Chapter 9

The Fight For Territory

Kevin looked up from where he was sitting, seeing Woobin standing in front of him. "What do you want now?" Asked Kevin as he tilted his head to the side. "I wanted to apologize," apologized Woobin as he scratched the back of his head.

"Apologize for what?" Asked Kevin. "Not putting my priorities straight," replied Woobin as he sighed. Kevin shook his head. "You wouldn't know priorities when you see it," he said, shrugging.

"I get it though, your priorities are with your pack, and considering that you're still an outsider to our pack, well," explained Kevin as he shook his head.

"I wasn't sure where we were even going with us being mates," said Woobin as he sighed. "It's fine," reassured Kevin. "Things are different for us, considering where we stand in terms of both of our respective packs," he added.

"You're an alpha, I'm just a lowly soldier," hummed Woobin as he went to sit beside Kevin. "If only you knew," grumbled Kevin as he closed his eyes. "What is that supposed to mean?" Asked Woobin. "Nothing, nothing," dismissed Kevin as he shook his head.

"Can I stay with you in your room tonight?" Asked Woobin. "You can't ignore the pull anymore huh?" Asked Kevin as he opened his eyes and turned to look at Woobin. "No," hummed Woobin. "I guess," Kevin said, nodding. "Just don't hog the blankets yeah?" He asked, trying to lighten the mood. "Hey, no promises," retorted Woobin as he snorts, shaking his head. Kevin let out a small chuckle, getting up and heading into his room. Woobin watched him go, shaking his head and staying where he was for a few minutes before getting up and following after Kevin.

 

~



"It looks like Kevin and Woobin made up," commented Juyeon as he turned to at Hyunjae. "It looks like they did," hummed Hyunjae as he looked thoughtful. "Let's see how long this lasts then?" He asked.

"I hope this lasts to be honest," remarked Juyeon. "Kevin deserves to be happy, and I know you don't see it like I do but Kevin's not feeling up to the best right now, his sickness may be worse this time around than before," he added. "Yeah, I've noticed this too," hummed Hyunjae.

 

~



Kevin and Woobin's lightened mood put everyone in good spirits, as everyone from both packs seemed to pick up on the fact that Kevin and Woobin finally acknowledged the fact that they were mates. Juyeon and Hyunjae had the talk with Woobin while it had been surprisingly Taeyoung and Seongmin who had given the talk to Kevin.

They knew that neither would do anything to hurt each other though, as Kevin seemed incapable of doing so while Woobin didn't want to aggravate Kevin and his illness anymore than he needed to. It was a touchy subject for the both of them, but they would avoid it at all costs.

 

~



Kevin ran patrols again with Juyeon, Woobin heading out with Minhee as Minhee's speed easily matched Juyeon's, and the both of them would run for help if needed.

It would be a while before anything happened, as Juyeon and Kevin were running along the northern half of the border. Something slammed hard into Juyeon, knocking him into Kevin and sending them both into a rock face they were running along. Kevin was the first to recover, getting to his feet as the enemy surrounded them. Juyeon growled, struggling to get up at first, the scars on his stomach having been opened and he was now bleeding. Kevin stood protectively in front of Juyeon, snarling at the wolves that surrounded them.

Juyeon fought down a whine as he stumbled, causing Kevin to turn to him in concern before the attacks came. Kevin felt something slam into him first, sending him away from Juyeon. The lead wolf grabbed a hold of the wound in Juyeon's side, yanking his head back and causing Juyeon to howl in pain. Kevin watched helplessly as another wolf soon had their jaws around his neck, biting down in warning as Kevin tried to move to save his best friend.

No, not him. Anyone but Juyeon. Please be fast enough, please be fast enough Kevin kept chanting in his head as he tried to move, growling in frustration as the grip around his neck tightened. He couldn't turn away, as they tortured his best friend and Kevin felt powerless in stopping them.

Juyeon tried to fight back, but his strength was failing him and he was quickly becoming weaker and weaker with the blood loss and the fact that his injuries weren't healing as quick as he usually would. He fought back as much as he could, but when he felt jaws around his neck Juyeon was forced to look at Kevin, apologies clear in his eyes before he felt the enemy wolf yank their head back and ripping out his throat. Juyeon collapsed, his body returning to human form as he died.

Kevin let out the most agonizing sounding howl as he watched the enemy kill his best friend. He snarled in rage, shaking his body to get the enemy wolves off of him. He lunged straight at the enemy wolf in rage, tackling them and making the wolves move away from Juyeon's body.

The sounds of howls from the rest of Kevin's pack came from somewhere nearby and Woobin's roar came from somewhere on Kevin's right. Kevin stood firm, snarling at the enemy wolves and lashing out when they tried to move towards Kevin.

It was then, that Woobin's bear form appeared, barreling into the enemy wolves that Kevin let himself collapse, whimpering in grief before passing out, collapsing to the ground and returning to human form.

Minhee ran into view, Hyeongjun right behind him as they attacked the wolves as a team, Woobin returning to human form and going to check on Kevin before going to see what he could do with Juyeon's body.

"I'm sorry Juyeon," whispered Woobin as he moved Juyeon onto his back, closing his eyes before moving away. He moved away when Changmin and Chanhee appeared, Changmin going to check on Juyeon and Chanhee going to check on Kevin.