One: When we were kids

Hello Chingu!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Spring 1996

 

“Got you” The little boy picks up the rolled soccer ball.

 

 

“Taengoo!” The little boy turns his head and sees a girl in a pink dress not far from the playground shouting his name.

 

 

“Hey Taeng! What are you doing?” The 7-years-old boy looks back at his friends. “Give us the ball!” One of them shouts and points at the soccer ball in his hands. Taeyeon kicks the ball to them before running towards the little girl.

 

 

“Hey! Where are you going? Are you not going to play?”

 

 

“You guys play first! I will join later!” Taeyeon says. As soon as he reaches the little girl, he notices a sad face on her.

 

 

“What’s wrong, Ppany?” He asks with concern

 

 

“R-romeo…” Tiffany clenches her pink dress tightly, trying to hold her tears from falling.

 

 

“Romeo? What’s wrong with him?” Taeyeon remembers the abandoned white puppy they found last month in a small box in their neighborhood. Tiffany was falling in love with the puppy and decided to bring him home and name him ‘Romeo”

 

 

“R-romeo is… R-romeo is missing” The little girl cannot hold her tears anymore and crying out of her heart. The puppy she really loves and adores is missing. “W-when I got home, I couldn't find him and mommy also didn't notice when Romeo was missing”

 

 

“Hey hey, don’t cry Ppany-ah. Maybe he just walks out for a while. He'll come back later” The boy tries to comfort his friend.

 

 

“No! Romeo is always waiting for me to take him for a walk. He never goes out alone. What if someone tries to kidnap him?!” Tiffany sniffs while trying to talk properly.

 

 

“Hmmm let’s search for him first. Who knows someone might see him somewhere around here.” Taeyeon says. Tiffany nods, tears still rolling out of her eyes.

 

 

“But you must stop crying first. Romeo won’t be happy if he saw you cry like this” Taeyeon cheers her up and lets out a soft smile as he wipes her tears. Tiffany sobs while nodding. She then stops crying and sniffing, wiping her runny nose.

 

 

“Let’s go” Taeyeon takes her hand in his and pulls her away from the playground.

 

 

The two little friends walk in their neighborhood area while searching for the lost puppy. Taeyeon asks the people around the area whether anyone has seen the puppy, but no one has. Taeyeon bows politely before pulling Tiffany with him. It was late evening when they returned to the playground with disappointed feelings. Tiffany sighs deeply.

 

 

“We should go home now, Ppany. It’s late already” Taeyeon says

 

 

“What should I do? Romeo must be scared. He is alone” Tiffany is about to cry again as she remembers the puppy.

 

 

“Don’t cry, okay? We can try finding him again tomorrow. It is late now, let me walk you home”

 

 

Tiffany gives him a nod and the two walk towards Tiffany's house hand in hand.  On their way home, Taeyeon and Tiffany turn their heads when hearing someone calling their names.

 

 

“Tiffany? Taeyeon?”

 

 

“Daddy!” Tiffany runs to her dad who just got back from his workplace. He lifts his little girl and carries her in his arms. He notices the girl’s red eyes.

 

 

“Aigoo, what’s wrong, Princess?” He asks when the little girl is wrapping her arms around her dad’s neck and hiding her crying face.

 

 

“Hello, uncle.” Taeyeon bows politely.

 

 

“Hello Taeyeon” Mr. Hwang smiles “What’s wrong with her?” Mr. Hwang mouths in a low voice to the little boy while patting softly on his daughter’s back.

 

 

“Romeo is missing. We tried looking for him but couldn't find him." Taeyeon explains.

 

 

“Owhh” Mr.Hwang nods, understanding. “Did you close the door properly before going to school this morning, princess?” he asks her daughter.

 

 

“I did! I even said goodbye to him before going to school” Tiffany looks at her dad.

 

 

Mr.Hwang nods before continuing “Do you love Romeo?”

 

 

“Of course I do!”

 

 

“Then he will come home later to our home because Romeo loves you too. He won’t leave you, princess” He smiles as comforting his daughter.

 

 

“Are you sure daddy?”

 

 

“Yup!”

 

 

“We can try again tomorrow, Ppany” Taeyeon says

 

 

“See? You have Taengoo here to help you. So don’t be sad, princess” Mr. Hwang smiles at his daughter.

 

 

“Okay, daddy…” The girl nods

 

 

“We should go home. Mommy will look for you if you don’t go home now. And you too, Taeyeon”

 

 

“Yes, uncle. See you tomorrow” Taeyeon says before running to go home, not forget to say bye to them.

 

 

“Be careful on your way home, Taeyeon”

 

 

“Bye Taengoo!” Tiffany shouts to her friend.

 

 

“Bye crybaby!”

 

 

“Yah!” Tiffany yells, making Mr.Hwang laugh and agree with Taeyeon.

 

 

“Daddy!” Tiffany whines

 

 

“What? He’s right” Mr. Hwang shrugs his shoulders, and earns a punch on the shoulder from his daughter.

 

 

“Let’s go home. I can’t wait to have dinner” He says to his sulking daughter.

 

 

“Okay”

 

…..

 

 

The next day comes. After school, Tiffany rushes out of her house to meet Taeyeon at the playground.

 

 

“Aish, where did that puppy go?” Taeyeon sighs as he sits on the swing next to Tiffany’s.

 

 

"What if Romeo is actually taken by bad guys?” Tiffany looks down and bites her lips. Tears formed in her eyes.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter