Part VII - Prognosis

Pulse

Joohyun opens her eyes to find herself kissing a bunch of papers.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Not so fast, doctor.”

 

Joohyun looks behind the papers to see a very flustered Wendy holding the papers in front of her face.

 

“You have your rules.” She said, looking down and up. “So it’s only fair that I have mine. Here are my terms and conditions. I want you to read through them.”

 

The doctor looks at the papers and they do in fact say Terms and Conditions and it seems to be several pages thick. “Is this…” Joohyun grabs the papers with both hands. “A contract?”

 

“Yup.” Wendy nods and walks away from the wall. “You thought I was just gonna take your word for something like this?” She explains as Joohyun eyes the papers. “I can’t have you breaking your promise on me! Make sure you sign after you read the fine print.”

 

“Number one…” Joohyun begins to read. “No resorting to force. If anything ual does happen, it’ll only be once both participants are willing.”

 

“You just made your stance on consent pretty clear so that shouldn’t be a problem.”

 

“Two, You have to spend time with me, Son Seungwan, for at least…you know what? I don’t care.” She said, throwing the papers somewhere on her couch. “I’m going to bed. Do whatever you want with your bull contract, I’m gonna crash.”

 

Wendy giggles as she watches the woman head to her bed.

 

—-------------------

 

When Joohyun wakes up, she finds she’s no longer half functioning, she sees the colors more brightly as one does with a full nights, hours of uninterrupted sleep. She gets out of bed and out of her room as she fixes her hair and notices the house is strangely quiet considering her new uninvited guest.

 

“Guess she already left.” She murmurs, looking around.

 

She heads to the kitchen and to the fridge where she sees a post it note stuck with a magnet on the door.

 

I made you a sandwich,

it’s in the fridge.

-Wendy 🙂

Joohyun sighs, “I still don’t think this is a good idea.” She walks to the guest bedroom and walks in, there were folded clothes in the bed, hanged clothes in the closet. “She’s really gonna move in? A roommate? Just like that?” She picks up a photo frame on the bedside table of who she assumes are/were Wendy’s parents. They looked happy.

 

Not long passes before the doctor takes a shower and gets ready for her shift. When she heads out, sandwich on hanging by the mouth, helmet on her hand, keys on the other, she stopped by a woman on her way out.

 

“Um, Doctor Bae?”

 

She turns around to see Seulgi standing by the stairs.

 

“Could… could I have a bit of your time?”

 

“Sure, no problem.”

 

The two women start walking side by side towards Joohyun’s bike.

 

“I’m really sorry about my sister’s behavior, doctor.” She says with an apologetic look. “I can see she’s taken quite the liking to you. It’s a bit surprising. Really… she’s rarely this friendly with anyone.”

 

Joohyun nods. “The move was recent, perhaps she doesn’t have any friends here?” She questions. “Are you certain this is a good idea? Letting her run off on her won.. Wendy seems confident enough but…”

 

“That’s why I have to ask this of you. I’m really sorry for everything doc.” Seulgi stops and lightly bows.

 

“Uh…”

 

“But if this is what it’ll take to make her agree to the surgery then I would like to ask you to support her through this as well.”

 

Joohyun chuckles. “I’d expect nothing less from a doting sister like you.”

 

A couple of minutes later the two are standing side by side in front of Joohyun’s bike, with a cup of coffee in their hands.

 

“Wendy’s still young…” Seulgi says. “She might be a little low on the waiting list, but…” She sighs, shaking her head. “Two years is still enough to give us some hope.”

 

“But refusing treatment was her idea, no?”

 

“Yeah.” Seulgi gives her a sad nod. “I… do kind of understand what it must be like for her, she’s never had a chance at life unlike other girls. I want to respect her choice, especially if this will be one of the few things in life she gets to decide for herself, but if there’s a sliver of hope... “ She looks at the doctor. “I.. I would still want her to undergo the operation.”

 

“I understand.”

 

“You-you do?”

 

Joohyun gives her a small smile. “Rest assured no matter what it takes, I’ll do what I can to make her agree to the operation.”

 

“Th…thank you very much doctor.”

 

But if she doesn’t need to stay on this earth any longer, who am I to intervene?

 

At the hospital Joohyun sits in an empty meeting room, everybody had left to continue their shifts, but she stayed, her finger running over the embossed heart on the emergency button given to her by Wendy..

 

“I have the x-ray you asked for doctor.”

 

Joohyun turns to her startled clearly deep in her thoughts. “Oh, thank you.” As she proceeds to open the envelope she feels a presence invading her personal space.

 

“You seem distracted lately… are you feeling unwell?”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

The red headed nurse leans closer, whispering against her ear. “I’m worried about you. We haven’t spoken to each other at all these days…”She takes the doctor’s hand, takes itunder her shirt. “I miss you, you know.”

 

“Uh…”

 

“Mm…” The nurse moans when she takes Joohyun’s hand to her . “Do I feel good for you?” She leans closer, an inch away from her lips. “ What say we take a little break…” She closes the distance pushing her tongue into the doctor’s mouth.

 

They continue for a few seconds, but just when the nurse was about to sit on her lap, Joohyun pushes her away. “ Wait, hold up. Not now, Hyun.” She stands up from the chair ignoring the frustrated look on the nurse.

 

“What..”

 

The doctor takes the X-rays from the desk and walks toward the door. “Don’t take it too personally, it’s nice and all, but I think we’d better save it for another time.” She goes to open the door but stops when the woman behind her continues talking.

 

“You… you’re terrible you know that?” The woman no longer sounds frustrated but rather angry and hurt. “ You’ve known how much I’ve liked you this entire time! Yet you’re still sleeping around!” Then her voice breaks. “I like you a lot. I don’t want to just be some toy you play with to kill time anymore. “

 

From the door Joohyun sighs. More than once has she hear this speech is why she’s alway clear with her intentions from the start.

 

“Is it so hard to give me a chance, to be something more to you?”

 

Joohyun holds the door handle, and speaks without turning around. “I thought we had an understanding before we started all of this.” She says. “ I can’t give love I don’t have. You can’t demand it from me either.” She turns back to look at the nurse. “ And aside from , you can’t hope for anything else between us, if you’re still along for the ride, enjoy. Otherwise, leave.”

 

Hyun stares at her, speechless, shocked at the cold look the doctor gave her, as if she didn’t care she had just broken her heart.

 

“I trust that you understand my position.”

 

—----------------------------------

 

“Ugh.. damn it.”

 

Wendy leans forward, and is barely able to sit on a nearby bench. She was sweating, flushed, sharp pain coming from her chest.

 

“ It’s happening again.” She reaches inside her bag. “I need my meds already? It’s too soon…” As she reaches for her water a stranger gives her the bottle. “Thank you.” She manages to say between breaths.

 

“Are you okay?” She looks up and sees a man around her age, sitting next to her, looking worriedly at her. “You don’t look so good.”

 

“All good.” She huffs. “I took my meds so…” She breathes in. “I’ll be okay in a bit.”

 

The man smiles. “In that case want some company for now? Just in case you need extra help?” He offers, kindly.

 

“Oh, thank you.” Wendy smiles back.

 

“My name’s Suho. Are you new here? I’ve never seen you around before.”

 

“Ah, yes… I’m Wendy.”

 

The two continue their conversation until a loud engine interrupts them, Suho looks up when a tall figure stands beside him…” Uh y-yes?” He asks nervously.

“Sorry to interrupt you two loverbirds here…” Joohyun who still wears her helmet looks at Wendy. “But I’m supposed to be the one picking up that half-pint over there.”

 

“Oh-O-Of course.”

 

“Hey! What are you doing! LET GO OF ME!!”

 

Suddenly Wendy finds herself picked up from the bench and carried over to the bike, and is placed unceremoniously on the seat with a helmet pushed onto her head.

 

“Put in on.”

 

“You’re despicable.” Wendy tells her, yet remains in place. “Why do you have to be so rude all the time?”

 

Joohyun lifts the visor of her helmet. “What, you’re not satisfied, shortcake? I came all the way here to pick you up, before you decide to kneel over and die somewhere.” She mumbled that last part. “But if you really need your fill of seducing random men, I could easily return you to that strapping young lad, it’s up to you.”

 

Wendy scoffs. “You’ve got some nerve!! He was just keeping me company because he saw that I wasn’t feeling okay--mmgh!!”

 

Joohyung tightens the straps underneath Wendy’s chin without warning. “Shut up.” She then got into the bike, pulling her visor down. “Hang on to me I won’t be coming back for you if you fall off.”

 

Wendy huffs, indignantly.

 

“Are you listening?” Joohyun turns to look at the younger girl who was pouting, and she may never admit this outloud but the doctor does notice how the big helmet combined with Wendy’s angry pout made her look incredibly cute. “Grab on to me, you ignorant brat!!” She yelled, except this time she pulled Wendy’s arms around her.

 

Wendy could only squeal as the bike sped up down the street.

 

—--------------------

 

“You didn’t have to come for me, you know.” Wendy starts complaining as soon as they get to Joohyun’s apartment, or their apartment she supposes. “I’m a grown-up, I know how to do things by myself.” Unbeknownst to her, Joohyun was rolling her eyes behind her. “And I wouldn’t want to waste so much of your oh so precious time.”

 

Joohyun sighs. Gay Gods give her patience.

 

“I didn’t want to waste my precious time dragging you back here, either, but I made a promise to your brother that I was going to watch over you.” She explains, leaving her things by the table in the hallway. “What would I tell him if something happened to you when I’m not around?”

 

Wendy turns to her, alarmed. “Huh? Seulgi?? What’d she say to you??”

 

Joohyun ignores her, and plops down on the couch with a sigh. She removes her jacket and throws the contract on the coffee table and begins talking. “Alright, let’s talk business. Your contract specifically.”

 

Clearly Doctor Joohyun was out, Wendy thought as she walked towards the living room.

 

“First things first, I will make no changes to how I’ve been living my life up to this point. And regardless of how this will affect our little game. You must agree to accepting the surgery, no exceptions.” She said seriously. “Even if I won’t be in charge of it.”

 

Wendy grins. “Hmh…fine.”

 

Joohyun smiles back. “Hmph… good that settles everything.” She reached for her pen and leaned down to sign.

 

**END OF AGREEMENT**

 

By signing this document, the individual agrees to the terms and conditions outlined in this document.


 

Son Seungwan. Bae Joohyun

Contract Signature Second Party Signature


 

“Here’s hoping lady luck’s on your side, squirt.”

 

And that’s how this stupid game. The game that I never expected myself to be crazy enough to play, started.