PART XI Do you love me yet?

Pulse

“Good morning.”

 

“Oh? Good morning.”

 

“Here you go.” An old lady appears on the other side of the door, carrying some clothes who appear to have been washed and ironed. “The doctor asked to have these washed. Oh and I’ll be coming to get your clothes every wednesday starting next week.” She said with a kind smile.

 

“Oh, thank you!”

 

Once the lady leaves Wendy looks down at the clothes, she had told Joohyun she was gonna wash these for her, but seems the doctor even threw Wendy’s laundry into the set…she really didn’t have to… with a sigh she heads to Joohyun’s room to put the clothes away for now.

 

When she opens the door she’s hit with the smell of lavender, a book shelf filled with various medical books and files. A desk with several papers on it, a queen sized bed which appears to not have been used in a good while. Wendy hangs her clothes on the closet then walks to the bed and touches it with her hand.

 

“Her bed… she doesn’t sleep much in it.”

 

With a sigh she lays down on it, burying her face on the pillows.

 

“It’s been two days…”

 

There’s the faint smell of sweet perfume, the one she always uses. Wendy’s mind starts to wander on its own, first she pictures the doctor’s beautiful face, her smile, her kind eyes, then she imagines her lips, and before Wendy’s can notice her hand starts traveling down her torso until it reaches the hem of her …

 

“Seungwan..”

 

Her mind seems to wake up in that mind as her eyes snap open and her hand comes back up, sitting up quickly. 

 

“, what am I thinking?” 

 

—----------------------------------


 

30 minutes away from the pair’s apartment, a very tired doctor makes her way down the halls of the hospital with what seems to be her 4th cup of coffee on hand.

 

“Joohyun.”

 

The doctors tiredly stops on her tracks and turns to where her name was called. “Yes?”

 

“How long have you been here? 

 

“T..two days, sir.”

 

“Have you slept at all?” That was her bosses way of saying ‘you look tired as ’ and honestly who could blame him, she had been sleeping here for the past two days, if she sleeps at all, she’s sure her face portrays just how tired she really is. “It feels like I’ve been seeing a bit too much of you around recently.”

 

Joohyun blinks tiredly. 

 

“Just look at yourself…” Her boss gives her a quick once over. “In that condition, I’d rather you just go home and sleep. You’re not an intern anymore, Joohyun; why do you insist on acting like one?”

 

“B…but…”

 

“This is an order, Doctor. Don’t try to argue with me. Leave and rest until you recover. I don’t want to see you around for the next two days.” Joohyun opens to respond but is  once again interrupted by her boss. “Have I made myself clear?”

 

Joohyun sighs. “Yes, sir.”

 

Of all the things the world could throw at me…I’m my own worst enemy.

 

That is, I’m scared of losing control.

 

—----------------------------

 

Wendy leans against the railing of the balcony, sighing for the nth time in an hour.

 

“Yo, stop sighing and eat your lunch already.” Seulgi says munching on her sandwich. “Quit moping around, you still need to take your meds, Wen.”

 

“Mm…” Wendy hums. “Say, Seul..”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Do you think I’ll be able to have ?”

 

“Pfhhht” Selugi chokes on her sandwich and coughs as she hits her chest trying to get the damn thing to go down the correct pipe. “Why are you asking me!?”

 

Wendy turns around and leans back on the railing. “Well, why not? You’re my sister, is that not a normal thing to ask? Why are you so surprised?”

 

“I knew it.” Selugi mutters. “That dude really was after you… I’M GOING AFTER HI,! HER’S GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME!!!”

 

“Wait, Seulgi stop!”

 

“HE PUT YOU UP TO THIS DIDN’T HE!”

 

“SEULGI NO!”

 

“SEULGI YES!”

 

“THAT’S NOT IT! He doesn’t have anything to do with this. I promise!!” She sighs and looks down at herself. “It’s just… with a body like this… even if I had someone, I’d probably have to end up having with them at some point right? But it’s me we’re talking about… the girl who’s on the ground wheezing if she does anything more than breathe.” She looks back at the skyline. “Even If I could, though… it would probably be too risky anyways…who would want to date or have family with someone like me. I’m not normal like them.”

 

“Hey, Wannie come on, don’t say that.” Seulgi gives a reassuring smile. “Of course you’ll have a family. You’ll definitely be able to do a whole lot more than that. And after you get that transplant surgery, you’ll be able to do anything you want. Just like everyone else! Whether it’s dating someone, or starting a family… you won’t be excluded from any of that in your life, Seungwan.” She stands up and walks over to give the shorter girl a side hug. “Trust me, We’ll stick together forever! Forty years from now… you’ll always be my sister, no matter what.”

 

“Right…” The way Seulgi speaks, as if she’s sure Wendy was having the transplant…

 

“But I still think it is too early for you to be thinking about , Wendy. But you should tell me if you’re really going through with it. Who, where, when…”

 

“Seulgi…”

 

“Or if you;re not sure I could get you some condoms just in case…”

 

“Oh my God, Seulgi, stop!  You’re going too far!”

 

—---------------------------------

 

I’m afraid  of losing control and putting her in a compromising spot like that again… But even so, I have to go back at some point. 

 

After hesitating, Joohyun takes a deep breath and for the first time in two days she opens the door to her apartment.

 

    And only now am I realizing..

 

“I’m ba..ck”  She stutters as the first thing she sees is Wendy standing in the middle of her living room with an apron ,her hair tied into a ponytail, giving her a welcoming smile.

 

“Welcome home, doctor!”

 

How good it feels to have this person smiling at me right now. 

 

Welcoming me home.

 

Joohyun smiles as soon as Wendy walks closer. 

 

“You got something on your cheek.”

 

—-----------------------

 

Wendy once again found herself sighing endlessly as she watched Joohyun carefully and meticulously assembling one of those cargo ship miniature models. 

 

“Aren’t you bored or anything?” She asks.

 

“Hm?”

 

“You’ve been at this for like… half a day now, at least.”

 

The doctor looks at her briefly before turning back to the piece she was gluing with a smile.

 

“I’m enjoying myself.” She replied. “You wanna have a go at it?”

 

“Um, I’m good, thanks.” Wendy replies. “It’s boring enough just watching you do it. I’d be more entertained watching paint dry at this point” With an exaggerated sigh she flops down the couch so her head is near Joohyun’s leg. “I mean a two-day vacation! We could be going out somewhere with this nice of a break.” She says. “We could be going to the beach playing in the ocean, or… or getting some fresh air walking along the shore stuff like that.”

 

Wendy’s eyes snap back open when she feels a presence near her face, she blushes when she notices Joohyun is in fact leaning forward so her face is close and above Wendy’s 

 

“Playing in the ocean, huh?” Joohyun smirks. “An interesting proposition. How about this, you wear a bikini, andI might be kind enough to take you there.”

 

“Oh- Oh!” Wendy chuckles nervously as she sits up. “You’re joking, right?” She looks down at her lap with a blush. “You really like getting up in my face to surprise me, huh? I’m not really good with that sort of thing.”

 

Joohyun seats back, rasing one leg onto the couch and leans her arm on it. “Come to think of it, though… getting some physical excercise in would do you some good in this state, overextersion is dangerous with a condition like yours, but some light activity would definitely aid in strenghtening the heart wa….” Both Joohyun and Wendy look at the table where the doctor’s phone is ringing..

 

“H-hey, Bee…” 

 

Joohyun stands up as she answers and Wendy sighs once again.

 

“Oh, I’m home right now. What about that night? What are you talking about? Oh no, no I wasn’t mad at you… I really was tired so I just came back home to sleep that’s all. Uh, dinner tonight?”

 

With a defeated sigh Wendy stands up and starts making her way out of the living room if only to give Joohyun some privacy.

 

“Ahh, thanks for the offer…but I don’t think I’ll be able to make it, sorry I already have an…appointment scheduled today. Gotta take this girl out for some light exercise out in the water. See you. ”

 

Wendy stops in her tracks and turns back to the doctor in surpise.

 

Joohyun smiles at her. “So, little lady, do we have a date? Go on and get dressed already.”

 

—---------------------------



 

“YOU BROUGHT US TO AN AQUARIUM!”

 

“There’s a water park at the top too.”

 

Wendy’s smile widens. “This is great, I… I’ve always wanted to come here!”

 

“We can have fun in the water here now. I’m saving your beach adventure for later, way later. Because I don’t think we can make it there and back in one day.”

 

Wendy nods happily. “I’m already happy enough that you took me here, doc!” Wendy’s almost jumping with excitement, she felt like she was vibrating. “This is so exciting! Let’s go! Let’s go! I wanna see the sharks!”

 

Wendy goes ahead and Joohyun smiles at her retreating form fondly as she removes her sunglasses.

 

After a lot of “ohhhhs”and “ahhhhs” from Wendy they stop in the giant display in the middle of the aquarium where Wendy takes one more picture of Joohyun. After that they head up to the waterpark at the top of the building where Joohyun may or may not have had a nose bleed after seeing Wendy step out of the dressing room in nothing but a bikini.

 

“Hey, that’s probably enough time in the pool for you, little mermaid.”  Joohyun tells Wendy after a a few hours on the pool, the younger girl was happily floating in the pool whilst Joohyun watched her from the edge. “You’ll get yourself sick if you stay there too long, remember your weak heart?”

 

“Oh come oooon… im having such a good time! Gimme five more minutes!” Wendy begs with a small pout. “Besides why should I be worried? I have a doctor right here…”

 

“Oh chilling out are we?” Joohyun watches as Wendy leans back on her ducky lifesaver, “Come on, doctors order. Unless you want me to drag you out there myself.”

 

Wendy gives her a look. “Fine, okay. Im getting out, your highness.”She said “Killjoy” SHe then muttered. “Oh by the way, today’s friday right?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“So it’s time for my weekly question…”

 

“Hm…”

 

“Do you feel like you are starting to love me yet?”

 

“Ah..”

 

For God’s sake, Seungwan…

 

Can you not be this bright and endearing for once?