Part VI - Heartlines

Pulse

“He’s lost too much blood. We need to operate now!”

 

“OR is ready.”

 

“Get me some extra hands in there too.”

 

“Yes ma’am!”

 

“Seungwan!” Joohyun turns to the younger girl who was waiting by the sideline, trying to not get in the way. “Could you wait here for now? I’ll be back.”

 

“Uh..okay.” Wendy starred as Joohyun left, ordering people around here and there. “Man.. she’s so cool.”

 

—------------------

 

It’s not until hours later that Joohyun leaves the OR and it isn’t until she looks at the clock that she remember she had a certain younger girl waiting for her.

 

“Seungwan!”

 

She trotted over to the waiting room, getting to a halt when she saw the young girl laying on the waiting room chairs, asleep. Her features soften and produce a smalls at the sight as she walks over.

 

“Almost thought you left me without me.” She muttered. Carefully she carried the woman's bridal style, smiling softly as the girl cuddled further into her chest as she stood up. Carefully and quietly she made her way to an empty on-call room, setting the girl down with care and laying beside her. The adrenaline rush from the accident coming down and fatigue hitting her like a train.

 

A couple of hours later when the sun is setting when Wendy starts to wake up, she nuzzles further into her pillow but when said pillow moves up and down and smells like lavender, Wendy sits up quickly with a blush. Blankets pulled up her chest.

 

Unlike the young woman, Joohyun sits up calmly with a yawn. “You’re up early.” She said “How was it? Did you sleep well? You were out like a light.”

 

“Uhh… where exactly is this place?” Wendy asked. “And what happened last night? Why are we…” She hesitated, a blush reappearing in her cheeks.

 

“Oh this is the doctor's lounge.” Joohyun replied, leaning back on her arms. “Sorry about yesterday, it took a while before we managed to finish up… by then it was already too late to take you home.” She explained with an apologetic look. “So I kept you here overnight.”

 

Wendy hid further into the blanket. “So, then we didn’t do anything last night, right?”

 

Joohyun blinked. “Do what?” Amusement fall into her face as a laugh came bubbling up . “Don’t tell me you… pffft.”

 

Wendy looked away.

 

Joohyun loses it bursting into unrestrained laughter. “You really thought…” She breathes in, barely being able to speak. “You really thought I was going to ravish you?” She cackled. “Unconscious?!”

 

Wendy look at her with blush yet her face showed some offence. “W-ell, if you didn’t then you didn’t! Whatever!” She said, trying to remain casual, and not take importance in the way Joohyun’s tone suggested she would never look at her that way. “How would I know?! You were literally right next to me when I woke up!!”

 

Joohyun takes a deep breath and sighs as she recovers and then Wendy for the third time found herself once again trapped between a wall and the older woman, said woman leaning closer to her, the closest she has ever been.

 

“LIsten up, girlie.” She tilted her head. “Me, I feel no need to take advantage of, or to force myself on anyone.” She leans closer, “I do those things to people after I get their permission to. It’s called consent.”

 

Wendy from her side could feel a rush of heat pool in her gut, the smell of lavender invading her nose, her heart beating faster as Joohyun get even closer, so close their lips are inches away from each other’s

 

“Once that’s out of the way, then the real fun begins. Besides, who would want to mess around with an unresponsive log? Catch my drift?”

 

And then, just like the other times Joohyun steps away as if she didn’t just have Wendys poor gay sick heart beating out of chest.

 

“Alrighty! I’m gonna go freshen up now.”

 

“Uh..”

 

“Then the little lady can finally take her way home.” She turns to look to a still blushing Wendy. “Sound good?”

 

But poor Wendy was speechless, her mind still reeling. For that split second… when their lips were about to meet, she’s pretty sure her heart was beating like crazy.

 

—-----------------------------------


 

", Hyun. Please -" A woman gasped, arching up into Joohyun.

"You can have anything you want, Jiho." The doctor murmured against the woman’s neck. “But you have to ask for it nicely.”

 

A libido contributes to the fundamental human need to engage in ual . Meaning, even without an intimate bond like the type you’d have with a lover, given just enough stimulation…

 

"Please Joohyun…" Jiho said slowly. "Please touch me."

 

…It is possible for you to have with them.

 

"." Jiho gasped, arching up into her again. "Don't stop."

 

"Oh … !"

 

Love and , though they may seem to come as a pair, doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t be separated.

 

“Ugh…Ï really shouldn\’t have overdone it last night.”

 

Irene throws her keys on the side table, her jacket over the back of the couch and barely makes it to her own bed to fall into it immediately hugging her pillow sighing in contentment.

 

“Hopefully, they won’t call me in for a case or anything. “

 

Her eyes where closed, her breathing was calm, she was a second away from falling into deep slumber when the doorbell rang making the raven snap her eyes open.

 

“Damn it, people need their sleep here!” She complained. “Wrong apartment! Go away!”

 

Ding dong, Ding dong, ding dong….

 

“Jesus ing…what is your problem?!” She sits up, angrily running her hands through her hair. “I swear if it's another lost pizza delivery guy…huh?”

 

“Good morning doctor!”

 

Right there in her frontstep was none other than a cheerful Wendy, which in Joohyun’s opinion no matter how pretty she looked, she was still too happy and cheery for a barely awake Joohyun.

 

“Hope it’s not too early to bother you.”

 

Joohyun looks around the hall and down at the girl confused. “Seungwan, how’d you get here? Better yet, why are you here? Are not feeling well?”

 

Wendy looked at her as she had lost her marbles. “What are you talking about? I’m moving in, obviously!” She said, walking in to Joohyun’s home.

“Wh.. huh!?”

 

“You took me up on my challenge, remember?” Wendy said, as if that explained it all. “If I’m gonna make you love me, then I’ll have to be as close as I can to you at all times.”

 

“Wai.. wait.” Joohyun was fully awake now. “Even if I agreed, that doesn’t mean you can still do this, Wendy. How can you trust me? And what about your sister and aunt?”

 

Wendy gives her a handwavey-thing. “Oh don’t worry about that. I have their permission, my aunt’s met you before, too!”

 

Joohyun swears she starts sweating then and ther. “But–we– we just met!!” She says. “Aren’t they warming up to me a little too quickly?”

 

“Nah.” Wendy replies. “She says it’s fine because you’re a doctor.” She says offhandedly as if it was that simple. “Or would you prefer I rent my own room?”

 

“Uh–”

 

“Besides! Your apartment’s so close to the hospital I could probably walk there if I had to and being in the heart of the city means I’ll have a short commute.”

 

“Wait, how did you know where to find me?”

 

“I heard you tell the taxi driver after you took me home.”

 

Joohyun scoffs, hand goes up to her hair, shaking her head. “Hold up! This is getting to be too much..”She said, taking a few calming breaths. “Okay. I agreed to the bet, that part’s fine. But..” She said, raising her hand. “That wasn’t an invitation for you to come and live with me!” She sighs, looking at the younger girl's things on her floor. “You are not exactly the epitome of health, Wendy. I don’t have time to look after you all day. What if your condition flares up when I’m not around?”

 

Joohyun frowns, her hands form in fist when she looks at the girl who was playing around with the various decorations in her home.

 

“Are you even listening to me!?” She calls out. “I can’t just sit here and take care of you 24/7, this is serious Seungwan!”

 

Wendy sighs and turns slowly to look at the doctor. “You don’t have to worry about that. I’m an adult I know how to take care of myself. I don’t need someone catering me 24/7 the way you think.” She says fully turning around. “Besided, I got this.” Her hand goes up, as her thumb presses a button in the little device she was holding.

 

Joohyun looked at her expectantly.

 

Wendy looks down at her wrist. “Mm…3, 2, 1”

 

Someone else comes barreling down the hall and into Joohyun’s apartment out of nowhere, startling the doctor.

 

“Wannie!! Are you okay!? What happened!? Doesn’t the doctor live here!?” Seulgi stands in the middle of the room breathing heavily, fully ready to take action if needed.

 

Wendy grinned at the doctor. “You see?” She said, hand pointing at her sister. “Nothing to worry about.”

 

“W-wait you’re okay?” Seulgi asked, still panting. “You’re okay right? Why did the alarm go off?”

 

Joohyun chuckled. “Huh.”

 

“Sorry accident.” Wendy replied with a sheepish smile. “But you were off by two seconds Seulbear. There goes your record.” She said with a disappointed shake of her head. “Where you out chasing girls again?”

 

Seulgi shakes her head too. “Seriously, Wannie, no more funny business okay? I almost had a heart attack.”

 

“Oh so you’re complaining now? You’re my big sister. This is your duty.”

 

“Well that’s true but I was scared okay!”

 

“Well there’s nothing wrong anymore, so stop complaining and go home!”

 

“Hey, whoa! already!? I just got here.. give me sometime to breathe, geez!”

 

“No! And why didn’t you knock before coming in?”

 

“Because you were dying!”

 

“I said I wasn’t! It was an accident!”

 

The sibling went back and forth until Wendy was finally able to push Seulgi out the door, looking back at Joohyun with a casual smile. As if she didn’t just move herself in without permission as if her sister didn’t almost knocked Jooohyun’s door down.

 

“And there you have it!” She said, then showed the device to the raven. “This thing will send an alarm with just the push of a button.” She grabbed the dumbfounded doctor’s hand and placed the device on it. “This one’s for you, doctor. If the alarm goes off too long, then an ambulance will be called immediately to my location.”

 

“This isn’t funny, Wendy. All of this just for a silly little bet.”

 

“WHo said I was joking?” Wendy asked, and something in her tone made Joohyun realize that yes, this in fact was no joke. “I believe that I’ll be able to find fragments of love that are still in your heart, doctor. Regardless of what they may be buried under. And I’m still dead set on making you my heart surgeon.”

 

Joohyun nodded with a smirk. “Well, if you’re that sure, allow me to repeat myself. If you're serious about wanting to win this game… “ She steps closer. “I’m going to make sure you play by my rules.”

 

Suddenly Wendy is pulled forward by a hand on her waist, Joohyun’s other hand gets a hold of her wrist

 

“Shall we begin?” And once again Joohyun lips get incredibly close to Wendy’s “Let’s serif your heart can handle this, darling.”