we should proceed with much care with this.”

 

“That’s what I thought. But I’ll message her and ask about it, so you can tell mr Ko when to come up.” Jihyo agrees and fishes her phone out.

 

“Speaking of Sunmi, how is she?” Chinsun remembers.

 

“Well, she is dating now, so I’d say she is great?” The detective is a bit distracted with the message she was writing.

 

“She what?” Jiyoo is angered.

 

“She’s dating someone, dad.” Jihyo sighs. “It’s okay, we never really loved each other. I can’t demand she keeps herself from being with whomever she really wants to be just because we are married.”

 

“Yes you can!” Chinsun is angered too. “You two are married, she wasn’t forced into this, she wasn’t blindsided and she had all the choices when she agreed to this marriage.”

 

“Calm down, love.” Jiyoo soothes his wife. “But she’s right, Jyo. You are respecting your marriage, she should as well. It’s not like any of you got into this blind. She can’t just get a new toy and just forget she is married.”

 

“I know where you both are coming from.” Jihyo sighs. “But it’s really alright. They are being careful and it’s not like anyone will question people in and out of Sunmi’s apartment mid campaign. Plus, we got married because it would be good for both our careers, not like there was this exciting love behind it.”

 

“Tell you what, we’ll deal with whatever it is Secretary Kim wants with you first, then we’ll come back to this ‘Sunmi is dating’ issue.” Jiyoo decides, sensing his wife was about to start ranting again.

 

“Fine, I’ll tell you when she answers and we can set a meeting. I’ll just go home now, I have to sleep a bit.”

 

“Be well, little one.” Jiyoo laughed.

 

“Call if you need anything.” Chinsun is very serious.

 

“I will. See you two later.”

 

With that, Jihyo leaves. She might as well get home and sleep a bit more, it was the weekend and not like she had anything to do. Sure, Dahyun had messaged earlier asking to meet up soon, but she really just wanted to be alone that day. Since the dinner she had attended where Secretary Kim approached her, Jihyo had been taking overtime to finish her cases sooner. Chungha had sent her the schedule, and there were a lot of public appearances. Getting home, it was still early, and she was a bit frustrated lately, Jihyo decided she wanted some company for the evening.

 

It was normal for her to hire someone for the evening, usually when it had been a while since she last satisfied her body needs. Sure, she could have taken Sunmi’s proposal, but that would complicate things between them, feelings could get in the way and Jihyo didn’t want things to get complicated. Also, when she hired the service, she was sure she could ask for whatever she wanted and, with a swipe of her card, the person would satisfy her and be gone before the bed got wram. One would say it was lonely or empty, but that was what Jihyo was used to, and if you never had anything else, what were you supposed to be missing, right?!

 

So Jihyo called for her boy of the evening, asked them about the plates of the vehicle they would be arriving with to warn the front desk and was off to shower. Sure, she was paying for it, but she liked to think she did her part for it to be pleasurable for the other party too. She did, and all those she had ever hired always had great things to say about her, she was one of the favorite clients in the agency, not that she knew it. When the guy arrived, Jihyo was surprised, she asked for someone who would fulfill her needs for the evening, but never imagined this manly man would be into that.

 

“I do tend to have that effect on those who ask for what you did.” The man laughed.

 

“I’m sorry, you are just more manly than I expected.” Jihyo shakes her head. “I’m Jihyo, please come in.”

 

“Daniel. I’m here to make your wishes come true.” He whispered in her ear, then pecked her lips and slithered in.

 

Jihyo looked outside, seeing the bodyguard they usually sent along, she walked to the guy and handed him the code for her front door. It wasn’t required, but she preferred that to the man breaking her door down if needed. Now, back inside, she saw Daniel had made himself comfortable on her couch, they did need to settle payment before anything. He smiled brightly when she entered, it made Jihyo feel a bit better about herself.

 

“Aren’t you a sight. Your reputation doesn’t give you justice, mrs Park.” His smile gets brighter.

 

“I do tend to try my best. Now, shall I pay you so we can talk rules and have fun?” Jihyo smiles back and waves her card.

 

They settle everything pretty quickly, and Jihyo guides the man to her bedroom, among the many adaptations she had done to the house, her bedroom was the place with the most. Her heavy wooden bedframe and the hoops attached to them weren’t just for aesthetics. She took her time, Daniel beding under her hands and coming undone over and over again. But their time was limited, and Jihyo had him spent, more than she predicted. She sends the man to shower while she cleans the room, she still needs to apply some calming balm to his skin before sending him out.

 

The surprising part came when they were heading to the door. Sunmi had arrived at some point and was sitting in the living room. Daniel clearly recognised the woman, but said nothing, the agency always keeps tabs on their clients, and Jihyo’s wedding was a known, public fact. Plus, they specialized in high profile clients, and Jihyo had been one from the start, being the detective Park and all. Jihyo guides the man to the door with a nod to her wife, giving him a hug and a quick kiss, with the promise of a next time, before he enters the car and the bodyguard drives off.

 

“I didn’t expect you to be here today.” Jihyo says as she sits on the armchair. “Thought you would spend the night relaxing with Chungha.”

 

“Well, I didn’t think you’d have company.” Sunmi sighs, a bit bitterly. “I came because we need to talk about a few things and it has been bothering me for a while.”

 

“Alright, do you want something? Tea, soda, alcohol?" The younger woman offers.

 

“Maybe later, let's talk a bit first. You had some nice company.”

 

“Oh, yeah. His agency is the best with their services.”

 

“Agency?” Sunmi raises an eyebrow. “You mean he is-”

 

“Hired company, yes.” Jihyo cuts in, she didn’t like the word the other was about to use. “I’ve been a client of his agency for a while now. But your background check on me told you that.”

 

“It did, I just thought you had someone.”

 

“Did the bodyguard outside tell you nothing?”

 

“Didn’t notice it. But I digress. I came here because your room is empty.”

 

Jihyo chuckles, she knew this conversation would come up at some point. “Well, there’s no point for that room to stay as it was anymore, is there?!”

 

“You are always welcome in my house, Jihyo. You are my wife.” Sunmi huffs. “I know we aren’t in the best place right now, but that is your home too.”

 

“We both know it’s not, dear. And it’s alright that it isn’t, I know we both got into this for our careers, mostly. I can’t hold against you that you found someone, as much as you can’t hold against me that I hire someone when I’m lonely either.”

 

“I really don’t mind you getting company, you know. it’s not like all those times you got sold out by your bosses for more funding didn’t reach my ears. I’m happy that you, at least, chose it this time.” The older woman is sincere, but she still doesn’t feel right.

 

“Sometimes I need to satisfy myself too.” Jihyo says softly. “But back to the topic.”

 

“Right. I still say that we could have done it together, though. But I get that feelings might have been involved and things would have gotten bad. Now, back to why you disappeared without trace. The room doesn’t even smell like you anymore.”

 

“Well, it’s been weeks since I stopped staying over. It would  have been weird if it still did. Plus, like I said, you two are a couple, you need your own space and alone time.”

 

“I shouldn’t even be with her! What are you talking about!” Sunmi gets angry, mostly about the whole situation and herself.

 

“Sunmi, we talked about this marriage. What’s changed since then?”

 

“Mostly, I started thinking I should really be your wife, you know?! I’ve been thinking that for a while now.”

 

“I thought you were happy with a girlfriend and all?” Jihyo honestly doesn’t understand the problem.

 

“I like Chungha, don’t get me wrong. But it bothers me that I’m not being a good wife. I know you don’t mind me finding someone, but it really bothers me that I can’t seem to do right by you.”

 

“Well, that is something you’d have to fix within yourself, but do know I really don’t mind you and Chungha, even if it’s just a campaign fling. At least, you have someone you truly love, even if just for now.” Jihyo assured, she still couldn’t fault her wife for finding someone else.

 

Sunmi huffs and buries her face in her hands. It was frustrating her to no end, she wanted to be a good wife, she wanted to love Jihyo the proper way, she wanted their marriage to be real. But she still couldn’t seem to make it happen. She knew this girlfriend of hers was temporary, as most were, Chungha was great, but both knew they would go their own way after the campaign, there was no point fooling themselves with that. The problem here was that, even though she made the decision, she couldn’t help herself and make herself want her wife. This was ed up, and it bothered the older woman ever since she started reflecting about it all.

 

Jihyo knew where this whole thing came from. That first dinner, Sunmi saw all her peers happy in their marriage, all loving their spouses like they should, despite everything that went on behind the scenes. It must have bothered her that she was in a relationship like theirs, but there wasn’t much Jihyo could really do about that. They were good friends, but Sunmi couldn’t love Jihyo like a wife should and it was a serious problem for her. That, and they couldn’t really get divorced, both needing this marriage to last as long as possible for other reasons.

 

“Sunmi, look at me, please.” Jihyo decided to speak up.

 

“Don’t, Jihyo. I know you are about to comfort me about this whole ‘friends’ marriage’ thing, but I really don’t need that now. I’m trying here, I really am.”

 

“I know you are. And I see how you and Chungha look at each other, you both like one another enough to make it work post elections. I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t do anything, I’m just saying it’s alright and you don’t need to punish yourself like this at all.”

 

Sunmi cries then. Jihyo knew the woman was about to, she just sat beside her and hugged the older woman for as long as needed. There really wasn’t much the detective could do about that, so she let the older woman cry it out. It must be hard for Sunmi, her brain deciding one thing, but her heart wanting something else entirely. They had gone over everything during their engagement, Jihyo gave Sunmi many outs before they actually got together, Chinsun was right when she said Sunmi entered this marriage knowing everything and made her choice, but Jihyo still thought she shouldn’t stop her wife from embracing love if it came to her.

 

They stayed like that for a while, then Jihyo silently guided Sunmi to shower, handing over some pajamas the older woman had left there. Then they laid down and neither could really sleep, one still mulling over everything, the other, wondering if this whole façade relationship was really something that they should have gotten into. Alas, Jihyo still thought it was worth not having everyone else trying to meddle in her love life anymore, Sunmi really liked her wife, but couldn’t bring herself to really look at her the way she was supposed to.