Part IX - Waiting

Pulse

Joohyun sighs as she looks at her reflection in the mirror, her nose red from last nights… altercation, birds chirping outside the window as the early sun shines through. She thinks about last night, she really shouldn’t have done that. A part of her thinks that Wendy is getting to her with her mind game, stirring up her hormones. She can’t allow herself to lose control like that.

 

She hears the soft pads of Wendy’s slippers, hearing the steps coming closer to where Joohyun is. Those adorable fluffy bunny slippers.

 

“Uh…” Joohyun stammers. “I… Seungwan.” The woman doesn’t respond, she simply keeps on walking toward Joohyun with a serious look.

 

Uh oh. Looks like she really is mad at me.

 

The doctor swallows. “Goo..good morning…?” Wendy walks up until she’s an inch away from the doctor.

 

, I’m in for it now.

 

Wendy raises her hand and Joohyun instinctively closes her eyes, waiting for the slap to come. If she was being honest, she probably deserves it so she might as well let Wendy get a good one in. But instead of feeling the sting of a well deserved slap, Joohyun was surprised to feel the softness of the younger woman’s finger caressing her nose.

 

Joohyun gets cross eyed as she looks down at her nose. “Uh..”

 

“Your nose is all red.” Wendy says, her own cheeks bright red as she blushed. “I thought covering it up might do some good.” With a nod the girl turns around with a smile. “Sorry for temporarily ruining your visage. You might have to cut back on your intake of ladies for a while.” She paused at the door and turned her head back. “Oh, and… about the question from yesterday. my answer is yes- I have made out with someone before. And it just happened last night.”

 

“Oh.”

 

—---------------------------------------

 

“Um… what happened to your nose, doctor?”

 

Joohyun can feel her ears getting red at the question. Her hand unconsciously goes up to rub the hello kitty bandaid on her nose.

 

“Maybe we should get you another bandaid?”Another nurse says. “The design on that one’s really flashy.”

 

“Oh…”The doctor clears . “No, that’s okay…t-this is fine.”

 

Feelings… budding from the heart… How could this be possible?

 

—---------------------------------------


 

40 minutes away from the hospital Wendy finds herself walking through the endless hallways of the Lancaster University looking for Seulgi’s dorm room.

 

“B52-C” She mutters looking at the paper in her hand and her free hand resting in her coat’s pocket.

 

“Wendy… is that you?”

 

She turns around and smiles noticing Suho is trailing behind her, at least she has a friendly face here and hopefully one that can help her find Seulgi’s dorm.

 

“Oh, Suho!”

 

The man beams at her. “Wow, fancy seeing you here! Are you studying here too?”

 

“Yeah,” Wendy nods. “I just transferred. I have to apologize for being so rude last time. The doctor’s usually kinder than that, but I guess she must’ve had a bad day.”

 

Suho waves her off. “No need to apologize for her.” He says honestly. “Um, you seem a little lost, where do you need to go? I could take you there.”

 

“Oh.” Wendy gives him the paper. “I’m going to see my sister and yes Im a bit turn around.” She says with a chuckle. “I hope it’s not too much of a bother.”

 

The two make amicable conversation as they walk, mostly Suho asking questions while Wendy politely answered as she looked around the school hoping to memorize the way to Seulgi’s dorm.

 

“So you are in my year?” Suho asked. “I would’ve thought you were my senior.”

 

Wendy looks down for a second before answering. “My health’s a little iffy, you see I have a heart condition. So I’m pretty behind on my studies from taking so many breaks.”

 

“A… heart condition…?” Suho frowns.

 

“Yeah…oh! We’re here” Wendy says, pointing at the door sign. “Thank you, I owe you one.”

 

Suho smiles. “It’s okay, I just wanted to help out.” His hand goes up to the back of his neck just as the door behind him opens. “But, maybe you could give me your phone number? Um, in case you need more help with school and stuff…”

 

“You are ONLY to talk about school stuff with my sister, got it.” Seulgi spoke, she stood straight, arms crossed. Not like the smiley friendly bear everyone knew her as. Oh no this one big bad bear Seulgi showing up. “And no coming onto her. Don’t you even think about it. And don’t bother her after 9 pm EVER. She needs her rest.”

 

“Uh…” Suho gulped.

 

“Oh let up, Seulgi, don’t be mean.” Wendy says, rolling her eyes.

 

Seulgi snaps her fingers to call Suho’s attention back to her. “Hey, I’m being serious here.”

 

Suho nods. “Yes, I… I understand, I’ll be leaving now.”

 

“Hmph…”

 

“Bye, Suho!” Wendy says happily. “See you later?”

 

Suho chuckles awkwardly. “Goodbye!”

 

Wendy sighs and turns to look at Seulgi. “Why are you the way that you are?”

 

Seulgi looks at her a bit sheepish before straightening her stance again. “I’m serious, Wan. Only talk to him if you need to. I don’t want you getting overly involved with him.”

 

Wendy rolls her again. “I get it already.” She complains. “He’s just a friend, Seul!”

 

“Boys will be boys, and you can’t trust them too much. I should know.” Her sister replies. “Anyway, if you get too friendly with him you’ll end up giving him false hope, you know that right?”

 

Wendy sighs before turning to look at Seulgi with a happy smile. “My big sister sure is righteous today… relax, okay?” She says with a chuckle. “I already have my eyes on someone anyway!” She shrugged.

 

“What? Who?”

 

“Thanks for coming with me all the way!” Wendy said instead of replying. “See you tomorrow at school!”

 

“Take care of yourself. And don’t forget your meds and be sure to charge that emergency alarm of yours.” Seulgi looks on as her sister disappears between a set of double doors and sighs.

 

“Eyes on someone, already…I really hope it’s not who I think it is.”

 

—--------------------------------


 

Us humans… we don’t like waiting around.

 

Waiting, to us, is torture… of the most boring kind.

 

A serene breeze passes through Wendy’s hair as she leans forward on the rail of the balcony enjoying her cup of tea still in her sushi pajamas.

 

Even so… there are exceptions where we’re willing to…

 

The door opens behind her, and she turns slightly, noticing the tired doctor coming back from her shift.

 

…no, where we’ll gladly waste our time doing just that.

 

“Ugh… had a ten hour operation today… my feet are killing me right now.” Irene complains as soon as she closes the door.

 

Wendy giggles. “Welcome home, doc. I almost thought that fatigue came from your usual lady-hunting routine.”

 

Irene huffs. “I’ve been stuck in the OR for two days straight, how would I have any time for that?” She says, leaving her things on the side table by the door. “And besides I always end up with the riskiest cases… I just want to sleep already.”

 

“Come one, you’ll be fine.” Wendy serves her a glass of juice. “After a pretty lady or two.”

 

Irene lets herself fall on the sofa. “I don’t caaaare about any pretty ladies right now! I’m just gonna take a nice long nap! Right here!”

 

“Here 's some oj. Drink up, it’ll refresh you.”

 

“Yeah, thanks.”

 

Because we believe that some things….

 

Wendy looks at the sleeping doctor with a soft smile.

 

…really are worth waiting for.

 

Doctor…Are you really asleep?”

 

“The hell do you think you’re doing…”

 

Wendy gasps in surprise before smirking… “Maybe… I was just thinking about strangling you as revenge for what you did to me last time…!”

 

Irene opens one eye and in a second she’s pulling Wendy towards her with a quick pull of her hand. “Ha! You really think you can strangle me with your tiny little hands?” Wendy yelps in surprise, blushing at the closeness. “I bet you couldn’t even squish an ant properly with these!”

 

“Hmpf… you really wanna bet?!”

 

Irenen wraps an arm around her pulling her even closer as she sits up and leans forward on the youngest woman. “Wannie… I’m tired. And you’re warm… I wanna stay like this for a bit”

 

Irene falls back while pulling Wendy with her. “I’m really sleepy.”

 

“Hey, hey, hey hey!! Don’t just fall asleep on me like this!!”

 

No response.

 

“Please tell me you’re just kidding around again… I can’t breathe with you clinging to me like this.”

 

No response… again.

 

“Wait. Are you for real this time?” Wendy pokes the doctor on the cheek. “Ahha… finally ripe for the pranking!”

 

No response.

 

Wendy looks at the doctor…her eyelids, down her nose, her lips… flashbacks of the night they kiss come to the forefront of her mind, she blushes and subtly before she can even stop herself leans closer to the doctor before she pulls back when hearing a ding coming from the doctors phone.

 

She turns to look quickly, the preview of messages shaking Wendy out of her stupor.

 

[Hiii baby]

 

[You free tonight, darling? I’ll be waiting at our usual place.]

 

[Don’t be late]

 

Wendy gets up shaking her head.

 

Me… I’ve gotten used to waiting.

 

She heads to her room not without one last look towards the doctor.

 

Because it doesn’t matter whether I live or die; I’m still gonna have to wait around, either way.