Part VIII - Shock

Pulse

A/N:  So this took sometime, I'm sorry, but I'm back! Will try to not take too long to update again, promise I will finish this!

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------

“I did tell you, I have no intention of changing my lifestyle to accommodate yours by any means.”

 

Wendy was staring at the wall, with her eyes shut closed tightly and face beat red as Joohyun casually leaned against the bathroom sink, only in her underwear, mist still clinging to her skin and a small towel around her shoulders barely covering her s.

 

The above comment came after Wendy told her to lock the door to the bathroom, seeing as the barely awake girl walked in to do her noonish daily routine only to be received by s on display.

 

Joohyun took a sip of her coffee. “I’m doing things the way I always have. Nothing more, nothing less.”

 

“Ugh..” Wendy turned around, still beat red. “I–I mean, I know that…” She looks at the floor, still in shock. “But…that was back when you were living alone! You can’t call me rude for barging in!”

 

Joohyun blinked, shook her head and started getting dressed. “It’s fine, I don’t mind.” She said buttoning up her jeans. “You’re the one that’s flustered here, not me.” Wendy shivered when she suddenly felt the older woman's breath against her ear. Joohyun smirked. “So… if you can’t handle the heat, then give it up. Pack up. And scurry on home, love.”

 

Wendy frowned and turned back around full of confidence. “Who said anything about giving up? No one’s giving up here! This is child’s play!!”

 

“Mhm.” Joohyun leaned forward a bit giving Wendy a facefull of her black lace covered s. “You sure?”

 

Wendy flushed again. “Mmg..” She cleared . “Y-yeh…I’m sure.”

 

Joohyun smiles. “Okay.” She leaned closer and whispered… “You’re all red by the way.” Then as per usual she stood up straight with a friendly smile and walked away gathering her things. “Alright, I’m heading out now.”She said casually as if she wasn’t close to giving Wendy a heart attack. “Call me if you need anything okay?”

 

“O-okay.”

 

“And don’t forget your medication.”

 

“I know already…”

 

“Come to think of it, do you even have enough? Let me a look.”

 

“What? Yes I have enough, who are you my mother?”

“Come to think of it, we might as well check your heart rate while we’re at it…”

 

“I’m fine, you don’t have to.”

 

“But–”

 

“Alright, alright, just leave already!”

 

After she successfully pushed Joohyun outside of her own apartment, Wendy leaned back onto the door with a smile, this time her flush being for a different reason. Doctor Bae wasn’t as cold as she pretended to be.

 

—--------------------------

 

“Oh my God, that’s so cute.”

 

“What the .. leaving the singles club so soon, Hyun?”

 

The redhead nurse laughed loudly, discreetly looking back. “We’ve been going out for a while now.”

 

“And you didn’t tell us any of this earlier?” Another nurse said. “Rude.”

 

“It must be nice to have someone like that…”

 

“Yeah.” Hyun turned back for a second before plastering a smile again. “” I was kind of worried that things were moving too quickly at first… but Tom said this was just a little present he wanted to give me.”

 

“That’s so romantic.”

 

“Speaking of.. they’re saying the new nursing aide has a really cute face…”

 

Hyun’s fellow nurses continued to gossip about the new member of the hospital, whilst Hyun tried to keep up appearances but she couldn’t help the disappointment to show on her face as she looked back one more time to see Doctor Bae concentrated on her paperwork, as if she didn’t care at all…

 

—-------------------

 

Later that day Joohyun was at the locker room changing her scrubs when a fellow doctor talked to her interrupting her thoughts. The doctor turned slightly to show the other person she was paying attention as she continued to change.

 

“I heard one of you harem girls ended up running off to some guy, can you confirm this, Rene?”

 

“Hm..”

The woman grinned. “Doesn’t look like Hyun has very high standards, though… I mean this is Tom we’re talking about here.” She crossed her arms and leaned back against the row of lockers. “Rumor going around is that he likes abusing his women.”

 

“So? That’s none of my business.” Joohyun replied. Because it really wasn’t, her rules were clear, the nurse didn’t like them, it's not Joohyun’s fault or responsibility who the nurse decided to fix her broken heart with. “Why should I care?”

 

“, that’s cold, Rene.” The woman teased. “How would she even react to that answer?” She walked closer, “But hey…” She stopped Joohyun from buttoning up her shirt. “Your don’t give a attitude is exactly what I like about you.” She leaned closer until her lips where touching the doctors. “That glare of yours really turns me on..”

 

“, Soobin you really are…” Joohyun pushed the woman against the lockers. “A frisky little kitten, aren’t you.”

 

“Mhm..”

 

—---------------------------


 

On the other side of the city, Wendy distracted herself by tiding up the apartment a bit, is the least she could do for the doctor.

 

“Ha!” She stood in the middle of the living room. “Housework is nothing! I can do this all day, piece of cake!” She smiled, but slowly lowered herself on the couch as she winced and breathed in harshly. “Damn it.” She winced. “Those were just chores…” And they were, is not like she was running around either, she even took breaks in between so it wasn’t like she overworked herself.

 

“How am I gonna be independent like this?” She winced again, clutching her shirt over her heart, as she felt the sharp pains getting stronger. She breathed in harshly looking at the side table where her meds were, they were close to her and yet even reaching out for them felt like it took a gigantic effort from her part.

 

“… come on.” She reached out but breathing became harder, the pressure on her chest almost unbearable.

 

Meanwhile Joohyun looked at her watch as the elevator took her down to the parking lot.

 

“My friend’s having a bachelorette’s party, wanna go?” Soobin asked.

 

Joohyun smiled politely but refuse. “I can’t, see I recently picked up a stray puppy. I have to go home and check on it…”

 

“What?” The woman looked at her in disbelief “You? Raising a dog?”

 

“Yep.” A golden retriever in human form named Son Seungwan. “Maybe next time.”She said as the elevator rang. “See you later!”

 

It took no time to get home as the traffic wasn’t much at the time she got out, she barely skipped the high hour of it, having left a bit earlier than usual for that exact reason and that reason only, not because of her newly adopted puppy, no sir.

 

“Seungwan?” She called out as soon as she walked in. “I’m back!” She announced locking the door. “Are you home, shortcake?”

 

She left her keys on the side table and removed her jacket, hanging it in the closet still waiting for a response.

 

“Wendy?”

 

She frowned and walked around, noticing her apartment was tidier than when she left this morning. “Did she do this?” SHe continued to look around. “Shortcake? You here?” Her answer came when she walked by Wendy’s room to find her laying down deeply asleep, clutching her pillow. “Oh there you are.”

 

The older woman walked further into the room. “Rise and shine, sleepyhead.” She whispered, wanting to wake up the girl as it was still somewhat early. “This isn’t the time for you to be sleeping like this.”

 

Again no answer. Joohyuns eyes softened and before she could stop herself she was gently rubbing Wendy’s cheek with the back of her fingers as she woke her up.

 

“Mmgh..”

 

Her hand left the other girl’s cheek as if she was on fire as the younger woman sat up, groggily rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Joohyun has to admit that was kind of cute.

 

“You’re home.” Wendy gave her a sleepy smile. “Sorry, I decided to take a nap while you were out. I overworked myself cleaning up the place.. guess I must’ve dozed off.”

 

Joohyun grinned. “And who told you to do it, you little handful, you’re weak, know your place and learn to stay put for once.”

 

Wendy gave her a look. “You know people usually say thank you.” She grumbled. “Besides, what else was I supposed to do? You’re obviously busy, and I didn’t want to just freeload around here.”

 

Joohyun says nothing but stares at her.

 

“What? He-hey! What are you doing!?”

 

Joohyun calminly replies. “Just be quiet and stay still.” She says as if doesn’t have her hand reaching for Wendy’s neck. “I’m not going to do anything to you.” Her fingers press against her pulse point.

 

“Oh..” Wendy nods, Her cheeks blushing as it has now become a habit around the older woman it seems.

 

Damn this…

 

I can feel her heart beating strongly and clear through her soft and warm skin.

 

Joohyun looks at the blushing woman who was looking away shyly.

 

What’s in front of me right now is dazzling.. mesmerizing.

 

She counted the heartbeats. Her other hand settled gently on Wendy’s shoulder.

 

Her life in this world has only just begun, what a tragic fate it would be for her life to be taken back so quickly.

 

The younger woman looks at her, her eyes locking with Joohyun’s for a brief moment before she looks away again.

 

Those eyes…

 

Always with a glint of mischief…

 

The lips that compliment her face…

 

I don’t want the contact to end just yet.

 

But alas… “Okay, all done.” Joohyun says, pulling away. “I’ll make you dinner tonight. So just sit back and relax, okay?”

 

“Wait, you cook?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you sure? I mean I’m not gonna get sick from this, am I?”

 

“You’re a brat.”

 

“By the way, do you feel like you love me yet?” Wendy asked after sometime as she watched Joohyun cook their dinner.

 

“Nah.”

 

“Boo… you’re stone cold.” Wendy complained “Not even a little bit?”

“Nope.”

 

“You sure you’re not lying? I bet you’re just scared of losing…”

 

“I’m sure.”

 

“Promise me you’re being completely honest to yourself okay?”

 

“I promise.”

 

“No problem…” Wendy sighed. “I can wait.”

 

Joohyun smiles. “You’re gonna have to try much harder than that, I’m afraid.”

 

Wendy shrugged. “I’ll ask you again, the same day every week.” She said with a smile. “Until that day comes, the day you can honestly tell me you love me.”

 

Joohyun freezes for a moment, the other woman sounded so sure, it was almost as she somehow thought Joohyun has started falling for her, which was not true and yet…

 

“Um, what’s that smell?”

 

“Oh !”

 

“Doctor, your eggs are burning!!!”

 

“Told you not to bother me while I’m cooking!”

 

Soon both women were staring at the now ruined pan and eggs. “Okay, so plan B.” Joohyun says. “How does chinese sound?”

 

“Great, I’d appreciate some non burned food please.”

 

“Brat.”

 

—----------------------------------


 

“So why’d you choose me?”

 

“It’s not you turn to ask yet!”

 

Joohyun sighed, watching as the younger woman was staring in concentration at the barrel and analyzing where to insert her sword in.

 

“This is outside our game. Nothing to do with us playing 20 questions.” The doctor replied fidgeting with the tiny plastic sword on her hand.

 

“I was just curious I guess.’ Wendy replied, carefully inserting her sword. “I don’t know, just your uncaring expression…” She reached for the other sword. “It’s fascinating, doctors are supposed to be compassionate people, after all.”

 

“That answer sounds about right, coming from someone like you.” Joohyun replied, inserting her sword carelessly on another side of the barrel, smiling as the monkey did not jumped out.

 

“Damn it,” Wendy mumbled.

 

“There’s only one slit left…” Joohyun said with a grin. “Struggling is futile, Seungwan, my win again.”

 

“Ugh, who even gets this king of terrible luck…” Wendy raises her sword and stares at the offending barrel and the stupid grinning monkey.

 

“I’ll just ask my question I guess.” Joohyun said after taking a zip from her soda. “You’ve been completely cornered with no way out… might as well just give up.”

 

“Just ask you stupid question.”

 

“Have you ever actually tried making out with someone yes or no?”

 

Wendy choked, blushing again. “Huh?” Her eyes widened. “What kind of question is that!? That’s personal information!!”

 

“The rules didn’t specify that I couldn’t ask personal questions. All you said was that the winner gets to ask the loser anything, as long as it was one question so… answer it.” She grinned as she looked at the always blushing woman. “Then again I shouldn’t expect anything from an infant like you.” She teased. “I’m willing to bet you’ve never even held hands with a boy before.” She continued with a grin.

 

Wendy huffed. “Pft…pfft…” She looked away. “Kissing? Who says I’ve never done that before?” She bluffed, her voice getting suspiciously higher. “I was sleeping beauty in school, I’ll have you know.”

 

“That’s not making out, Wendy.” Joohyun replied. Then adjusted so she was sitting on her knees leaning forward. “You really don’t know, how to do it at all do you?” She teased again leaning closer. “We kiss, with tongue, the good wet stuff.”

 

“Stop! Stop!” Wendy yelled. “Jesus ing Christ, question overruled! No one should have to answer something like that!” She said, grabbing the lonely sword and inserting it in the barrel. “Damn you!”

 

And with a click the damn monkey shot out of the barrel hitting Joohyun straight in the chin.

 

“Serves you right!” Wendy said, standing up. “It’s your fault for getting all close like that!”

 

“Oh so you did that on purpose, you little brat!”

 

“Nope.” Wendy started walking away. “I’m done, I’m not playing with you anymore!”

 

“Hey! Are you trying to cheat!?” The doctor stood up and walked towards the other woman as well. “Hold up!” She grabbed Wendy by the wrist, turning her back around. “We’re not done talking yet!”

 

Neither of them know how it happens, only that at one moment Wendy was trying to get away from Joohyun and the other she was in bed, with the doctor on top of her and her lips, were surprisingly soft and warm, and tasted like strawberry soda and Wendy is not sure if her heart is beating as loud and as hard as it is because some overextersion or because of how good Joohyun’s lips feel against hers.

 

It didn’t last long, it wasn’t deep, but it was firm and with a purpose and just like it started it was over.

 

Joohyun pulled away, letting go of Wendy’s wrists. Shock in her features as if she didn’t know what exactly just happened.

 

“Uh..” She was flushing too. “I- I’m sorry.” She said getting off Wendy in a quick movement and walking to the door.

 

Wendy stayed in the bed still flushed and processing what had just happened.

 

“It’s late, you should get to sleep. Goodnight.”