Chapter 3

The Fight For Territory

Kevin let out a wheeze, waking to soft coughs as he turned over on Juyeon's bed. Juyeon turned over and faced Kevin, sitting up and making sure he was okay before getting up and helping Kevin sit up.

"Any better today?" Asked Juyeon. "I can breathe better today at least," coughed Kevin as he tried to calm down his fast heartbeat by taking deep breaths. "That's good," mumbled Juyeon as he nodded.

"You know," grumbled Kevin. "You don't need to fight Hyunjae for the best friend position," he added. "He was there for when we both started changing, but you were there for everything," he added.

"You heard that huh?" Asked Juyeon. "The bathroom door was open," scoffed Kevin as he got up, stumbling slightly before getting his bearings and walking out of the room. Juyeon watched him go before leaving the room and following Kevin into the kitchen where Hyunjae was making breakfast.

"Ah, the others went for a morning run," said Hyunjae as Kevin looked around the empty kitchen. "I figured they did," sighed Kevin as he sat down at a barstool at the kitchen island. Juyeon went to start the coffee maker, getting everyone's coffee cups and getting ready to make their coffee.

The others soon came inside after Hyunjae got done with cooking, everyone getting their cups of coffee and sitting at the kitchen table or kitchen island.

"So what's the plan today?" Asked Changmin as he looked over at Kevin. "We'll run patrols like normal, but just be aware that we'll have extra hands with us this time," explained Kevin. "Woobin, the guy that saved me the other day, offered his help, we'll be seeing more of his pack as they patrol around the borders to Russia," he added.

"No one goes alone, got it?" Asked Kevin as his tone turned serious. "I don't want a repeat of what happened, and with me being... Indisposed for the next bit Hyunjae is here to help out," he added.

"Jacob told me to stay around, to help out," chimed in Hyunjae as he shrugged. "I'll be here to help out when I can," he added. "For now I'll be running patrols with Juyeon," he explained.

"Who wants to run first patrols?" Asked Kevin. "We will," replied Jibeom as he nodded. Donghyun nodded in agreement. "Be careful, you know who Hyeongjun and Minhee are, and Woobin, but we haven't met the rest of their pack yet," Kevin said with a shake of his head. "We'll be careful," reassured Jibeom as he nodded.

"Be back in a few hours, don't tire yourselves out now," demanded Kevin. "We can't afford for you to become exhausted and get attacked on the way back," he added. "Don't worry, we have this," reassured Donghyun. "I know we don't want a repeat of what happened to Changmin and Juyeon, and we won't let it get to that, okay?" He asked. Kevin took a breath, nodding at Donghyun. "Just be safe okay?" He asked. Donghyun nodded. "We'll be safe," reassured Jibeom.

 

~



Kevin watched Donghyun and Jibeom head off once they were both in their coyote forms, Kevin's shout of "be careful!" not going unnoticed by the two coyotes who turned their heads back to nod before they sprinted off into the forest towards the borders.

Kevin watched them go, leaning against the railing of the deck as he fought from worrying about what might happen. He huffed out a sigh as he hung his head low.

"Why the long face?" Called Woobin as he walked over, Hyeongjun and Minhee's respective animal forms soon slinking off into the forest after Woobin got into view of the house. "I guess Serim is on it with the patrols?" Asked Kevin as Woobin stood within talking distance without shouting. "Pretty much," replied Woobin as he shrugged.

"What brings you around?" Asked Kevin as he straightened up and looked down at Woobin. "Ah, everyone's in pairs, I'm the odd one out," Woobin replied with a shrug. "I assume nothing's happened since the day I rescued you anyway," he added. "Not that I'm aware of," hummed Kevin as he fought down a cough, covering his mouth with his fist as he nearly doubled over from the pain if he wasn't holding onto the railing.

Woobin was quick on his feet, walking up the stairs and over to Kevin who quickly waved him off. "I'm fine," wheezed Kevin as he fell back, landing on his back on the back deck as he couldn't stay standing much longer. "G-Get Changmin," he managed to whisper, coughing as he to his side, blood splattering the deck as he tried to control his fast heartbeat.

Woobin ran into the house, knowing this was something out of his control, bumping into Hyunjae who was about to head outside to check on Kevin. "Kevin said to get Changmin," explained Woobin as Hyunjae nearly pushed him right back out the door. "I'm here!" Called Changmin as he ran over, Chanhee and Juyeon not far behind him.

Woobin moved out of the way, letting everyone get out of the house and Changmin ran over to Kevin who sounded like he was coughing up his lungs from how bad he sounded. The amount of blood wasn't helping either, but there was not much they could do there, except try to get Kevin to not choke on his own blood. Changmin got him to sit up, Chanhee coming over with a syringe of sorts and handing it to Changmin who injected its contents into Kevin's neck before handing the syringe back to Chanhee who went to dispose of it before coming back outside.

Kevin turned his head, spitting up the blood that was pooling in his mouth before closing his eyes and relaxing against Changmin's chest as he leaned back against Changmin. He stopped coughing for the time being, but there was only so much time before the next attack, especially since this relapse was coming quicker than before.

"What happened?" Asked Woobin. "Are you not aware of his condition?" Asked Hyunjae as he looked at Woobin. "I mean, I've heard of it but I didn't think it'd get this bad," hummed Woobin as he looked concerned.

"Kevin's going into a relapse, we're not sure what's going to happen from here on out until it stops," explained Juyeon. "He won't be joining the patrols for the time being," he added. "Hey, I'm fine with that," commented Woobin as he sighed. "I am the odd one out in my pack, everyone's already in pairs," he explained. "Plus Serim told me to I guess become the liason or something," he added.

"I'll keep an eye on Kevin," said Woobin as he looked at Juyeon. "Serim won't try anything, believe me," he added. "Not when I'm on the side of you guys," he explained.

"And if he does?" Asked Hyunjae. "I'm putting my life on this, if he does something you can kill me," replied Woobin as he shrugged. "You're really going to put your life on the line huh?" Asked Juyeon. "Is there something wrong with that?" Asked Woobin as he tilted his head to the side in question.

"L-Leave him alone," coughed Kevin as he opened his eyes, glaring at Juyeon and Hyunjae. "He's fine," he explained, moving to sit upright with Changmin helping, Changmin making sure he wouldn't fall back before getting up and moving out of the way.

"Serim contacted me about this already," explained Kevin. "Woobin is fine where he is," he added. "I don't trust you to not kill me when none of my pack members are here, but I trust you enough to defend my territory," he explained to Woobin.

"I don't think you have to worry about that," mumbled Woobin. "But don't worry, I won't kill you," he added. Kevin nodded, getting to his feet with Changmin helping him stand, Kevin walking with Changmin back into the house to get cleaned up. Juyeon went to get the hose to wash off the blood, Woobin getting a mop to help clean it up. Chanhee walked inside to check on Kevin and Changmin in case there was another episode while Hyunjae stayed outside to help clean up.

"There's more to it than that isn't there?" Asked Juyeon as he looked at Woobin. Woobin shrugged. "That's up to you to find out, isn't it?" He asked, putting the mop in the bucket and cleaning the blood off before squeezing the excess water out.