Chapter 17

The Fight For Territory

Kevin came to terms with Woobin never being around again, at least without another member of his pack. Kevin had made it clear that he still didn't trust Serim to not retaliate. That was clear enough to Serim to at least keep someone with Woobin while he had visited anyway.

Hyeongjun and Minhee were back to doing missions, at least for the time being, taking care of any stragglers that tried to disturb the peace. They never went back to Serim's pack, though Kevin wasn't going to stop them if they did.

Hyunjae still stayed with Kevin's pack, officially being initiated into the pack with a friendly game of cat and mouse. It was more out of habit than anything, and Kevin knew that Hyunjae wasn't going to betray him or the pack as a whole.

 

~



"Why are we doing this again?" Huffed Hyunjae as he stood before Kevin as Chanhe and Changmin stood behind Hyunjae in their animal forms.

"Old habits die hard, what can I say?" Asked Kevin as he shrugged. "I know you won't betray us, but Chanhee and Changmin have been itching for a tracking run," he explained.

"I guess," sighed Hyunjae, earning a smirk thrown his way by Kevin.

"Let's go then!" Shouted Kevin and Hyunjae was forced to run as fast as he could in human form when Changmin and Chanhee immediately jumped to it.

 

~



Hyunjae was exhausted when he finally got back to the pack house, sweat covering his body as he returned to human form. Kevin threw a bucket of water on him to cool him off before throwing a towel and some clothes at Hyunjae. "Good job," commented Kevin as he Changmin and Chanhee went to change and clean up.

"God your two trackers are persistent," sighed Hyunjae as he dried himself off before getting dressed and turning to Kevin.

"Well, they are my best trackers for a reason," Kevin commented with a small chuckle. "It was enough to even give you a run for your money huh?" He asked. Hyunjae grumbled in response, turning and heading into the house with Kevin following after him.

 

~



Kevin couldn't say much about his relationship to Woobin though. Whatever was left of said relationship anyway. He knew from the start that it wasn't going to work out, but he also knew that Woobin was okay with it. As long as they maintained contact with each other, it would work out fine in the end.

It was one of those random days where Woobin was visiting with Wonjin, Kevin having nothing better to do but to entertain them as Kevin played a game of chess with Wonjin while Woobin watched.

"How are you already beating me?" Asked Wonjin as he made a move.

"Oh, that's easy, I remain unpredictable while you continue to use the same strategy," Kevin responded with a snicker, countering the move before moving his arm back to look at the board.

"I think he's got you beat there Wonjin," Woobin commented with a small chuckle, earning a defeated sigh from Wonjin as he made another move.

Kevin quickly countered the move, winning the game as it came to an end. "Checkmate," boasted Kevin as Wonjin let out a frustrated growl, getting up and having to walk away from the board to calm down. Kevin reset the board, sitting back and crossing his arms in thought when he was done.

"How are Hyeongjun and Minhee?" Asked Woobin as he studied the board.

"They're fine," hummed Kevin as he nodded. "They're out on missions right now," he explained. "But they'll be back soon I'm sure," he added.

"Are they happy with your pack?" Asked Woobin.

"They're happy, I think," hummed Kevin. "When I told them they could go back to you any time they wanted they said they'd rather stay here so," he explained with a shrug. "I haven't been cruel or anything, I just kind of let them do whatever they want," he added. Woobin hummed in response.

 

~



Wonjin came back once he was calm and sat down in front of the board again, watching Woobin and Kevin play against each other. "Who's winning?" Asked Wonjin as he examined the board.

"We're at a stalemate right now," responded Woobin as he made a move, causing Kevin to make a move to counter him.

"I think I got this though," hummed Kevin as Woobin countered him, taking pieces along the way. Kevin took a second to examine his strategy before moving a piece around before declaring a checkmate, smirking at the frustrated sigh from Woobin.

"I thought I had you that game," whined Woobin, earning a scoff from Kevin.

"I'm not the king of strategy for no reason now," sighed Kevin as he reset the board. "Besides, I didn't live this long on luck alone you know," he explained.

"I get it, I get it," grumbled Woobin as he moved, letting Wonjin take his place to play another game with Kevin.

"Has anyone come close to beating you?" Asked Woobin as Wonjin made the first move, causing Kevin to counter him immediately.

"Joochan," responded Kevin as Wonjin made another move. "I always ended up winning in the end because of my unpredictability," he explained with a shrug before countering Wonjin who grumbled at the move before countering him.

"Joochan just knows how your mind works," remarked Hyunjae as he walked over to look at the game. "I think Jaehyun has come close a few times too," he added, earning a hum from Kevin as he made a move to counter Wonjin and take some of his pieces.

Wonjin grumbled as he saw the way Kevin was playing before changing strategies and trying to go a different route.

"Finally figured it out?" Asked Kevin as he made a move, changing strategies again to throw off Wonjin who scowled at the board.

"I almost had you that time," whined Wonjin as he made a move, causing Kevin to counter him and declare a checkmate.

"Well, that's that," commented Kevin as he reset the board. "You two staying for dinner?" He asked, turning to Woobin and Wonjin.

"Can we stay the night?" Asked Woobin as he looked between Kevin and Wonjin.

"I don't see why not," hummed Wonjin as he shrugged.

"Yeah, you can stay," reassured Kevin as he nodded before getting up and packing up the board before heading inside. The others followed after him.

 

~



"I never got to ask," started Woobin as he laid in bed beside Kevin who was playing a game on his phone. "How's your sickness after everything?" He asked.

"You know," started Kevin as he sighed. "I haven't even thought of it, it's been so long since I've had an episode," he explained. "I guess relapse is over?" He asked. "I feel stronger now, ever since I awakened my alpha's voice," he added. "The others were concerned too, that it'd come back," he explained. "But it's been months since the last attack and I feel more at peace," he added.

"Well, that's good," hummed Woobin. "Any luck on getting to your original wolf form?" He asked.

Kevin shook his head no. "It just seems like he's not there anymore," he mumbled with a sigh. "I'm gonna try again at some point, but we'll see what happens I guess," he added. Woobin hummed in response.