13

I just wanna go home

 

 

On the day of the celebration, Sunmi asked to be picked up in the motorcycle. She wanted to dress up a bit and it was also something Jihyo liked. Both had arrived looking dashing in their leather jackets and jeans, Sunmi might have drooled a bit when she saw her fiance arrive in her black helmet and all, but that’s beside the point. They were fashionably late, not by a lot, but fifteen minutes ensured Tzuyu would be done with the first round of greetings and they wouldn’t have to hang around while waiting for their turn. As usual, Jihyo guided them to the bar, ordering her usual mocktail, Sunmi raised an eyebrow but remembered her saying she never liked drinking at all. 

 

The couple drew stares as they passed, it was expected, both were fairly known, beautiful women, a relationship between them hadn’t been announced yet, but them being together was clear. Coincidentally, they were matching without having coordinated. Sunmi was happy to be able to go out and just enjoy, it had been too long since she was last able to just go out and have fun. Jihyo, in turn, was happy to have someone with her. This time there would be no forced meeting someone’s friend that wasn’t into her, no hearing about how she was just a bitter and lonely woman. This time, she was with her fiance, someone who would have her back no matter what.

 

“Jyo!” Dahyun greeted when she saw her friend arrive.

 

“Hyun! Hey.” The detective hugs her friend. “Dahyunnie, this is Sunmi, Miya, this is Dahyun.”

 

Jihyo had told both about each other, and Sunmi was excited to meet the best friend. They greeted each other with an awkward hug, but it was alright. Jihyo moves to greet the rest.

 

“Tzuyu, happy birthday.” The smaller woman wishes, giving her a hug. “This is Sunmi.”

 

“Thanks, Ji.” Tzuyu smiles. “It’s nice to meet you, Sunmi. Please make yourself comfortable, I’m afraid I can’t sit and talk to you right now.”

 

“It’s alright, birthdays aren’t exactly the best place to talk.” Sunmi laughs and waves her off.

 

“This is just a little something.” Jihyo hands over a gift card.

 

It was Sunmi’s suggestion, Jihyo had been brainstorming with her about the gift, and Sunmi said the stores in Cheongdam would grant gift cards without a limit, they would register the gifter’s credit card and then charge it when the person went to get their gift. Tzuyu was alright, and Jihyo now had enough money to do that, she knew the nurse would be sensible with the gift. The couple made their way through the others and greeted them, Jihyo was still a bit mad at some, Nayeon was happy to rub on the others’ faces she had made peace with the little grump and hugged her.

 

Sunmi just laughed, and as Chaeyoung had never been on Jihyo’s bad side, she also got a hug. Nayeon was a bit stunned when she saw Sunmi, Mina was too but Jihyo wasn’t talking to her still. They talked a little and Jihyo decided it was enough, so both moved to where Dahyun and Jeongyeon were sitting. The older woman was looking very sour, not that even her wife cared. The couple took a seat and spent a lovely time talking to Dahyun. She was very happy to talk to Sunmi and get to know the woman, even scheduling a sleepover at Jihyo’s house so they could talk more.

 

It went well, not being forced towards someone who clearly didn’t want her was a breath of fresh air. Jihyo was even considering allowing the others to know where she lived. Mostly, because Sunmi said she wanted to properly meet the group, and her fiance would do anything to make her happy. Jihyo only demanded that the others apologize properly and meant it, which was achievable, and she really didn’t expect Jeongyeon to do that, but the woman had a taste of glamor and wanted to see this mysterious new place, so she apologized. Not that the woman meant a single word, but Jihyo knew it was as good as it would get.

 

Sunmi was entertained, this was new and it was also nice to not have people up to her the entire time. She also got to know a few big names in the medical field, Tzuyu’s friends, which was also good. The meetup was scheduled for the next weekend and Jihyo decided to leave soon after, Sunmi wanted to stay a bit longer, but she saw her date was getting to her limit and agreed. It wasn’t that Jihyo was antisocial, she performed really well when Sunmi had taken her to group gatherings, it seemed to be about this specific group.

 

The day came by faster than anyone expected. Jihyo got drinks and snacks, but didn’t bother putting that much energy into it, it was Sunmi who declared they were definitely ordering a bit more because that was too little. The older woman had arrived just after lunch, saying she wanted to help Jihyo prepare and also be there when the girls started arriving. The first ones were Dahyun and Jeongyeon, the shorter one was very excited and engaged Sunmi in conversation immediately, the taller one, however, was muttering under her breath about how it was unfair that Jihyo got loaded too and this new place was just ridiculous.

 

The others arrived shortly after, all very impressed about their friend’s new residence, Mina and Nayeon even nerding out a bit about the security system. It was alright, the girls were also very surprised with Ppuyo, the last thing they had been expecting was Jihyo having a pet. Sunmi did her best to keep up with the questions, nobody was as unrelenting as Dahyun, but that was expected. It was a question from Sana that started the more serious conversation, however.

 

“Sunmi, are you really into Jihyo? Or is this just a booster for you?”

 

“Well, Sana, I don’t know what you think your relationship with Jihyo is, but the decision to get married is as much mine as it is hers.” The congresswoman gets defensive.

 

“You both behave.” Jihyo cuts in before the fight can blow up. “Sana, I know you guys think you have this weird say in my life but nobody except Dahyun has any say in whatever I do. And Hyun is very well aware of her limits and never crosses them.”

 

Sunmi grabs her fiance’s hand to get her to calm down. But Jihyo wasn’t done.

 

“Sunmi, I know you feel defensive, but there’s no need to attack anyone like this. We are getting married, you know me and I know you, and that should be enough.”

 

There is a bit of unease in the air, but Sunmi relents. She knew what Jihyo was saying, and she was right, Sunmi knew her and everything about her, she chose to go ahead with this wedding and their decisions were up to them, not anyone else. 

 

“I exceeded myself, my apologies.” The congresswoman relents.

 

“No, it’s alright. I was meddling in your relationship and that really isn’t my place.” Sana acknowledges.

 

“Good, now if you are all worried, I’ll tell you.” Jihyo continues, dissipating the tension. “Sunmi knows everything about me, she told me her real life story and I told her mine. We honestly know each other, no secrets, no hidden agenda. Yes, this wedding might boost us both, but it was a mutual decision and we are both happy with the decision.”

 

“That’s cute and all, but what do you mean boost?” Nayeon questions.

 

“Well, I don’t know how much of the rumors chief Myoui here has been hearing, but Jihyo is being quoted as commissioner. There’s still no official announcement or anything like that, it’s still just a rumor behind closed doors.”

 

“I have no idea about such rumors.” Mina shakes her head. “But do tell.”

 

“There isn’t really much to tell, it’s just conversations between politicians and the super rich. You know, the people who really run the country.” Sunmi shrugs. “She’s the favorite at this point and everyone refers to her as the owlish eyes that see everything. Mostly it’s because they want her out of action so they can get back to not being that careful with their dealings.”

 

“Oh, so the big guys want to go back to torturing and killing people who they don’t like and not be implicated anymore?” Tzuyu gets angry, she has seen more than enough of the little guy arriving at her emergency room on the brink of death.

 

“Pretty much.” Jihyo confirms. “The main reason I don’t intend to take the job when offered. And with me being married to Sunmi, they can’t really do much about it when it happens.”

 

“Well, it is a smart move if you really intend to not take the job.” Nayeon agrees. “If you are public enough, it will be near impossible to make you disappear.”

 

“That’s the plan.” Jihyo chuckles. “The wedding should happen soon. Dahyun is my maid of honor, so there’s that too.”

 

“Uhuuuulll! Maid of honor, es.” Dahyun hollers and puts on sunglasses, nobody knows where she had been keeping them.

 

“Like it’s any surprise.” Sana rolls her eyes. “And stop wearing sunglasses indoors like an idiot.”

 

“The maid of honor can do as she wishes.” Dahyun counters and keeps the glasses on.

 

Jihyo laughs and Sunmi can’t stop giggling, Kim Dahyun is such a character. This small, pale woman could make a whole career as an entertainer and eat the whole industry up with this personality of hers. They talk a bit more and the girls start leaving, Sunmi wants to talk to Dahyun more, and they exchange numbers. All in all, it was as good as it got. Once the last ones are gone, Jihyo calls reception and tells them nobody except mrs Kim was allowed in without consulting her, no matter what they claim, something she had already warned them about, but she knew the others would try and sneak in the first chance they get.

 

Sunmi helped clean up and said she would be spending the night, she wanted to talk a bit more and it was the weekend. Jihyo told her she was welcome anytime, and that she should shower first while dinner was being made. Sunmi tried to argue that she could help with cooking, but Jihyo suggested she do the dishes after and they got a deal. Things slowed down after dinner, all the havoc the girls brought with them winding down. The couple settled to watch a movie after dinner and maybe talk.

 

“You can just say it, you know.” Jihyo suggests as the movie starts.

 

“Are those girls always that invasive? Don’t get me wrong, I know Dahyun has best friend privileges, but the rest of them, they went out of line a lot today.”

 

“Oh, yeah. They tend to think they have this freedom to meddle in my life that never really existed.”

 

“Alright. It just got on my nerves a lot, and I don’t think I’ll be able to hold back from here on.”

 

“You don’t have to. Mina might be my boss, but once we are off the clock, she’s just another meddler. Do whatever you feel like.”

 

“Thanks, Ji. Also, should we start sleeping together?”

 

“Ms Lee, you are a very daring woman.”

 

“Not like that, you idiot.” Sunmi can’t help but laugh. “I mean sleep in the same bed. We are bound to get there at some point.”

 

“If you feel comfortable doing that, sure.” Jihyo shrugs. “I mean, it’s not like we are attracted to each other like that anyways. Just don’t feel like you have to do anything.”

 

“I don’t. I just think we should be getting closer, at least for appearances sake.” The older woman thinks about what she said and is quick to add to it. “It’s not that I don’t like you at all bu-”

 

“Miya, relax. I know it sounded better in your head.” 


“I tend to forget you are THE detective Park.”

 

“It’s nice that you do. But I saw it in your face that it sounded better in your head.”

 

“Fine.” Sunmi huffed. “But now I demand cuddles.”

 

Jihyo just laughs, but cuddles her fiance regardless. They really should be getting closer, even if this interest Sunmi has on her will vanish soon, they are about to get married and should, at least, look like a real couple.