Part IV - Still

Pulse

A/N: Short one today just to give you guys something whilst a finish the next chapter! Enjoy!

-----------------------------

“If I change my mind and agree to the surgery, will you be the one to operate on me?”

 

Joohyun stares for a moment.

 

“That’s not my decision to make.” She replies. “I’m not in charge of your case.” She stated, her hands going into her coat pockets. “Technically, even if you could ask for a different doctor, I don’t see a reason why that would be necessary.”

 

Wendy shook her head and turned back to the window. “Tsk… that’s too bad.” She shakes her head. “I was just about to reconsider too.” She then turns back with a sly smile. “I’ve heard that doctors are constantly itching to operate. Is that wrong?”

 

Joohyun gives her a look, knowing exactly what the younger girl was doing.

 

“Some doctors actually obsess like crazy over it, too.” Wendy takes a step closer. “What about you? Don’t you want to be my heart surgeon?”

 

“Well..” Joohyun begins. “You got the part about me enjoying operating at least. But I wouldn’t go so low as to swipe some other doctor’s case from right under their nose, you know.” She gave a pointed look at Wendy, who looked a bit ashamed. “I’m not addicted to cutting people open.” She said with a frown. “You make it sound so morbid.”

 

Wendy sighed and turns back to the window. “Doctor Cho told me I’ll be free to go the day after tomorrow.”

 

“That’s good then. Make sure to take care of yourself at home.”

 

“Once I’m out, if you’re not busy…” Wendy turns back with a bright smile again. “Wanna try going out on a date with me?”

 

Joohyun blinked. “I don’t do dates.”

 

Wendy deflates. “What even is up with you?” She said. “You really have no sense for relationships, doctor.” She shrugs nonchalantly. “ Well, whatever it doesn’t have to be a date, we could always just have a girl’s day out and eat or something.”

 

Joohyun chuckled. “Okay, I’ll be sure to call you when I have a day off.”

 

Wendy looks at her for a second before extending her hand. “Doctor could you lend me you phone?”

 

“Uh, sure.” The doctor replies, digging it out of her pocket. “What are you going to do with it?”

 

In a quick second, Wendy’s phone pings on her bed and once again the brunette turns to the doctor with a smile. “All done! Now even if you forget about it, I can just call you myself!”

 

“Uh…”

 

A date huh.

 

It’s been a long time since I last experienced one…

 

And decided that I never would again.

 

—---------------------------------------

 

“Doctor, here’s the patient’s chart you asked for.”

 

The following day Joohyun looks up as she heads out of the consultation room. “Thank you, very much.”

 

“Ahem…” Someone calls out from behind her. “I see you’re busy as always.”

 

When she turns around she can’t help but freeze up. Son Seungwan was standing there, appearing out of nowhere as usual except this time she wasn’t wearing her hospital gown, but rather a pink dress, with a white cardigan on top, her hair up in a messy ponytail tied with a red ribbon, she looked… pretty.

 

“My brother’s here to pick me up… I can go home now.” Wendy said happily. “So I thought I’d come and see you before I left!”

 

Joohyun only stood there, kinda speechless, a flush barely visible on her cheeks.

 

“Thank you for always looking after me.”

 

“Uh… sure.”

 

Wendy frowned. “Are you okay, doctor? Did I come at a bad time?” It was odd for her. Seeing the usually stoic doctor, a bit out of it for a change.

 

“Ah.. no.” Joohyun stood up straighter, recovering from her surprise. “I’m just not used to seeing you like this…” She said, gesturing at Wendy’s attire with her hands. “You’re usually wearing scrubs, is all.”

 

Wendy giggles. “Now that you see how cute I really am…” She said with a coy smile. “Is this enough to qualify me as a date?”

 

The raven chuckles. “Well, the proposition is tempting.”

 

“Hey, Wannie..”

 

Wendy looks over to see Seulgi waiting for her by the end of the hall.

 

“Let’s get going, uncle’s waiting for us.”

 

“Welp, looks like I’m off… I’ll see you later!” Wendy turns back fur waives at her with a big smile on her face. “Try not to work yourself into the ground doctor! Byyyye, Bye!”

 

Joohyun watches her go with a fond smile until her phone rings in her pocket, as she pulls it out to read the text she can’t help but shake her head with a laugh.

 

[From: Wendy]

 

Make sure you hit me up on your day off. 😛

 

—------------------------------------

 

Wendy and Seulgi arrive at their uncle’s home. It was a renovated hanok, it was contemporary yet didn’t lose any of the characteristics that made it a traditional house.

 

They two walk in, greet their uncle and aunt yet don’t waist too much time in catching up, as Seulgi excuses them both with the excuse that Wendy needed her rest.

 

“Rest up for now.” Seulgi tells her once they are in Wendy’s room. “I’ll get you something to snack on.”

 

Wendy hums mindlessly as she looks outside the window to the yard where her aunt had various plants and small trees, decorating the place. It was beautiful and peaceful.

 

“I already set up some stuff, I think you;ll like it here.”

 

Wendy nods and heads to the bed as soon as Seulgi closes the door.

 

She sits down with a huff. “It doesn’t matter where I go. It’s all the same.” She takes a longing look at the picture on her nightstand and sighs, letting herself fall back and lands on the bed with a thump. “Mom…dad.. you know that right?” She asked, looking at the ceiling of her room. “Whatever they do, I still don’t feel like I belong here anyways.”

 

—---------------------------------------

 

Looking out at the city skyline as the sun comes out from the inside of a penthouse, was kind of peaceful, it allowed you to see the beautiful part of a city without the unnecessary noise, doing with a cup of tea was a perfect combo.

 

“Morning showers are just the thing I need.” A blonde woman walks out of the ensuite bathroom, with a towel around her body and another one drying her hair. “You should have been in there with me, Hyun.”

 

The raven turns around taking a sip of her tea.

“I have a few hours before my flight.” She said, putting on her bra. “What do you say we go grab a bite to eat.”

 

“I’m fine.” Joohyun replied, turning back to the window.

 

“Hmm…” The woman walks over wrapping her arms around the raven's waist. “Got something on your mind, you y skilful surgeon?”

 

Again Joohyun doesn’t answer.

 

“Don’t tell me, you’re worried about work?” The woman asks, turning her around. “It’s not often that you get time off like this, why not forget about it and relax to your heart’s content?”

 

Joohyun smirks “Those things we did yesterday are already what I’d call a good night’s rest.”

 

The woman wraps her arms around Joohyun’s shoulders, closing the distance. “Don’t butter me up with that sweet talk. I know I’m not the only one getting this sort of treatment.” Their mouths touched. “That doesn’t make me want to taste your sweetness any less…”

 

She parted from Joohyun with a kiss. “It’ll be about two weeks before I’m back in town.” The woman said, putting on her coat. “I hope you won’t forget about me before then. And feel free to call me if you change your mind about lunch.”She said grabbing her stuff and heading to the door. “I’ll see you later, bye!”

 

“Bye.” Joohyun mumbled.

 

She took a deep breath and exhaled as she let herself flop down to her bed, she lay there, in nothing but a t-shirt, looking at her ceiling in thought.

 

Yeah.

 

Everyone who’d been with me understands well enough.

 

No obligation…no strings attached… it all comes down to one thing: .

 

She looks to her left where her phone is and reaches for it, unblocking it and going to her contacts, lingering in the name.

 

But no matter how many times I fill up with that, I’ll still…

 

She sighs, pressing ‘call.’

 

“Hello? Wendy here.”

 

“Uh.. hi.”