Family of Three

Love, Life and everything in between (Seohyun's Oneshot stories)

This is kind of another sequel for Beautiful Disaster so I hope you enjoy another story of KhunSeo! 

 

=====================================================================

Seohyun’s eyes jolt open as she lies still on her bed. She has been having mild cramping on her lower back and her lower stomach but she figured since she was 39 weeks pregnant, the contractions might start already. But the past cramping were irregular, random, and did not hurt her one bit. This one, though, is different as it even made her wake up. She detaches herself from her husband as quietly as possible because Nichkhun and labor – she sighs – she imagines that it is not gonna be a good combination given the history of his overreaction to the slightest pain she had.

 

Once she succeeds, she grabs her phone and searches for the app which tracks the pattern of her contractions the same time that another cramp comes. She takes a deep breath then, trying to gain her composure and her heart rate steady. To move things along, as she read on her gigantic pile of books about pregnancy, she started to speed-walk around the house and have her gym ball ready.

 

Another contraction hits and she bits her lips trying to minimalize the sound as to not wake her husband just yet. Oh, I have not finished packing! She thinks to herself as she half-sprint towards the nursery. But before she reaches the room, another contraction hits and she leans onto the table nearest to her. To her horror, she accidentally knocks over an empty glass which just oh-so-conveniently happens to be there. How is another story because she is pretty sure it is her husband doing who just LOVES to leave things unattended in every freaking corner of the house.

 

She groans as the glass meets the floor, scattered and of course, makes a loud sound.

 

“Angel?” as if on cue, Nichkhun stands in their doorway, half-panting.

 

“Hi…?”

 

“What are you doing up? What’s wrong?” he asks, eyes scanning the area. “Don’t move, baby” in a flash he goes to grab a towel, just as another contraction hit her and she takes another deep breath. Her app flashes, alerting her that it is now time to go to the hospital. Her heart skips a beat, Oh God this is real, we are having our baby. We are gonna be parents. Oh, God! She starts to sob just as he comes back.

 

“Angel? What’s wrong? Are you hurt?! Why are you crying? Where does it hurt? Let me take a look!” he throws the towel on the floor and jogs towards her. She hugs him close, wanting to savor all parts of this experience. It’s not gonna be long until there are three of them. “What’s wrong baby?” he whispers, rubbing her back in comforting gesture.

 

She takes a deep breath, letting out a little groan when another contraction comes. Nichkhun stiffens, he senses something is wrong and his hand intuitively travels to her stomach. “Oh, he is coming isn’t he?” he smiles a little. “Why didn’t you wake me earlier? I would have helped you get through the pain. I am sorry” he kisses her ears and she takes in the smell of his cologne.

 

“Oppa…” she whispers, loud enough for him to hear.

 

“Yes baby?”

 

“I love you… so freaking much, you know that, right?”

 

His lips form a tiny smile as she tightens the hold on him. “Of course. And I love you so much too, I—“ words caught up in his throat as he sees her winces; his stomach churns at the sight.

 

“Then… let’s go and be a family of three” she manages a smile on her lips.

 

“Yeah, let’s go” he smiles, picking her up bridal style to their car. It’s te to go to the hospital.

 

 

They arrive at the hospital at the crack of dawn. Seohyun is quickly whisked away to the birthing suite and the nurse checked on her whilst Nichkhun keeps holding her hand.

 

“Well, she is already 4cm dilated so hopefully it’s not gonna be long, okay? Do you want to have an epidural to lessen the pain?”

 

Nichkhun was ready to say yes but to his dismay, she shakes her head. “I can manage for now” she utters, rubbing her belly.

 

“Well, if anything changes just tell me okay…? Do you want to get on the gym ball?” the nurse asks politely. She descends the bed, and again shakes her head. “Later. I want to go to the bathroom first” Nichkhun offers to her but she says she can be on her own.

 

“Can you administer the epidural without her knowing or something? She is clearly in pain!” he cries out to the nurse who looks at him dubiously.

 

“No I cannot because that will be against the law, and your wife is fine. She is really, really strong”

 

“And stubborn!” he exclaims; exasperation is clear in his voice.

 

“I am okay, I can manage” Seohyun answers from behind him, one hand is on her belly whilst the other supporting her back.

 

“As I said, stubborn” he mutters under his breath but proceeds to help her and guide her to the gym ball. She smiles up on him, caressing his cheek when he bends on his knee to keep her from falling.

 

“I am fine, Oppa” she says though through gritted teeth as another wave comes. She takes a deep breath, and exhale ever so slowly just like how she learned on birthing lesson classes.

 

“Why don’t you want to take the drugs? It will help you, please?”

 

“I promise if I cannot take the pain anymore, I am going to take it… Will that settle with you?”

 

Nichkhun sighs and put his head on hers. “God, I wish I can take the pain away” he says.

 

“Hold me, just hold me please” Seohyun says, her body trembles a bit because of the pain. She has been riding the contractions for a while now and it seems like there is no end to this. She groans, sweat begins to form on her forehead.

 

“Oh, sweetheart” Nichkhun hugs her tight, as tight as he can given the form that she is in.

 

He continues to whisper sweet nothings to her, telling Seohyun how strong she is, that she is doing well, that he is there with her no matter what and they will go through this together. But most of all, the thing he says to her most is “I love you, I love our little guy, I love you both so much.”

 

 

Seohyun has been on this for 4 hours, Nichkhun counts, and during those hours she has changed her position from rocking back and forth on the gym ball, crouches down and leaning on the gym ball, hanging on to the railing of her bed, and using Nichkhun as her support. But nothing seems to be doing its job – lessening the pain she is in. She is, if it makes sense, in an even worse pain than she was when she came in.

 

“Ughh” she squeezes the life out of Nichkhun’s fingers. “Oh God, I cannot do this anymore. I want the epidural”

 

Finally! Nichkhun thinks to himself but knows better than to blurt it aloud. God knows how much his heart wrenches at the sight of her in immense pain, sweating bullets and looking so, so pale. “Can you help her? Give the epidural?” he says to the nurse, almost pleading.

 

“Well, let’s check her again, shall we?”

 

Seohyun climbs into the bed with the help of her husband.

 

“Okay, I am sorry, but my answer is gonna be a No. She is 8cm dilated, she could be crowning anytime soon and the epidural won’t be much help to her”

 

Seohyun scoffs. “Goodness!”

 

“I know honey, I am sorry, okay. But you are doing very, very well here. Just a while longer and you will get to hug your baby… you can do this, okay?” The nurse kindly assures her.

 

The vision of her carrying her child effectively takes the pain away for a little bit before another wave comes.

 

“I feel the need to push, can I?” she manages to say with ragged breaths.

 

“Honey, I know that you feel the need to push, but don’t, okay? Not yet. If you push, it’s gonna make this a lot harder. There can be swelling on your—“

 

“Oh for God’s sake, stop scaring her” he hisses “You are wonderful, baby. You are doing very, very well. Just a little more, okay? I am sorry” he says to her ears, wiping out her tears and his heart tears a little bit more at the sight of her. He knows she is spent; she barely has energy left. He watches in horror as a gush of water comes out of her, along with trickles of blood.

 

“I think my water just broke” she says sheepishly. “Is that okay?” seohyun asks, unsure if it is fine because Nichkhun just blanched, standing still as if his world is falling on him.

 

“The blood—“ he manages to say that much. Without him realizing he is the one gripping on Seohyun’s hands so hard.

 

“Oh that is alright, that is normal. I have notified the Doctor and he is gonna be here—“

 

“Hello guys” before the nurse finishes her sentence, the doctor came in with the biggest smile on his face. “How are you doing? Let’s see if the little guy is ready to come out, okay?” He says and Nichkhun growls at his cheerfulness. Can’t he see that Seohyun in exhausted and in pain?! What’s with the greetings?! He thinks to himself as he wipes the sweat on her forehead yet again.

 

“You’re fully dilated and the little guy is ready to meet you. Miss Seo, I want you to push when the next contraction starts, okay?”

 

Seohyun nods weakly, she is starting to feel so tired, she barely hangs onto Nichkhun’s hand.

 

She starts to feel the familiar pain coming to her, and she groans.

 

“Push” and push she does, as hard as she can. “Good, good, that’s good. Stop pushing…” the doctor says. “That was good! You just need to do that several times more, alright?”

 

She shakes her head. “I cannot do this. I can’t. I am so tired and it’s so painful. I can’t” pleading, she whispers to her husband with her eyes half-closed.

 

Nichkhun takes a deep breath; the sight of her being so weak also weakens him. He is scared out of his wits.

 

Shifting his eyes to the doctor, he catches the later’s smile, encouraging him to keep her going. He takes another deep breath then, also trying to get strength himself because she needs him to. More than ever. “I know, I know, I am sorry. You are the strongest person I know; you can do this, baby. Just a little more. I love you, I love you so much” he kissed the side of her face. “When you are ready, you are gonna push again, yes angel? Then we will get to meet him”

 

“Yea… Yes…” Nichkhun nods then kisses her to tell her that he is here and they are in this together. Then when the big waves come, she pushes again, and again, and again, until the doctor announces “Here he is! Hi mommy and daddy, meet your son” he says with a grin. The couple watches in awe, as the tiny being cries his lungs out. Tears trickling down their eyes at the sight of their son, the fruit of their love; theirs.

 

“Do you want to cut the cord?” Nichkhun hears the doctor asks and he unknowingly comes closer, hands are ready to handle the scissor. When he does cut it, he feels immense pride, joy, happiness, fear and worry all at the same time. Seohyun sobs when she finally gets to hold the newest addition to the family, skin-to-skin, heart-to-heart.

 

“Oh you are so beautiful, aren’t you, young fella? Hi, sweetheart. This is Omma… Oh it’s alright, don’t cry, I am here, I will always be here” she whispers to her baby.

 

“He is perfect. Thank you, thank you so much for giving him to us” she feels a sweet, tender kiss lands on her temple combines with her husband’s tears.

 

“Thank you for withstanding that” she chuckles, referring to the hours when she was in labor; she hopes his fingers survived that.

 

“Oh I would withstand that with you over, and over again. Trust me” his grin melts her heart. “Do you want to name him?”

 

“Hmm… let’s see…” she smiles at her little boy. “Ha Joon” her voice firm. “He is Ha Joon”

 

“Ha Joon…” Nichkhun smiles, kissing the side of his son’s head whilst the little one snuggles a little bit more to his mom. His heart bursts in so much happiness he barely can stop smiling. His shoulder feels a a weight as Seohyun rests his head on it. He kisses her hair, one hand on her shoulder and another on Ha Joon’s back. He swears then, he is going to fight with everything he has to make the two most precious people in his life happy, forever.

 

And like that, they start the journey as a family of three.