Part X- Question

Pulse

“Whoa! This looks really good…”

 

Joohyun was practically salivating as she leaned forward on the kitchen counter, a plate with shrimp pasta in front of her looking incredibly inviting. She watched as Wendy served a second plate.

 

“So you do have culinary skills, after all!” Joohyun said. “Looks like we won't have to live off takeout anymore huh?”

 

Wendy sighed. “I had to stay home with my mom for the most part. So I ended up helping her out in the kitchen a lot.”

 

“And you never mentioned how to cook… OW! Joohyun recoils her hand close to herself, holding it with her other hand.

 

“Not so fast!” Wendy scolds Joohyun, after having slapped the doctor’s hand after reaching for the food “I’m not finished yet, so don’t touch the food.” She says. “Go sit at the table and wait, please.”

 

“You’re pretty mean for someone so tiny.” Joohyun mutters.

 

Thankfully Joohyun didn’t need too long before eating, soon enough she was eating her pasta as she typed on her phone, Wendy uncharacteristically quiet .

 

“Forget housemate, you’re already a full-fledged housewife!” Joohyun jokes trying to get Wendy to speak. “There really is nothing you can’t do around the house, huh.” She looks down at her phone when it pings. “Oh, also I don’t think I’ll be coming back tonight.”

 

She stands up and takes her plate to the kitchen, “Since you’ll be by yourself , don’t forget the usual routine.” She says, returning and grabbing her things. “Be sure to lock the door and all the windows, okay? Thanks a lot for the food.

 

Wendy stands up and grabs Joohyun by the sleeve of her shirt. “Um, doctor…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You..can’t come home tonight?” Somehow Wendy hoped the reason was that Joohyun had a shift and not because she’d be spending the night somewhere else. “I… I don’t want to sleep here alone.”

 

“Segunwan.” Joohyun sighed with a light chuckle. “I just told you I wont be coming back.” She smirked. “See what I mean? I knew you wouldn’t be able to handle me. If you don’t want to be alone then it’s best that you simply return home.”

 

Wendy takes her hand back and places her on her lap, looking down at her food. “Right.”

What have I done…

 

Joohyun hesitates for a second before opening the door, sighing and shaking her head as she heads out.

 

She was pleading with her eyes and her delicate hands… and I rejected her.

 

—------------------------------

 

Music was pumping on her ears, people dancing the night away, drinks on the table and a girl pretty much sitting on her lap and kissing her neck, that’s how Joohyun found herself after leaving her place… and Wendy. Somehow Wendy’s eyes as she rejected her was all she could think about…

 

“What’s this?” The woman on her lap pulls at the emergency device hanging on her neck. Wendy’s emergency device to be more specific. “One of those emergency alert things?” The woman chuckles. “Don’t tell me you’re so worried about a patient that you’ve been leashed 24/7…”

 

The woman's tone bothered Joohyun to no end and so she pulled the device from her hand and moved away from the woman. “That’s none of your business.” She put the device back below her shirt. “I’m taking preventative measures. That 's all.”

 

The woman laughs. “Going so far just to be ready for trouble.. this patient of yours must be in a critical condition or comatose or something…”

 

Joohyun breathes in deeply, grabbing her beer.

 

“Well, you are right. Doctor stuff, it’s none of my business.. though you should really loosen up on your off hours. Work and play don’t mix well after all.” The woman says nonchalantly, leaning closer to Joohyun. “I’m sure we can find something fun to do at my place…”

 

“Not tonight, Bee.” Joohyun sighs, leaving her bear in the table. “I’m tired… I think I’ll just go home and sleep.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Sorry, let’s just do this another time.”

 

With that she leaves the confused woman behind as she makes her way through the crowd of people on the dance floor and out of the club. As she heads out she looks up at the night sky and then at her watch.

 

“2 a.m.” She mutters. “She must be dead asleep by now. Where am I gonna go now?”

 

—--------------------------

 

“What the hell kind of stunt are you trying to pull right now?

A sleepy eyed Krystal frowns at Joohyun who stood in front of her with a small sheepish smile, she leaned her head against her door.

 

“Do you even know what time it is?” She said quickly looking back at the clock in her living room “Learn some decency for once.”

 

“Let’s go drink together.”

 

“What? NOW?!”

 

“Where’d your hoard of fangirls go?”

 

“Nowhere I wanna hang out with you.”

 

“With me…desperate enough to come to me, huh? Something really must’ve gotten you down in the dumps, I see…”

 

“Look, are you coming or not? I’ll haul the booze into your room if I have to.”

 

“Okay, okay, I’m going! Jesus! Let me get some clothes first.”

 

And so this is how Krystal found herself sitting on the bar of a speakeasy both her and Joohyun frequented when they wanted to grab a drink without unnecessary music pumping on their ears and people grinding on each other. The reason for why they are here now, though, was far much more interesting…

 

“The way you described her… I think I kinda wanna meet this Wendy now.” Krystal chuckled as she her seat and leaned her elbows on the bar counter. “But, Hyun, this is really weird, you usually handle this just fine. Hell, she probably doesn’t even know if she’s into other girls or not.”

 

Joohyun take a sip of her drink then puts it back down her finger going around the rim of the glass.

 

“Could be that she’s just another curious kid looking for some fun.” Krystal continues “And once she’d had her fill playing with you, I’m sure she’ll get bored and stop.”

 

The doctor sighs. “I don’t know, I get the feeling like she’s not like other girls…”

 

“Don’t tell me a little lamb dragged you into the dumps.” Krystal chuckled, turning back around and grabbing her drink. “I’ve never seen you put this much thought into someone before… actually it has been a long time since, you know… how long are you going to keep up this whole emotionless husk business? Don’t you think it’s time you gave another go at opening up your heart to someone?”

 

Joohyun remained quiet yet her grip of her drink tightened.

 

“Nooo!” Krystal gasped. “Don’t tell me you have already fallen for this Wendy kid?” At Joohyun’s bright red ears she laughs even more. “Ha! I was right!”

 

“Stop! I- I won’t stand for this sort of bull from you!” Joohyun replies, flustered and stil with a red face.

 

Krytal leans into the counter with a chuckle. “Oh, Hyun, Hyun.. when will you stop being so stubborn? When are you going to stop torturing yourself like this? Just follow your heart, you never know where it might take you.”

 

Joohyun shakes her head. “Like I said Krystal… that’s bull.” The doctor says with a heartless chuckle. “This sort of garbage advice isn’t what I expected to hear from you, officer sadist.”

 

“Looks like I’m gonna have to make some free time to meet this kid.”

 

“Hey, no, you say out of this!”

 

“Oh, possessive of her too!”

 

“Shut up!”

 

Krystal laughs and looks at her watch. “Oh, I think I have to leave now. I can’t stay out til sunrise, I have a department meeting tomorrow.” She grabs her coat and puts it on. “You should head back yourself, doc. One less competent doctor isn’t going to help anyone.”

 

“Can I…”

 

“No. Go pass out at your hospital if you’re scared to go home!”

 

—---------------------------------

 

If you really must know… yes, Joohyun did end up at the hospital though even if she was able to avoid a certain small blonde woman, her mind seemed to conjure her up in her thoughts no matter what.

 

That kiss..

 

“Ugh, Enough of this.” She told herself as she moved to lay on her side and closing her eyes, her dreams filled with the girl she was currently living with…

 

The following morning she wakes up, yawning as she leaves the on call room she fell asleep in the night before.

 

“D-doctor?” Joohyun turns around silently greeting the nurse who just called out to her. “You were here all night? I thought you left…”

 

“Oh, I, um…” Joohyun smiled. “I decided not to go home last night so I ended up passing out here…” That’s a good excuse, beside she didn’t need to explain her reasoning, it was nobody’s business but her own…

 

“Would.. would you like some coffee then…?” The nurse stuttered, a blush coloring her cheeks.

 

“Oh, that would be sweet of you, Teresa, thank you.”

 

“Ah, don’t mention it!” The nurse said with an enamored smile. “So black, with two sugars and a splash of milk right? It’ll be ready in a jiffy! I’ll bring it to your office.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

With that Joohyun turns back and heads to her office, passing by the nurses station on her way there and noticing the group of on-call nurses around Nurse Jeon who, Irene notices, is wearing a cast on her right wrist.

 

“Dude, what happened to your arm?” Doctor Lee asks her. “Will you be able to work today? Also…” His voice falters, speaking quieter. “Your eyes are all red and puffy… are you sure you’re really okay?”

 

Nurse Jeon laughs his concern off. “It’s nothing serious… I slipped in the bathroom and fractured my wrist…” She tucks a strand of her behind her ear. “Sorry, I have to go…” She walks away almost colliding with Irene but stopping at the last moment and to the surprise of the doctor instead of greeting her with a flirty comment she simply looks away as she quickly steps aside and walks around the raven…