Chapter 7

The Fight For Territory

Kevin was not prepared for Eric's arrival, as that meant he screwed up somewhere. He had to have messed up somewhere, otherwise why would Eric get involved this early into whatever was happening?

"I'm sure it's nothing," reassured Woobin. "You don't understand," grumbled Kevin. "This is Eric," he explained. "I'm on the front lines for a reason, and he's in Norway for a reason," he added.

"You said yourself that you were an alpha," commented Woobin. "What's so different between you two?" He asked. "You'll know when you see him," replied Kevin. "Eric is different from Jacob and I," he explained.

 

~



When Eric did show up with Joochan and Hyunjae, Kevin was out getting groceries with Woobin, as they decided to get both packs together for a big cookout.

It had gone quiet by the borders, but that was because Beomgyu and Youngtaek were there again, and were willing to watch the borders for a few days while everyone got a much needed break.

"It's funny how when we actually have people on the Russian side of the borders they just disappear," grumbled Woobin. "Well, it lets us have a break for a while," sighed Kevin as he got a text, causing him to look down at his phone.

"Eric is there already?!" Exclaimed Kevin as he nearly dropped his phone, catching it and putting it in his pants pocket before pushing the cart full of food back towards checkout. "Were you expecting him later?" Asked Woobin as he pushed the second cart they had towards the checkout lanes. "Kind of," grumbled Kevin as he piled everything into the conveyor belt that would fit into bags, pointing to boxes of drinks and such in their other cart so that the cashier could get those.

Once they were done Woobin and Kevin rushed out of the supermarket and out to Kevin's truck, quickly putting the groceries away before putting the carts up and getting into the truck. Kevin drove off once Woobin was settled in, heading back to the pack house.

 

~



When Kevin got back it was to Joochan, Eric and Serim having a standoff in the backyard, the other members of Serim's pack flanking Serim and not doing anything for the moment. Kevin drove the truck into the backyard, stopping when he got passed the back deck.

"Eric," called Kevin as he got out of the truck after parking it, running over to said person. "I wasn't expecting you this soon," he commented. "I wasn't expecting you to work with outsiders, but here we are," retorted Eric as he turned to Kevin.

Woobin walked over, going to stand with his pack since he didn't want Serim to think he was picking Kevin's pack over his own.

"They helped us," explained Kevin, fighting down a shiver at the intense glare Eric gave him. "If they didn't step in while I was having an episode in the middle of a battle we would've lost Finland that day," he added, fighting down the need to submit and forcing himself to stand in his "alpha's stance" as everyone had called it. Serim didn't know he wasn't the real alpha of his pack, and Kevin was determined to keep it that way.

"You saved him?" Asked Eric as he turned to Serim. "Everyone did," replied Serim as he shrugged. "Even if his condition isn't public knowledge it doesn't take an idiot to realize that Kevin wasn't feeling up for patrols that day," he added. "But, if someone like him was going to run patrols and still fight for his territory in the face of death, they've gained my respect," he explained.

"What's your reasoning behind it?" Asked Eric. "Woobin offered his life on the line for this to work, which even surprised us," explained Serim. Eric turned his attention to Woobin, who shrugged. "Something just told me that I should help," explained Woobin as he put his hands in his pants pockets.

"Is that a good answer?" Asked Kevin as he took a deep breath, covering his mouth with his arm which caused Eric to turn back to him. "I guess," hummed Eric as he nodded.

"Just don't do anything stupid yeah?" Asked Eric as he turned to Serim. "If you do, you'll be facing more than just a pack of wolf 'shifters," he added. "No problem," replied Serim.

Kevin let out a sigh of relief as he slumped his shoulders, relaxing out of his alpha's stance and taking a step back.

 

~



The barbecue went on without a hitch, the banter that was between everyone quickly making the atmosphere light and letting Kevin relax for once, focusing on keeping his heartbeat normal as he sat back with Juyeon and Hyunjae sitting on either side of him. Eric was off to the side observing the people he didn't know in Serim's pack, which was pretty much everyone but Hyeongjun and Minhee who were chatting with Changmin and Chanhee.

Eric recognized Allen from somewhere, but he wasn't sure where. He decided to let it go when Joochan nudged him with his elbow. "Let them have their fun yeah?" Asked Joochan. "Kevin seems much happier despite the situation," he added. Eric hummed, nodding his head as he leaned back in his seat.

"As long as Kevin can defend Finland," hummed Eric. "He'll be able to, with the extra help," commented Joochan. "Let him make the decision," he added. "He's trying to prove to you that he can do this," he explained. Eric nodded.

 

~



Eric stood in front of Kevin as he and Joochan prepared to leave. "I understand your decision now," commented Eric as Kevin blinked in surprise. "Just be careful, and don't hesitate to ask for help, okay?" He asked. Kevin nodded, looking down at the ground. "I'm sorry I didn't go to you guys first, but just leave it to me okay?" He asked, looking back up at Eric. Eric nodded, turning and leaving with Joochan. Kevin watched them go, huffing out a sigh before turning to Juyeon who walked over with Hyunjae after changing to their animal forms.

"Time for patrols already?" Asked Kevin as he looked at Juyeon. Juyeon nodded. "Be safe yeah?" Asked Kevin. Juyeon bowed his head before turning and running off, Hyunjae following after him.

"Back at it again," sighed Kevin before he turned and walked back into the house.